ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon’s Roster

Chicagoherky71

Team MVP
Nov 20, 2007
I know they lost in double OT tonight but I am so envious of players on their roster. Very athletic, great defensive players, and fun to watch.

They had Creighton on the ropes and choked! Why the hell can Altman recruit those players year after year and Fran only gets tall, lanky, slow guards who can’t defend or slash!

If they had a consistent 3rd scorer they would’ve been very dangerous. Also the PAC 12 was undervalued so they got a horrible draw.

You're envious over a Pac 10 (now Big10) team with a ton of resources that lost. How about little ol Gonzaga from the West Coast Conference who will be playing in the Sweet 16 for the 9th straight year. NiNE 5TRAIGHT!!!

College football and basketball have always been about the guy at the top. Gonzaga didn't become great because of anything other than Mark Few. He built a national brand that competes for championships every year.

You're envious over a Pac 10 (now Big10) team with a ton of resources that lost. How about little ol Gonzaga from the West Coast Conference who will be playing in the Sweet 16 for the 9th straight year. NiNE 5TRAIGHT!!!

College football and basketball have always been about the guy at the top. Gonzaga didn't become great because of anything other than Mark Few. He built a national brand that competes for championships every year.

This. We don't need to look at how Oregon is doing things, as we don't have Nike pumping money.

You find the right coach and don't settle for mediocrity for 20 years (it's very likely that Fran will be close to 20 years before we see a change.... Yay maybe I'll see a couple more coaches and a couple rounds of 32 appearances in the rest of my life). Lofty goals at IOWA

Gonzaga doesn’t play football so they put all their resources into bball. And it doesn’t hurt they have a coach like Mark Few take over for Dan Monson that went to Minny, got fired, at LBS where he just made the tourney after being told he will no longer be the coach after a 17 year run.

I know they lost in double OT tonight but I am so envious of players on their roster. Very athletic, great defensive players, and fun to watch.

They had Creighton on the ropes and choked! Why the hell can Altman recruit those players year after year and Fran only gets tall, lanky, slow guards who can’t defend or slash!
Seriously? Do you think Nike $ has anything to do with their players? It's kind of amazing they are as bad as they are with all the resources they have.

Or what about Creighton's roster? Looking at their racial make up, they aren't exactly super athletic, but they were an eyelash away from the FF last year, and here they are, right back in the Sweet 16 again. We'll see how far they get.

Yeah, I want to see more athletic players also, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that Fran just ain't that great of a coach.

Some players Fran has had at his disposal: Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok, Gesell, Woody, Jbo, Weezy, Fredrick, Garza, the Murray twins, Perkins, Sandfort.. And what does he have to show for it? 4 NCAA wins in 14 years. No we aren't talking Michigan Fab 5 talent, but his rosters haven't exactly been devoid of talent and shouldve been able to at least win 2 NCAA games back to back and get out of the first weekend by now. IMO it's hard to find a coach that has done less with more.

Well you might ask Dana how they lost 11 games with that roster, in particular to 13-18 Cal about 8 games ago🤷‍♂️

Gonzaga doesn’t play football so they put all their resources into bball. And it doesn’t hurt they have a coach like Mark Few take over for Dan Monson that went to Minny, got fired, at LBS where he just made the tourney after being told he will no longer be the coach after a 17 year run.
Agree, it's all about that head man being able to bring in sufficient talent AND be able to coach them up.

Reactions: intrepodor
Or what about Creighton's roster? Looking at their racial make up, they aren't exactly super athletic, but they were an eyelash away from the FF last year, and here they are, right back in the Sweet 16 again. We'll see how far they get.

Yeah, I want to see more athletic players also, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that Fran just ain't that great of a coach.

Some players Fran has had at his disposal: Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok, Gesell, Woody, Jbo, Weezy, Fredrick, Garza, the Murray twins, Perkins, Sandfort.. And what does he have to show for it? 4 NCAA wins in 14 years. No we aren't talking Michigan Fab 5 talent, but his rosters haven't exactly been devoid of talent and shouldve been able to at least win 2 NCAA games back to back and get out of the first weekend by now. IMO it's hard to find a coach that has done less with more.
Matt Painter? 🙂. I agree, seeing Creighton excel tells me Fran as a coach is the main problem while recruiting is just part of it though…

Fran is a decent offensive-minded coach, but apparently puts no emphasis on defense.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
A group of Nike executives formed a collective for Duck sports.
I suspect Phil knight's on there booster list.
Oregon is established as a brand , like Nike, in the market.
They will never lack talent in FB or BB.
BIG get ready.

As for Iowa BB under Fran...competitive, respectable...but always with enough holes in talent to keep us from the brass ring.
Kind of like some of our offensive lines that had all- Americans ( Lindebaum, Wirf Brandon)but the. other guys were just ok which made the unit so-so.

Last edited:
Fran is a decent offensive-minded coach, but apparently puts no emphasis on defense.
Agreed. He's great at offense, but that's only half the game....

Fran's teams do well when they're burning the nets (see 2nd half against Tennessee a few years ago) but if the shots stop falling, then it's game over against any other strong opponent.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

Gonzo also doesn't have football eating the majority of an AD budget. Look UConn, Villanova, Creighton, etc. There's a reason the Big East is powerful in basketball.

McDermott is a far better coach than Fran. Love to see them make it to final 4 this year. Another thing as mentioned that helps lot of big east schools. They don’t have football programs so bulk of NIL focused on b-ball. That’s how Creighton was able to land one of the top portal guys in the nation 2 years ago with Baylor scheirman from sdsu.

A group of Nike executives formed a collective for Duck sports.
I suspect Phil knight's on there booster list.
Oregon is established as a brand , like Nike, in the market.
They will never lack talent in FB or BB.
BIG get ready.

As for Iowa BB under Fran...competitive, respectable...but always with enough holes in talent to keep us from the brass ring.
Kind of like some of our offensive lines that had all- Americans ( Lindebaum, Wirf Brandon)but the. other guys were just ok which made the unit so-so.
Oregons nil is light years ahead of iowas. If you’re going to do business with nike or the school you better contribute.
Brads done a great job with the swarm but has his hands tied compared to schools like oregon.

NIKE... we don't have a sugar daddy.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Gonzo also doesn't have football eating the majority of an AD budget. Look UConn, Villanova, Creighton, etc. There's a reason the Big East is powerful in basketball.
You really believe that Few started off with more resources at 7,000 student West Coast Gonzaga than Big10 Iowa basketball has today? Sorry, but it's not even close.

Also, NIL has become an excuse for failure at struggling programs all over the country.

NIKE... we don't have a sugar daddy.

ISU roster costs $1.2 million... there has to be over a million Iowa Hawkeye fans and we can't come up with $1.2 million in NIL? We just need better leadership at the HC--- a guy that excites the base, wins games in NCAA tourney, gets donors/fans to part with NIL money. Fran does a good job of turning off a segment of the fan base and apparently his Fans aren't putting money where there mouths are.

I do agree having a Billionaire sponsor makes it easy.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
You really believe that Few started off with more resources at 7,000 student West Coast Gonzaga than Big10 Iowa basketball has today? Sorry, but it's not even close.

Also, NIL has become an excuse for failure at struggling programs all over the country.
Traditionally programs battling for recruits would get big-footed by blue bloods( Tyler Ulis to Kentucky) or programs with strong winning legacy(Zags) but with NIL there is a new challenge...beating programs like Tenn who outbidded Iowa for a big recruit last year.

To suggest that lack of NIL money to compete for top recruits is just an excuse is head in sand thinking.

It's like saying the Pittsburgh Pirates have no excuses for not beating the Dodgers to the world series this year.
Iowa is the Pirates in college BB.

Reactions: iahawks10
Traditionally programs battling for recruits would get big-footed by blue bloods( Tyler Ulis to Kentucky) or programs with strong winning legacy(Zags) but with NIL there is a new challenge...beating programs like Tenn who outbidded Iowa for a big recruit last year.

To suggest that lack of NIL money to compete for top recruits is just an excuse is head in sand thinking.

It's like saying the Pittsburgh Pirates have no excuses for not beating the Dodgers to the world series this year.
Iowa is the Pirates in college BB.
Iowa was a mediocre program before NIL. It's a mediocre program today. Nothing has changed.

I could argue with you and answer with Coach Cal at Kentucky but your point is valid still. Cal has maybe underachieved with great one and done talent.
Fran meanwhile has had 4 wins with almost exclusively experienced upperclassmen talent on the roster.

You're envious over a Pac 10 (now Big10) team with a ton of resources that lost.
Yes, which is exactly what he said in his OP. That they were athletic and fun to watch.

The fact some of you guys bring up Gonzaga is incontrovertible proof some of you just don’t get it. Iowa is not close to Oregon’s level (as proven in the tournament a couple years ago), but you want to belittle Oregon because they aren’t Gonzaga?

Lol. Okay. Let me know when Iowa moves on from an ill-tempered coach who can’t or won’t teach defense and in a decade and a half can’t once get out of the first weekend of the tournament. Then maybe y’all can talk about Oregon. Lol.

As a team that emphasizes offensive, here's a question for you, what kind of defensive would you like to see Iowa play that is any different then what they do now. Take in consideration that Iowa normally doesn't get a boat full of 4 and 5 star players.
Also take in consideration how much energy are you expecting the players to exert playing the defense that you wish Iowa would incorporate. The more tired the players get, more fouls are going to happen.
Really, the more defense you put into the game the slower the game becomes, is that what you want Iowa to focus on. Less offense more defense. You can't have both.
Yes, if Iowa concentrated on playing defense, that could produce turnovers that could result in offense, but that's not Fran's system though. Just like to see your take on it.
Remember one of Iowa's greatest teams, the 1970 Hawkeye's averaged almost 99 points a game and went undefeated in the Big Ten while giving up a staggering 87 points a game. does that sound or look familiar?

During one of the few Iowa coach changes I've witnessed, I remember some Dana Altman to Iowa talk during one of them. I think he was at Creighton at the time and towards the end. Nothing too serious, maybe just wishing by some people, but either way I now consider that an opportunity lost.

I could argue with you and answer with Coach Cal at Kentucky but your point is valid still. Cal has maybe underachieved with great one and done talent.
Fran meanwhile has had 4 wins with almost exclusively experienced upperclassmen talent on the roster.
Yeah that's kind of what I'm getting at. Maybe Calipari is not that spectacular of a coach, given the talent he's had at his disposal, which is definitely superior to Fran's. Still, he has a title and would have two if his Memphis team could've made some FTs late against Kansas in that title game (2008?). His teams have fallen flat early in the tournament in recent years, though.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Yes, which is exactly what he said in his OP. That they were athletic and fun to watch.

The fact some of you guys bring up Gonzaga is incontrovertible proof some of you just don’t get it. Iowa is not close to Oregon’s level (as proven in the tournament a couple years ago), but you want to belittle Oregon because they aren’t Gonzaga?

Lol. Okay. Let me know when Iowa moves on from an ill-tempered coach who can’t or won’t teach defense and in a decade and a half can’t once get out of the first weekend of the tournament. Then maybe y’all can talk about Oregon. Lol.
Agreed. At this point I’m ready to open the bank up for Shaka Smart who currently makes less than Fran. We need to get WAY WAY more athletic and still mix in guys from Iowa who can flat shoot the ball. Basically the Marquette blueprint.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

I think you missed the point. My point was that all of this whining about NIL and Nike in this thread and how Iowa can't compete with those kinds of resources is nonsensical. Oregon definitely has more NIL and resources to allocate. It still doesn't guarantee success. We have seen over and over in college football and basketball that success is all about the coach, regardless of the resources available.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I think you missed the point. My point was that all of this whining about NIL and Nike in this thread and how Iowa can't compete with those kinds of resources is nonsensical. Oregon definitely has more NIL and resources to allocate. It still doesn't guarantee success. We have seen over and over in college football and basketball that success is all about the coach, regardless of the resources available.
Thank you for clarifying. No, you’re right. I totally agree with you and understand your point entirely. I was just reading so many posts about Oregon having all this NIL money compared to Gonzaga and blah blah blah.

Yes, some teams will be able to bring in more highly regarded talent than Iowa because of NIL money, but let’s not pretend that’s all there is to it. The fact is Iowa wasn’t out recruiting a bunch of teams before NIL, anyway, so it’s not like anything has changed significantly.

The bottom line is Fran’s recruiting has pretty much been the same his entire Iowa career. He gets some decent 4-star players with the same skill set here and there then offers too many scholarships to mid-level talent like Riley Mulvey, Maishe Dailey, etc.

On top of numerous recruiting failures, the problem with Iowa basketball is the same problem that’s been since Fran first got here: no point guard, not enough athletes, not enough defense and rebounding, and no real rim protector (with the exception of maybe Woodbury).

I just can’t understand why so many Iowa fans are so reluctant to move on from Fran. The very two most important aspects in basketball you need to win in March (guard play and defense) are the two very things Fran’s teams are always garbage at. That is not changing with the additions of Tajado and Koch, and we’ve already seen what Fran does with the portal.

It’s a broken record. Evolve or get left further behind.

Thank you for clarifying. No, you’re right. I totally agree with you and understand your point entirely. I was just reading so many posts about Oregon having all this NIL money compared to Gonzaga and blah blah blah.

Yes, some teams will be able to bring in more highly regarded talent than Iowa because of NIL money, but let’s not pretend that’s all there is to it. The fact is Iowa wasn’t out recruiting a bunch of teams before NIL, anyway, so it’s not like anything has changed significantly.

The bottom line is Fran’s recruiting has pretty much been the same his entire Iowa career. He gets some decent 4-star players with the same skill set here and there then offers too many scholarships to mid-level talent like Riley Mulvey, Maishe Dailey, etc.

On top of numerous recruiting failures, the problem with Iowa basketball is the same problem that’s been since Fran first got here: no point guard, not enough athletes, not enough defense and rebounding, and no real rim protector (with the exception of maybe Woodbury).

I just can’t understand why so many Iowa fans are so reluctant to move on from Fran. The very two most important aspects in basketball you need to win in March (guard play and defense) are the two very things Fran’s teams are always garbage at. That is not changing with the additions of Tajado and Koch, and we’ve already seen what Fran does with the portal.

It’s a broken record. Evolve or get left further behind.
It is what it is. Fran and Kirk both do pretty well. Nothing great. Just pretty good. No losing seasons. No championships. Pretty good keeps you employed in places like Iowa for as long as you like barring scandals. That's never going to change. 🤷

As a team that emphasizes offensive, here's a question for you, what kind of defensive would you like to see Iowa play that is any different then what they do now. Take in consideration that Iowa normally doesn't get a boat full of 4 and 5 star players.
Also take in consideration how much energy are you expecting the players to exert playing the defense that you wish Iowa would incorporate. The more tired the players get, more fouls are going to happen.
Really, the more defense you put into the game the slower the game becomes, is that what you want Iowa to focus on. Less offense more defense. You can't have both.
Yes, if Iowa concentrated on playing defense, that could produce turnovers that could result in offense, but that's not Fran's system though. Just like to see your take on it.
Remember one of Iowa's greatest teams, the 1970 Hawkeye's averaged almost 99 points a game and went undefeated in the Big Ten while giving up a staggering 87 points a game. does that sound or look familiar?

I don't expect Fran to build a roster that looks like ISU and defends like that.

I do think the smarter coaches require that all their guys have a minimum athleticism to go along with offensive talent. I also thnk the smarter coaches don't p;ay uptempo with below Par athletets. I was impressed with Northwestern this year....lot of smarter/skilled players and they're all at least OKAY athletes. They got hurt by injuries, could have done better. I can see making an exception for a sub par athlete like Payton because he is an elite shooter and he also rebounds well. I can't see why guys like Krikkee or PMAC play much as they do. Also, you gotta have a good PG and can't play 4 below the rim guys.

Whether Harding becomes elite at PG...that will be interesting to watch. He clearly is an elite passer and puts out the effort on defense. He needs to be a knockdown shooter though. Fran has a solid classe resently but banking schollies is foolish...we need more guards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT