ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon

JerryDennard

HR MVP
Feb 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Everyone's attention is on Bol Bol, the 7'2" freshman with handles, a sick fadeaway jump shot, blocks everything and can step out and hit the 3 like his dad. But Oregon's best players are 6'2" junior point guard Payton Pritchard and 6'8" forward Paul White.

Bol only had 12 pts and 12 rbs (and 4 personal fouls, likely why he only played 23 min) against Portland State who has 1 player 6'10" and four other 6'7 - 6'9 guys. (Portland State, who shot 35 (!) three pointers but only made 5 of them at 14.3%, actually outrebounded Oregon 41 to 37 - although Oregon won by 27). Pritchard torched the pressing Portland State defense for 22 points (including 9 FTs) while White added 15.

In his latest game vs. Eastern Washington, Bol Bol had a DAY going for 23 and 12 and multiple blocks. BUT Eastern Washington plays a 4 guard lineup with a 6'7" forward as their "center" (and they played only one other player over 6'7" the entire game, 6'9" freshman Tanner Groves, for 14 minutes). Eastern Washington shot 45 three pointers (hitting only 13). Despite having a clear size advantage, and despite only shooting 7 three pointers against Portland St., againts Eastern Washington Oregon shot 25 threes and hit 10 (for a 40% clip). Pritchard had 10 pts 8 assists and White had 11 points and 6 rbs (incl. 3-5 from three point range).

What does this mean?

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Oregon can put together huge scoring runs where multiple players contribute and they can shoot lights out from distance. That said, Pritchard isn't one of those lightning quick guards that is going to athletically overwhelm JBo or Connor - he's a white, local Oregon kid who shot 45% from 3 and he loves to throw alley-oops, more of an Aaron Craft with a jump shot. That said, the backcourt had some turnover problems early against Portland State.

Bol Bol hasn't been challenged physically in college yet. He got in early foul trouble against Portland State, who, while not terrible like Eastern Washington (who, in fairness, had 4 players out), did not the horses inside. (Portland State's tallest player, 6'10" Rumel, is a 240 lb sophomore - not a banger like Garza or Kriener).

Like Iowa, Oregon hasn't really played anyone. I would argue Oregon has been challenged even less than Iowa. Yes, Connecticut blew out UMKC, a team Iowa struggled with, but UMKC still scored 66 points on Connecticut (vs 63 points vs Iowa). We just couldn't score for some reason - if our 3 point shooting returns to even 35% vs the 28% we've shown so far - I think we've got a puncher's chance of pulling an upset and possibly even winning comfortably.

Of course, we are going to get slaughtered vs Cuse or Connecticut. But I think Oregon is a gettable game.

Good review.

Garza vs Bol should be fun to watch.

For some reason I feel like this team will play better against better competition.
I agree and also think there’s a good chance that Garza/Kriener get Bol into foul trouble.

Starting Line-Ups:

Oregon:
F-Louis King 6'9" 205lbs. Fr 2
F-Paul White 6'9" 230lbs. Sr 13
C-Bol Bol 7'2" 235lbs. Fr 1
G-Ehab Amin 6'4" 200lbs. Sr 4
G-Payton Pritchard 6'2" 195 Jr 3

Iowa:
F-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" 205lbs. Fr 10
F-Tyler Cook 6'9" 250lbs. Jr 25
C-Luka Garza 6'11" 245lbs. So 55
G-Isaiah Moss 6'5" 205lbs. Jr 4
G-Jordan Bohannon 6'1" 185lbs. Jr 3

Reactions: Bain Lipski
Going to be a long week of speculation.
I agree the hawks will play up to their competition. Garza and Kreiner are not going to back down, at all. Just want Cook to be aggressive but smart and not get any offensive fouls.

Reactions: wrigleyvillehawk
I wonder if we’ll put Cook on Bol since he can match up better athletically than Garza

Reactions: HKI
Starting Line-Ups:

Oregon:
F-Louis King 6'9" 205lbs. Fr 2
F-Paul White 6'9" 230lbs. Sr 13
C-Bol Bol 7'2" 235lbs. Fr 1
G-Ehab Amin 6'4" 200lbs. Sr 4
G-Payton Pritchard 6'2" 195 Jr 3

Iowa:
F-Joe Wieskamp 6'6" 205lbs. Fr 10
F-Tyler Cook 6'9" 250lbs. Jr 25
C-Luka Garza 6'11" 245lbs. So 55
G-Isaiah Moss 6'5" 205lbs. Jr 4
G-Jordan Bohannon 6'1" 185lbs. Jr 3

5* freshman forward Louis King is apparently injured and either out or we will be his first game. 5* pg Will Richardson is also returning from injury but has played spot minutes.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Everyone's attention is on Bol Bol, the 7'2" freshman with handles, a sick fadeaway jump shot, blocks everything and can step out and hit the 3 like his dad. But Oregon's best players are 6'2" junior point guard Payton Pritchard and 6'8" forward Paul White.

Bol only had 12 pts and 12 rbs (and 4 personal fouls, likely why he only played 23 min) against Portland State who has 1 player 6'10" and four other 6'7 - 6'9 guys. (Portland State, who shot 35 (!) three pointers but only made 5 of them at 14.3%, actually outrebounded Oregon 41 to 37 - although Oregon won by 27). Pritchard torched the pressing Portland State defense for 22 points (including 9 FTs) while White added 15.

In his latest game vs. Eastern Washington, Bol Bol had a DAY going for 23 and 12 and multiple blocks. BUT Eastern Washington plays a 4 guard lineup with a 6'7" forward as their "center" (and they played only one other player over 6'7" the entire game, 6'9" freshman Tanner Groves, for 14 minutes). Eastern Washington shot 45 three pointers (hitting only 13). Despite having a clear size advantage, and despite only shooting 7 three pointers against Portland St., againts Eastern Washington Oregon shot 25 threes and hit 10 (for a 40% clip). Pritchard had 10 pts 8 assists and White had 11 points and 6 rbs (incl. 3-5 from three point range).

What does this mean?

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Oregon can put together huge scoring runs where multiple players contribute and they can shoot lights out from distance. That said, Pritchard isn't one of those lightning quick guards that is going to athletically overwhelm JBo or Connor - he's a white, local Oregon kid who shot 45% from 3 and he loves to throw alley-oops, more of an Aaron Craft with a jump shot. That said, the backcourt had some turnover problems early against Portland State.

Bol Bol hasn't been challenged physically in college yet. He got in early foul trouble against Portland State, who, while not terrible like Eastern Washington (who, in fairness, had 4 players out), did not the horses inside. (Portland State's tallest player, 6'10" Rumel, is a 240 lb sophomore - not a banger like Garza or Kriener).

Like Iowa, Oregon hasn't really played anyone. I would argue Oregon has been challenged even less than Iowa. Yes, Connecticut blew out UMKC, a team Iowa struggled with, but UMKC still scored 66 points on Connecticut (vs 63 points vs Iowa). We just couldn't score for some reason - if our 3 point shooting returns to even 35% vs the 28% we've shown so far - I think we've got a puncher's chance of pulling an upset and possibly even winning comfortably.

Of course, we are going to get slaughtered vs Cuse or Connecticut. But I think Oregon is a gettable game.

Until I actually see Iowa play well against a competent team, I can't call a game against the #18 team in Pomeroy rankings a gettable game. I see where you are coming from in the analysis though. Many of the same issues that surfaced last year are evident again this year. I guess we start finding out on Thursday.

Reactions: RocknRollface
How the game is called at MSG will make a difference.

If we can be physical, it should help us against the younger Oregon bigs.

If we play soft & try to run with them, it could be bad.

Reactions: Buffalo43
Until I actually see Iowa play well against a competent team, I can't call a game against the #18 team in Pomeroy rankings a gettable game. I see where you are coming from in the analysis though. Many of the same issues that surfaced last year are evident again this year. I guess we start finding out on Thursday.

It won't be an easy game Oregon is the preseason pick to win the Pac 12.. That said, I think that prediction is based on the quality of the 2018 recruiting class - ranked #3 in the nation. Out of that class, Oregon has 1 guy redshirting (6'10" 5* Miles Norris), one injured (Louis King), and one just coming off of injury and playing limited minutes (5* SG Will Richardson). And of course Bol squared

When those pieces are back and in game shape for conference play, Oregon is going to be deadly. Right now, we're getting them somewhat hobbled and early in their chemistry and development.

It will be an interesting game especially if Iowa can get hot from 3 and/or cut down its turnovers.

Yeah, pomeroy has us as a whopping 4 point dog

Reactions: HKI
As is the case in every game Iowa enters, if the other team has athletic ball handlers...I worry. If they don't, I like Iowa's chances.

Not a fan of this match up.

Related question...when Iowa went and played Oregon in the NIT a few years back. Was the score 105-95 or was it 95-85? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm not kidding....I see this game being a final closer to 110-85 than 80-70.

Who wants to wager on whether Dodger has seen a single Oregon game?

Reactions: unIowa
As is the case in every game Iowa enters, if the other team has athletic ball handlers...I worry. If they don't, I like Iowa's chances.

Not a fan of this match up.

Related question...when Iowa went and played Oregon in the NIT a few years back. Was the score 105-95 or was it 95-85? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm not kidding....I see this game being a final closer to 110-85 than 80-70.

108-97 in an absolute no defense track meet.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
Certainly a win against Oregon would carry a lot of weight with the computers later on in the season.

Reactions: TCOOL
Until I actually see Iowa play well against a competent team, I can't call a game against the #18 team in Pomeroy rankings a gettable game...I guess we start finding out on Thursday.

Yeah, pomeroy has us as a whopping 4 point dog

And has Iowa ranked at #38. I've been underwhelmed by how the Hawks played the first two games, but the potential for a good team is there. We'll see.

We'll be lucky to win a half in MSG. Hopefully Im wrong and they look like the team that almost beat Michigan to end the year.

Haha I can’t *wait* for Legend12 to be no more!

You all can thank me later.

Iowa has only gone OVER the 190 line 3 times in the last 2 years: just once last year, in OT vs Illinois (we won). The year prior, the first time vs Savannah State when we won and scored 116. Then the only loss vs Memphis when Jok scored 42.

It’s such an idiotic bet by Legend - Iowa might get beat and might possibly get beat by a lot - but unless this game goes to multiple OTs or both teams are shooting lights out from 3, the chances of me losing this bet is virtually nil

Haha I can’t *wait* for Legend12 to be no more!

You all can thank me later.

Iowa has only gone OVER the 190 line 3 times in the last 2 years: just once last year, in OT vs Illinois (we won). The year prior, the first time vs Savannah State when we won and scored 116. Then the only loss vs Memphis when Jok scored 42.

It’s such an idiotic bet by Legend - Iowa might get beat and might possibly get beat by a lot - but unless this game goes to multiple OTs or both teams are shooting lights out from 3, the chances of me losing this bet is virtually nil

You put up a total for a game that has already been played.

Let that sink in for a minute while you try and fathom how stupid you are.

You put up a total for a game that has already been played.

Let that sink in for a minute while you try and fathom how stupid you are.

Unreal! You're trying to welch from this bet?

Iowa plays Oregon this Thursday - how is it that this upcoming game has already been played?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT