ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Trader de-committing

Yeah. It sucks. Even worse for Iowa where NIL deals are limited to agricultural products and farm implements. The world-famous Iowa writing program isn't attracting speedy WRs and DTs like is used to.

This guy is definitely with her.

How much has Nebraska spent to upgrade so far with NIL?

Is Iowa ready to be that and pay players to come/pay to fill holes.

I know those are two completely different circumstances but the trend seems to be if your a good player you’re expecting money as part of the recruitment/scholarship before even getting on campus.

The top teams will spend big money/bidding wars On maybes, I’m just not that into it and I’ll end up moving in like I have with the Pro game.

I just do not see Iowa being “big” players in this new reality or where the “big” money is
The current football administration has already said they're not going to jump into the pay for play or pay to commit game. NIL opportunities will be there when you get on campus, but getting $$$ just to commit or sign won't be happening here anytime soon if ever.

The current football administration has already said they're not going to jump into the pay for play or pay to commit game. NIL opportunities will be there when you get on campus, but getting $$$ just to commit or sign won't be happening here anytime soon if ever.
Didn't they also say they won't release details on deals? Seems like a piss poor strategy, but we will see...

NIL is a classic example of how quickly a new system undertaken with good intentions can be corrupted and bastardized. What we’ve got going on now is galaxies away from what NIL was supposed to be. I’d like to see college football go back to what it was. But, I’d also like to see a legitimite NFL farm system put together, that’s supported by the NFL. Just like we have with professional baseball. Then kids coming out of high school will have a choice. Go to school to be a true student athlete. Or, roll the dice in the minor leagues.

I hope the administration/staff rethink this position. If there are no changes to the rules, you will not sign a legit P5 recruit without an NIL offer.

Wonder where he ends up. I tried searching but it doesn't look like he has found a home yet.

I hope the administration/staff rethink this position. If there are no changes to the rules, you will not sign a legit P5 recruit without an NIL offer.

Bullshit. Dozens upon dozens of excellent players under Ferentz came out of high school with little-to-no major interest outside of Iowa. None of them would have had any NIL offers today. Iowa is always going to get lunch pail, development kids. It’s the core of who we are.

No, it'll take four to five years to rethink their position. Remember, there was no athlete social media until a couple of years ago. Admin's stuck in the 20th Century.

Bullshit. Dozens upon dozens of excellent players under Ferentz came out of high school with little-to-no major interest outside of Iowa. None of them would have had any NIL offers today. Iowa is always going to get lunch pail, development kids. It’s the core of who we are.
You're looking backwards, not forward. The world's changing.

Do you really see a day when all P5 recruits are offered NIL deals? 😂
I should clarify.

They'll be a break in P5 ~ those who pay (Top 48 teams? Top 32? Top 64?). The remainder won't.

You tell me: Will the Hawks be in the $$$ Group, or non-$$$ Group?

If the Hawks are in the $$$ Group, they'll pay.

S
NIL deals, and/or salaries? Yes.

Five years ago, you'd have been laughing at what's happening now.

What's the incentive to pay a kid NIL money who has an offer from Iowa and some scattered mid-major schools? We get a lot of kids like that. Who is going to pay for it?? You're insane.

Do you really see a day when all P5 recruits are offered NIL deals? 😂
I do. I would bet that over 50% of 4 and 5 stars kids received NIL deals this year. Unless the rules change that number will only increase in the coming years. A kid that has multiple MAC offers and an offer from Iowa, you may not need a NIL deal, but a kid that has multiple Big 10/12, SEC, and ACC offers you have no chance without a NIL deal in place.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I should clarify.

They'll be a break in P5 ~ those who pay (Top 48 teams? Top 32? Top 64?). The remainder won't.

You tell me: Will the Hawks be in the $$$ Group, or non-$$$ Group?

If the Hawks are in the $$$ Group, they'll pay.

The kids being paid now are the same kids that are going to be paid in the future. And the same kids that have been paid illegally for decades. Kids that are being heavily recruited and fought over. Nobody is competing for a kid like Josey Jewell choosing between Iowa and fecking Luther. And nobody is going to pay a kid like that to come to Iowa or any other P5 school.

S

What's the incentive to pay a kid NIL money who has an offer from Iowa and some scattered mid-major schools? We get a lot of kids like that. Who is going to pay for it?? You're insane.
I said legit P5 recruit. What you described is not what I consider a legit P5 recruit.

And then you said you see a day when ALL P5 recruits receive an NIL deal. That's never going to happen.
Fair enough I needed to be a little clearer. Although I did mention later in the same response that a kid that only has one P5 offer you probably wouldn't need an NIL.

So there is no confusion on my stance, any kid that has multiple P5 offers you will need a NIL deal. A kid that only has an offer from Iowa and 5 MAC schools you are right you may not need a NIL deal.

S

That is the case for some Iowa recruits. Not all, and maybe not the majority? Frankly I don't know.

Here are the 4 visitors taking their OV this weekend (per the story from Blair).
  • Kendrick Raphael, RB, Florida. Offers from NC State, BC, Purdue, Iowa State, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia and others.
  • Nolan Ray, RB, Michigan. Offers from Maryland, Stanford, Pitt, and Iowa. Plus a bunch of MAC and non-P5 schools.
  • Will Heldt, DE, Indiana. Offers from Purdue, Iowa State, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, plus smaller schools.
  • Kade McIntyre, LB, Nebraska. Offers from Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tennessee, Minnesota and smaller schools.
Each player is going to be different, but if Iowa does not have a notable NIL presence they aren't going to get hardly any out of state kids that have options from schools with NIL. I agree that Iowa probably shouldn't ever get to the point of "you are guaranteed X amount if you come here," that is supposed to be against the rules. But being able to be connected to the NIL program easily and talk to other players about what they have received is a must. Like it or not, that is the way it is going to have to be if Iowa is going to be relevant. Yes, the walk-ons and lightly recruited guys are great stories. But you aren't going to win solely with under-recruited guys and walk ons. Not going to happen.

The kids being paid now are the same kids that are going to be paid in the future. And the same kids that have been paid illegally for decades. Kids that are being heavily recruited and fought over. Nobody is competing for a kid like Josey Jewell choosing between Iowa and fecking Luther. And nobody is going to pay a kid like that to come to Iowa or any other P5 school.
Given this scenario, Iowa will be relegated to non-$$$ Group, Tier 2 status.

$$$ Group colleges will pay all of the players, just like the NFL.

Free agency for signed recruits not yet on campus? Such a bummer for college athletics.
Good bye to any chance at parity in D1 football.

Just break it up now, make your NIL blueblood semi-pro league and then a true D1 student-athlete league. D1 cannot transfer to NIL nor can NIL transfer to D1. Make D1 a championship like D1AA and let NIL teams just round robin themselves to death.

NIL is essentially creating a whole new Power conference aside from the P5. Let them go and be as corrupt as they want.

That is the case for some Iowa recruits. Not all, and maybe not the majority? Frankly I don't know.

Here are the 4 visitors taking their OV this weekend (per the story from Blair).
  • Kendrick Raphael, RB, Florida. Offers from NC State, BC, Purdue, Iowa State, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia and others.
  • Nolan Ray, RB, Michigan. Offers from Maryland, Stanford, Pitt, and Iowa. Plus a bunch of MAC and non-P5 schools.
  • Will Heldt, DE, Indiana. Offers from Purdue, Iowa State, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, plus smaller schools.
  • Kade McIntyre, LB, Nebraska. Offers from Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tennessee, Minnesota and smaller schools.
Each player is going to be different, but if Iowa does not have a notable NIL presence they aren't going to get hardly any out of state kids that have options from schools with NIL. I agree that Iowa probably shouldn't ever get to the point of "you are guaranteed X amount if you come here," that is supposed to be against the rules. But being able to be connected to the NIL program easily and talk to other players about what they have received is a must. Like it or not, that is the way it is going to have to be if Iowa is going to be relevant. Yes, the walk-ons and lightly recruited guys are great stories. But you aren't going to win solely with under-recruited guys and walk ons. Not going to happen.
How is it against the rules? Texas guarantees its OL like 50k.

Texas Football is getting a boost from sponsors next season thanks to the Name, Image and Likeness program set by the NCAA.

Horns with Heart, a nonprofit charity organization based in Austin, will provide every Texas offensive linemen on scholarship with $50,000 annually as part of a new NIL program. This is the latest in a series of launches by Longhorns boosters and supporters in hopes of helping with recruiting and bringing more names towards the program.

Reactions: bumpstock
Good bye to any chance at parity in D1 football.

Just break it up now, make your NIL blueblood semi-pro league and then a true D1 student-athlete league. D1 cannot transfer to NIL nor can NIL transfer to D1. Make D1 a championship like D1AA and let NIL teams just round robin themselves to death.

NIL is essentially creating a whole new Power conference aside from the P5. Let them go and be as corrupt as they want.
You don't need to do it; it's already being done.

Hawks just need to decide which lifeboat they're going into: Big $$$, or no Big $$$?

After that, live with the decision.

Reactions: obfuscating
How is it against the rules? Texas guarantees its OL like 50k.

Texas Football is getting a boost from sponsors next season thanks to the Name, Image and Likeness program set by the NCAA.

Horns with Heart, a nonprofit charity organization based in Austin, will provide every Texas offensive linemen on scholarship with $50,000 annually as part of a new NIL program. This is the latest in a series of launches by Longhorns boosters and supporters in hopes of helping with recruiting and bringing more names towards the program.
I'd like to know how much bs paperwork they've filed to maintain the "nonprofit/charity" tag. Although Texas has had the pick of their own litter for two decades and have stunk for the better part of that time frame too.

I'd like to know how much bs paperwork they've filed to maintain the "nonprofit/charity" tag. Although Texas has had the pick of their own litter for two decades and have stunk for the better part of that time frame too.

It's been nice watching Jimbo and A&M clean house in the NIL world, despite the shadiness of it. Simply because it shits on Texas right in their own back yard. Seriously, the hell with the Texas Longhorns. Legends in their own minds only.

Sounds about right. And we'll still win roughly as much as we do right now.
I agree; not joining the Big $$$Group is fine. However, if the Hawks are joining the Big$$$ Group, get off the sofa, and do it right. If not, let everyone know you're not a Big$$$ school!

Are the Hawks all in, or all out?

Or, alternatively, is there going to be a Big $$$ Group; a Little $$$Group; and a non-$$$ Group?

If this is the case, are the Hawks in the Little $$$Group? Then be the best NIL school in the Little $$$Group.

Apparently, Iowa is going to be a NIL (Collective) school next month, right?

Big $$$Group: $5-15+ million per year NIL (Collective) budget.
Little $$$Group: $250,000-$4.9 million per year NIL (Collective) budget.
Non-$$$Group: < $250,000 per year NIL (Collective) budget.

Last edited:
Hog wash. What exactly do you consider a "legit p5 recruit". Do you really think EVERY 3 star and even most 4 stars are going to get NIL deals BEFORE they ever get to college. Thats not going to happen. We've seen a few 5 star and maybe a few 4 stars get enticements, "supposedly". These are kids that Iowa is almost never bringing in anyway unless their Iowa kids or have ties to the program. These schools are not going to be able to keep throwing $$ at kids before they have ever done anything. MAYBE this costs us Proctor. MAYBE, but we have no way of knowing if he was going to go to Iowa before all this anyway. We've been dancing with him for two years now, and he hasn't chosen a school yet, so who knows. Maybe we should wait and see just what adjustments are made to the current wild west scenario, and just what unfolds during an ACTUAL season or two of football on the field before we declare the sky is in fact falling. I have a feeling were going to see the same half dozen school at the top that are there pretty much every year.

I hope the Hawks are in the non-$$ group.
And that more than likely will happen if there’s a break-off. I just don’t see any scenario where Iowa gets included in a “big kids table” package. The core of this will be based in the Southeast where small time boosters and moderately successful programs generate little more than a yawn.

Didn't they also say they won't release details on deals? Seems like a piss poor strategy, but we will see...
They said the staff doesn't disclose that information to the recruits. But, then said when the recruit and his family meet with the Players Panel, that's where they find out who's making what, where, and how.
This. The NIL question was asked to the player panel when we attended a junior day this year.

And that more than likely will happen if there’s a break-off. I just don’t see any scenario where Iowa gets included in a “big kids table” package. The core of this will be based in the Southeast where small time boosters and moderately successful programs generate little more than a yawn.
It depends on the size of the"big league". Iowa is a to 25 program by most measures: revenue, wins, etc.

What will keep us out is that we don't have the win at all costs mentality that do many of the schools that are abusing NIL have.

NIL is not supposed to be pay for play. Those using it that way may have to cease and desist or face penalties. If they don't have penalties, those are the teams that will have to separate themselves into a semi pro league.

Remember though, it's not just the athletic department making these decisions. The schools and their presidents have final say. While football has clout at Iowa, they don't run the school like they do at some institutions.

It depends on the size of the"big league". Iowa is a to 25 program by most measures: revenue, wins, etc.

What will keep us out is that we don't have the win at all costs mentality that do many of the schools that are abusing NIL have.

NIL is not supposed to be pay for play. Those using it that way may have to cease and desist or face penalties. If they don't have penalties, those are the teams that will have to separate themselves into a semi pro league.

Remember though, it's not just the athletic department making these decisions. The schools and their presidents have final say. While football has clout at Iowa, they don't run the school like they do at some institutions.

Who is going to impose those penalties?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT