ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Campbell accepts 1 year contract extension.... To stay marketable with a decent buyout?

Jun 7, 2009
Iowa
I know... the free rent Iowa State and Matt Campbell get inside every Hawkeye fans' minds for minor events. Still, this bit of news does have some impact on Iowa. The contract extension means Matt Campbell is not out of reach of a bigger name program from buying out his services with a huge commitment. Campbell is telling his recruits " I am here at ISUcc for the long run" but as Chris Rock would say about a guy in the friendzone " But Cha never know"!

Personally, I believe David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler will turn pro and ISU is going to have their more common years. They d have a very good young QB.

I know... the free rent Iowa State and Matt Campbell get inside every Hawkeye fans' minds for minor events. Still, this bit of news does have some impact on Iowa. The contract extension means Matt Campbell is not out of reach of a bigger name program from buying out his services with a huge commitment. Campbell is telling his recruits " I am here at ISUcc for the long run" but as Chris Rock would say about a guy in the friendzone " But Cha never know"!

Personally, I believe David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler will turn pro and ISU is going to have their more common years. They d have a very good young QB.

Why does this matter? Really don't understand why Hawk fans would care a great deal about this. Supposedly Iowa State was a great team this year and the went 8-4 and nearly lost to Drake. Campbell is a good coach, we haven't seen enough of him to have any idea if he can sustain. If he decides to stay in Ames, good for him. If he moves on, okay.

8-4 Overall Record 6-3 in worst conference in football ...

Loss against Iowa and near loss against Drake.

The only reason it can be considered a good season is they beat W.Virginia
at home .

Campbell. Go ahead and leave or stay really doesn't matter to me . Your a very average coach who quite frankly hasn't done anything special

8-4 Overall Record 6-3 in worst conference in football ...

Loss against Iowa and near loss against Drake.

The only reason it can be considered a good season is they beat W.Virginia
at home .

Campbell. Go ahead and leave or stay really doesn't matter to me . Your a very average coach who quite frankly hasn't done anything special
Iowa went 8-4 with a 5-4 conference record with a loss to Purdue and near loss to Nebraska.

Yeah.....I am not so sure of that. I think they will continue to be more competitive. They have a young QB, took in some impressive looking WRs, and the last few RB commis were all impressive guys Iowa identified and offered. Their recruiting is on an uptick and has a chance to get better.

On the other hand.... I also think he will be looked at for some of the ooenings this year and next and, if he keeps them looking good, oportunities will come. Danny Mac turnwd those down thinking he could make ISU a better program and couldn`t sustain it. Will Campbell have the same fate, change the course, or make a move?

Yeah.....I am not so sure of that. I think they will continue to be more competitive. They have a young QB, took in some impressive looking WRs, and the last few RB commis were all impressive guys Iowa identified and offered. Their recruiting is on an uptick and has a chance to get better.

On the other hand.... I also think he will be looked at for some of the ooenings this year and next and, if he keeps them looking good, oportunities will come. Danny Mac turnwd those down thinking he could make ISU a better program and couldn`t sustain it. Will Campbell have the same fate, change the course, or make a move?
As an ISU fan, I really cant argue with any of that. Not dissing Mac, but this program under Campbell feels a lot more focused and together. I like what he’s building and hoping obviously for some sustainability.

Yeah 0-3 vs Iowa is not good but he’s hey he’s still the messiah in lames.
One game does not a season make. I’m happy to sacrifice the non con to Iowa if he can put together back-to-back bowls and five-plus weeks in the top 25. It’s baby steps, brother. We’re you/there yet. But I’ll take the progress.

Just silly that people are trying to tear down ISU because they're making positive strides as a program. They have a lot to optimistic about.

They do, and probably a great place where they can talk about it, pat each other on the back and celebrate their ascension. My guess is that place probably doesn't have 'Hawkeye' in the title of it.

Reactions: HKI
Just silly that people are trying to tear down ISU because they're making positive strides as a program. They have a lot to optimistic about.
They're making strides towards mediocrity, which is still a step up for them. They have one win of note this year, an overrated WVU team with no defense. The next best thing they can hang their hat on is giving OU a game, yet we've got dunces like stem over here trying to assert their dominance in the state.

They got completely shut down by any defense with a pulse (see Iowa, Texas, TCU), and were in tight games with bad KSU, OSU, Baylor, and Akron teams, along with an abysmal looking win over a nonscholarship Drake squad.

Excuse me if I'm not shaking in my boots just yet.

What's really funny here is the posters who keep stressing the 0-3 record against Iowa. Tell me again which fan base considers that game the Super Bowl.

Dude, you must have a short memory--there were plenty of ISU folks who would gleefully point out Kirk's near .500 record against them for quite some time. There's lunacy on both sides.

Dude, you must have a short memory--there were plenty of ISU folks who would gleefully point out Kirk's near .500 record against them for quite some time. There's lunacy on both sides.
Of course. I'm one of them (although I don't specifically remember ever doing it). The point is that the record against Iowa is just about the only negative thing about Campbell's tenure so far.

I doubt very, very much if there's a single ISU fan who would trade the win over Kansas State for the loss at Iowa. Likewise, if you told me we could have one more win, it would be Texas, not Iowa.

Don't forget that Mac broke a 15-year streak of losses to Iowa, won five in a row and ended up around .500, and got fired. Donnie Duncan went 3-1 against Iowa and left Dodge as the posse was forming. The idea that the Iowa game is a key factor in deciding whether to keep a coach is inconsistent with reality.

Speaking only for myself, if you told me that ISU could only win a single game next year and I could pick it, I'd pick Iowa. (Prior to this year I would have picked K-State, but usually, given that choice, I'd pick Iowa.) And I suspect if you put the same question to an honest Iowa fan -- that the team could only win one game, and it was his choice -- he would pick ISU. It just makes sense because a fan takes less shit that way.

Big Ten west is the worst conference in football.

Wake me up when a team from the west gets into the CFP much less actually wins a game in it.

Big Ten West is like some guy beating his chest and fist pumping because his neighbor just bought a Porsche.

Last edited:
Of course. I'm one of them (although I don't specifically remember ever doing it). The point is that the record against Iowa is just about the only negative thing about Campbell's tenure so far.

I doubt very, very much if there's a single ISU fan who would trade the win over Kansas State for the loss at Iowa. Likewise, if you told me we could have one more win, it would be Texas, not Iowa.

Don't forget that Mac broke a 15-year streak of losses to Iowa, won five in a row and ended up around .500, and got fired. Donnie Duncan went 3-1 against Iowa and left Dodge as the posse was forming. The idea that the Iowa game is a key factor in deciding whether to keep a coach is inconsistent with reality.

Speaking only for myself, if you told me that ISU could only win a single game next year and I could pick it, I'd pick Iowa. (Prior to this year I would have picked K-State, but usually, given that choice, I'd pick Iowa.) And I suspect if you put the same question to an honest Iowa fan -- that the team could only win one game, and it was his choice -- he would pick ISU. It just makes sense because a fan takes less shit that way.

Speaking for myself, I'd take Wisky or Minny in a heartbeat--probably Minny in a slight lead simply because losing to Bucky stings, but is less damaging publicly. But that's just me.

What's really funny here is the posters who keep stressing the 0-3 record against Iowa. Tell me again which fan base considers that game the Super Bowl.

Both.

Iowa State due to playing second fiddle for decades.

Iowa due to Iowa State actually making the series competitive over the last twenty years.

Big 12 is the worst conference in football.

Wake me up when a team from the Big 12 other than Oklahoma gets into the CFP much less any team including Oklahoma actually wins a game in it.

Big 12 is like some guy beating his chest and fist pumping because his neighbor just bought a Porsche.

Fixed it for you. Apparently you are either really young or a bit old and may be losing your memory and don’t remember the Big 12 North - worst conference division ever in the history of all sports. Ask Big Red fans how easy the Big 10 is - it’s been a shock to have more than one tough game a year. Good thing is they already have their championship gear printed - they just have to continue crossing out every year since 2011.

Let’s watch the bowl results and see how all the conferences perform on the field. Big 10 typically plays up in bowl matchups as they are the most desired conference for various reasons but it’s a measuring stick and if I recall they performed decent last year.

Bowl results? Which Big 10 West team is in CFP?

Big Ten West gravy trains the east. The west is crap. They have won 1 conference title.

You beat your chest based on the performance of teams on the other side of the conference. BFD.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
They're making strides towards mediocrity, which is still a step up for them. They have one win of note this year, an overrated WVU team with no defense. The next best thing they can hang their hat on is giving OU a game, yet we've got dunces like stem over here trying to assert their dominance in the state.

They got completely shut down by any defense with a pulse (see Iowa, Texas, TCU), and were in tight games with bad KSU, OSU, Baylor, and Akron teams, along with an abysmal looking win over a nonscholarship Drake squad.

Excuse me if I'm not shaking in my boots just yet.
Cool. IDC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT