ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Campbell accepts 1 year contract extension.... To stay marketable with a decent buyout?

Of course. I'm one of them (although I don't specifically remember ever doing it). The point is that the record against Iowa is just about the only negative thing about Campbell's tenure so far.

I doubt very, very much if there's a single ISU fan who would trade the win over Kansas State for the loss at Iowa. Likewise, if you told me we could have one more win, it would be Texas, not Iowa.

Don't forget that Mac broke a 15-year streak of losses to Iowa, won five in a row and ended up around .500, and got fired. Donnie Duncan went 3-1 against Iowa and left Dodge as the posse was forming. The idea that the Iowa game is a key factor in deciding whether to keep a coach is inconsistent with reality.

Speaking only for myself, if you told me that ISU could only win a single game next year and I could pick it, I'd pick Iowa. (Prior to this year I would have picked K-State, but usually, given that choice, I'd pick Iowa.) And I suspect if you put the same question to an honest Iowa fan -- that the team could only win one game, and it was his choice -- he would pick ISU. It just makes sense because a fan takes less shit that way.

I'm guessing there's quite a few Iowa State fans who would have preferred to beat Iowa this year over K-State. Losing four in a row to your rival isn't very palatable to most fans.

When Donnie Duncan was at Iowa State, as you pointed out yourself, Iowa State hadn't lost fifteen in a row. That generated quite a bit of animosity, which is evidenced today by the beating Iowa question that is about the first one asked of every new coaching hire at Iowa State. While it's indeed laughable to suggest the Iowa game decides coaching hirings or firings, as evidenced by Mac getting let go after going 6-3 against Iowa his final nine years, Donnie Duncan coached in a much different era and a 3-1 record against Iowa now would afford him a lot more lattitude today than back then.

I want to beat Wisconsin. Iowa State wins a couple in a row then we'll talk.

Exactly, bleeder. Nationally. And regionally too, for that matter. Back-to-back 8-plus win seasons. Ranked top 25 for more than half the season. That kind of consistency builds relevancy. Stoked he got extended and excited about our future.

Lol.

Building towards relevancy I'll buy, maybe. Excited about the future, I get it.

Nationally relevant now? Lol. You're smoking rocks.

Why does this matter? Really don't understand why Hawk fans would care a great deal about this. Supposedly Iowa State was a great team this year and the went 8-4 and nearly lost to Drake. Campbell is a good coach, we haven't seen enough of him to have any idea if he can sustain. If he decides to stay in Ames, good for him. If he moves on, okay.
Yeah why does an in-state rival program matter.......

Bowl results? Which Big 10 West team is in CFP?

Big Ten West gravy trains the east. The west is crap. They have won 1 conference title.

You beat your chest based on the performance of teams on the other side of the conference. BFD.
Who’s beating their chest? Kind of sounds like you are tying clones in with Oklahoma football success. No question the East is better than west regarding top teams and big 10. It’s also fair to say the Big 10 east by itself is better than Big 12 overall. Didn’t top 5 big 12 teams go 0-3 vs Big 10? Hell the 10th or 11th best team in the big 10 beat the big 12 runner up and the Big 12 third place team lost to a big 10 west team who finished around 8th overall in Big 10 standings.

Do you brag about KU ibasketball also? Historically bowl season and March madness exploit the big 12s “strength”.

8-4 Overall Record 6-3 in worst conference in football ...

Loss against Iowa and near loss against Drake.

The only reason it can be considered a good season is they beat W.Virginia
at home .

Campbell. Go ahead and leave or stay really doesn't matter to me . Your a very average coach who quite frankly hasn't done anything special
8-4 Overall Record 5-4 in the worst division of a conference that didn’t make the CFP.

Loss against Purdue and near loss against Nebraska.

The only reason it can be considered a good season is they beat a ranked Iowa State
at home .

Ferentz. Go ahead and leave or stay really doesn't matter to me . Your a very average coach who quite frankly hasn't done anything special.

Changed your message a little. Not an Iowa State fan, but funny how we perceive our program in our “bubble”.

I'm guessing there's quite a few Iowa State fans who would have preferred to beat Iowa this year over K-State. Losing four in a row to your rival isn't very palatable to most fans.

When Donnie Duncan was at Iowa State, as you pointed out yourself, Iowa State hadn't lost fifteen in a row. That generated quite a bit of animosity, which is evidenced today by the beating Iowa question that is about the first one asked of every new coaching hire at Iowa State. While it's indeed laughable to suggest the Iowa game decides coaching hirings or firings, as evidenced by Mac getting let go after going 6-3 against Iowa his final nine years, Donnie Duncan coached in a much different era and a 3-1 record against Iowa now would afford him a lot more lattitude today than back then.

I want to beat Wisconsin. Iowa State wins a couple in a row then we'll talk.
I shouldn't have spoken for anybody else, but while we had lost three straight to Iowa coming into this year, we had lost TEN straight to Kansas State, all but one of them by a single score and several on the last possession, even the last play, of the game. Moreover, losing to KSU this year would have had more serious bowl implications than losing to Iowa did.

I don't know who asks about Iowa first when talking to a new coach.

Here's the thing - if Iowa is stuck only playing ISU as a non-con P5 opponent, we might as well hope they're competitive within the B12 and beyond. I mean, if Iowa State could be a perennial 8-4 type team, then it is always a good win and never a bad loss.

In other words, it is no longer a "lose lose" situation to play them. That's what we wanted for years. Now that it is here, we don't want it anymore? Or we don't believe the future losses to ISU will be viewed as good losses?

Fixed it for you. Apparently you are either really young or a bit old and may be losing your memory and don’t remember the Big 12 North - worst conference division ever in the history of all sports. Ask Big Red fans how easy the Big 10 is - it’s been a shock to have more than one tough game a year. Good thing is they already have their championship gear printed - they just have to continue crossing out every year since 2011.

Let’s watch the bowl results and see how all the conferences perform on the field. Big 10 typically plays up in bowl matchups as they are the most desired conference for various reasons but it’s a measuring stick and if I recall they performed decent last year.
I believe Big Red won 9+ game s their first four years in the Big 10 and believe they were in the conference championship their second year in the conference. They really didn’t start sucking until their fifth year in the conference, so the adaptation to the Big 10 was awfully delayed.

0-3 vs Iowa

clm1kc8cgsd1f0thc9j2aeiyf.gif

Exactly, bleeder. Nationally. And regionally too, for that matter. Back-to-back 8-plus win seasons. Ranked top 25 for more than half the season. That kind of consistency builds relevancy. Stoked he got extended and excited about our future.

So I love how clone fans claim Iowa is not nationally relevant and yet all your claims you just listed for Iowa state in gaining relevancy you can apply all that and some to Iowa.

Funny how clone fans just like yourself use to love throwing out there KF subpar record vs isu. Just pointing out how your awesome coach has a losing record to Iowa. I know deep down this just has to kill clone fans such as yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
What's really funny here is the posters who keep stressing the 0-3 record against Iowa. Tell me again which fan base considers that game the Super Bowl.

hell yah super bowl. we want to kick ass. Then it is the gift that keeps on giving throughout the year until next year's super bowl. football, basketball, wrestling, on and on.

I shouldn't have spoken for anybody else, but while we had lost three straight to Iowa coming into this year, we had lost TEN straight to Kansas State, all but one of them by a single score and several on the last possession, even the last play, of the game. Moreover, losing to KSU this year would have had more serious bowl implications than losing to Iowa did.

I don't know who asks about Iowa first when talking to a new coach.

Wow, I honestly had no idea Kansas State had won that many in a row. That's a horse of a different color.

Wow, I honestly had no idea Kansas State had won that many in a row. That's a horse of a different color.
That horse is dead, finally. We beat them in pretty much the same way they've been beating us......trailed by double figures in the fourth quarter, came back to win on a series of unlikely events.

If we could only split with Texas and KSU, I would have preferred to beat Texas, obviously, because if we'd beat Texas, we could have lost to KSU and still played in the CCG. But in terms of satisfaction and removing a monkey from the back, it wasn't even close. And it meant some seniors had beaten every team in the league.

Big Ten west is the worst conference in football.

Wake me up when a team from the west gets into the CFP much less actually wins a game in it.

Big Ten West is like some guy beating his chest and fist pumping because his neighbor just bought a Porsche.
Pac 12 south is pretty bad too

This is pretty much played out, but a couple of quick thoughts.

1. This extension is less about Campbell and more about his staff. He got another 1 million to distribute amongst the staff.

2. Shouldn't this put a bit of the "super bowl" thing to bed? We have a coach at ISU that is absolutely revered and who fans couldn't be happier with who has yet to beat Iowa. Honestly that probably would have been basically inconceivable for a lot of people.

This is pretty much played out, but a couple of quick thoughts.

1. This extension is less about Campbell and more about his staff. He got another 1 million to distribute amongst the staff.

2. Shouldn't this put a bit of the "super bowl" thing to bed? We have a coach at ISU that is absolutely revered and who fans couldn't be happier with who has yet to beat Iowa. Honestly that probably would have been basically inconceivable for a lot of people.
NOTHING will put that to bed.

Of course. I'm one of them (although I don't specifically remember ever doing it). The point is that the record against Iowa is just about the only negative thing about Campbell's tenure so far.

I doubt very, very much if there's a single ISU fan who would trade the win over Kansas State for the loss at Iowa. Likewise, if you told me we could have one more win, it would be Texas, not Iowa.

Don't forget that Mac broke a 15-year streak of losses to Iowa, won five in a row and ended up around .500, and got fired. Donnie Duncan went 3-1 against Iowa and left Dodge as the posse was forming. The idea that the Iowa game is a key factor in deciding whether to keep a coach is inconsistent with reality.

Speaking only for myself, if you told me that ISU could only win a single game next year and I could pick it, I'd pick Iowa. (Prior to this year I would have picked K-State, but usually, given that choice, I'd pick Iowa.) And I suspect if you put the same question to an honest Iowa fan -- that the team could only win one game, and it was his choice -- he would pick ISU. It just makes sense because a fan takes less shit that way.

Who has ever floated that idea? I mean besides you, just now.

and needed a holding call to keep a non-scholarship team from completely embarrassing them.

Yikes

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
A game like Drake can happen. I remember sitting thru the 5 year Iowa st win streak. This series, if MC stays, will be back to a pickem. He is a good young coach with a lot of upside. I hope he stays in Ames.

Campbell seems like a good coach. But I can't help think that ISU's slow rise the last two years, has also coincided with some usually good Big 12 teams pretty bad seasons. Baylor, Kstate, TCU, and Okie St all were not very good teams this year. Don't really need to bring up how bad Kansas and Tech were once again. I'm not saying this is the only reason for his success, but all of those programs seem on the downswing currently.

NOTHING will put that to bed.

Especially when Campbell has his running countdown clock to the Iowa game. Well that and he won’t even call Iowa by name. But I am sure clown fans will tell us God himself Campbell does this with every school on isu’s schedule.

Do it clown fans we won’t laugh, really we won’t.

It's amazing how ISU fans don't understand the "Super Bowl" analogy. It sure as hell wasn't because ISU was beating Iowa, then turning around going 8-4.
I understand it perfectly. The only way some Hawkeye fans could cope with losing to ISU was to imagine that ISU was putting everything on that game.

Campbell seems like a good coach. But I can't help think that ISU's slow rise the last two years, has also coincided with some usually good Big 12 teams pretty bad seasons. Baylor, Kstate, TCU, and Okie St all were not very good teams this year. Don't really need to bring up how bad Kansas and Tech were once again. I'm not saying this is the only reason for his success, but all of those programs seem on the downswing currently.
Tech was pretty good until losing its quarterback. ISU played Tech before that happened.

You have a point about K-State.

Okie State, TCU and Baylor were not as good as they have been at times in the past, but all three are going to bowls. Texas is considerably better than it's been in recent years, as was West Virginia.

But it was not a banner year, top to bottom, for the Big XII, no question about that.

I understand it perfectly. The only way some Hawkeye fans could cope with losing to ISU was to imagine that ISU was putting everything on that game.
Trolling hard today I see. It was born during the seasons where this games outcome, was the outlier in what both teams did the rest of the season. Like 2002, 2007, and 2014. 2011 the records were close enough to say this wasn't the case, but Iowa did go on to have the better record there again.

Tech was pretty good until losing its quarterback. ISU played Tech before that happened.

You have a point about K-State.

Okie State, TCU and Baylor were not as good as they have been at times in the past, but all three are going to bowls. Texas is considerably better than it's been in recent years, as was West Virginia.

But it was not a banner year, top to bottom, for the Big XII, no question about that.
Texas Tech was 5-2 with wins over Lamar, Houston, TCU, OSU, and Kansas when you played them. I'd say their record was good, but largely due to who they had played up to that point.

Baylor, Okie St, and TCU have been top 20 teams for the most part over the past decade. They are now 6-6, that is a fall, who cares if they go to bowl games.

It is true the big 12 was down from previous years but there have been plenty of years ISU was so bad they couldn't have taken advantage of it. Campbell is a good coach and he came in at the right time too. If he can continue to take advantage of some of the big 12 being down to raise ISU's profile they could continue to rise. Because the more consistent good seasons you have the easier it is to recruit.
I also think it is impressive how they have continued to win despite having to play several guys at QB each season. That usually doesn't happen. It will be interesting to see who leaves from this team, i.e. Montgomery and Butler. Because even if they could get one of those guys to stay it would be huge because they return so many guys on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS

So, do we have to ignore where isu players said it was isu’s Super Bowl? Well I guess we have to ignore how Dan MacCarney treated the game as well correct? Fast forward and of course Campbell refusing to name Iowa or having a countdown clock to the Iowa game must also be ignored.

Amazing how much we have to ignore for the Iowa isn’t isu’s Super Bowl argument from clown fans.

Trolling hard today I see. It was born during the seasons where this games outcome, was the outlier in what both teams did the rest of the season. Like 2002, 2007, and 2014. 2011 the records were close enough to say this wasn't the case, but Iowa did go on to have the better record there again.

Clown fans don’t troll. They are the only fan base on the planet that 100% of their arguments are always correct.

What clown fans will never admit to however is that the only way for anyone to come to those conclusions is to ignore significant portions of what normal functioning humans would call reality. isu fans beam and swell with pride at their delusions or skewed sense of reality and are completely miffed anyone dares to question either.

The only thing more entertaining than their twisted reality and delusions of grandeur is just how willing they are to come here and post them over and over and over and over and over again.

More please.

Yes, ISU played better teams than Iowa did. That was especially glaring in '02.

But if you want to play this game, the more accurate way to judge the question is to look at how the teams did in the immediate aftermath of the game...an overemphasis on the team in Week Two would most likely show itself by poor performance in Week Three and/or Four. A team that goes, for instance, 4-1 in the first half of the season and 2-5 in the second half of the season doesn't indicate a team that overemphasized or played over its head in the second game of the year.

By that standard, over the years since the series was renewed, a better argument could be made that Iowa, not ISU, put too much emphasis on the game.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
It's amazing how ISU fans don't understand the "Super Bowl" analogy. It sure as hell wasn't because ISU was beating Iowa, then turning around going 8-4.

There are plenty of things that ISU fans don’t understand.

There is exactly one time ISU beat a great Iowa team - 2002. Every other time ISU won, it was against either a middling or not so good Iowa team. In 2007 Iowa lost 6 games, including to Western Michigan to end the season. That team really wasn't that good and that loss shouldn't exactly be shocking. 2014, Iowa went 7-6 and got destroyed by Minnesota. Really the only games that super bowl could really apply to are 2002 and 2014... and that's twice in 20 years, and only one of those games was a shocking loss.

There is exactly one time ISU beat a great Iowa team - 2002. Every other time ISU won, it was against either a middling or not so good Iowa team. In 2007 Iowa lost 6 games, including to Western Michigan to end the season. That team really wasn't that good and that loss shouldn't exactly be shocking. 2014, Iowa went 7-6 and got destroyed by Minnesota. Really the only games that super bowl could really apply to are 2002 and 2014... and that's twice in 20 years, and only one of those games was a shocking loss.

and exactly ZERO games the same way for Iowa over isu. Thanks for proving that isu isn’t and probably never will be Iowa’s Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT