ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Campbell accepts 1 year contract extension.... To stay marketable with a decent buyout?

Yes, ISU played better teams than Iowa did. That was especially glaring in '02.

But if you want to play this game, the more accurate way to judge the question is to look at how the teams did in the immediate aftermath of the game...an overemphasis on the team in Week Two would most likely show itself by poor performance in Week Three and/or Four. A team that goes, for instance, 4-1 in the first half of the season and 2-5 in the second half of the season doesn't indicate a team that overemphasized or played over its head in the second game of the year.

By that standard, over the years since the series was renewed, a better argument could be made that Iowa, not ISU, put too much emphasis on the game.
My god, you literally just made up a bunch of crap.

Reactions: HerkyFan
There is exactly one time ISU beat a great Iowa team - 2002. Every other time ISU won, it was against either a middling or not so good Iowa team. In 2007 Iowa lost 6 games, including to Western Michigan to end the season. That team really wasn't that good and that loss shouldn't exactly be shocking. 2014, Iowa went 7-6 and got destroyed by Minnesota. Really the only games that super bowl could really apply to are 2002 and 2014... and that's twice in 20 years, and only one of those games was a shocking loss.
That argument isn't that they beat "great" Iowa teams Bryce. It's that this game was an outlier to the rest of the season. Did you just decide to start your own argument? Unless someone else said it above, and I missed it. In 2007, Iowa went 6-6 while ISU went 3-9. I think it's fairly clear that was ISU's super bowl that year. It seems silly to argue against that, wouldn't you think. Whether Iowa went on to be just average, ISU was BAD!. To say it's only happened twice in 20 years is ignorant to what is even being argued. This argument evolved in 2007 when a crappy ISU team beat Iowa. Since 2007, and including that game, Iowa is 8-4 against ISU. In those wins, 2007 and 2014 appeared as "Super Bowl" type wins. 2011 can be argued the same as Iowa showed it was better the rest of the year, finishing 7-6 while getting stuck in that brutal bowl loss to a top 10 Oklahoma. Meanwhile ISU finished 6-7 with a bowl loss to Rutgers. 2012 is literally the only time ISU has won in the last 12 years, that their team was better than Iowa's. Finally, flipping the scripts, how many times has Iowa won this game, where it clearly had the inferior team since 2002? I say 2002 because clearly Iowa hadn't won those previous years, where ISU had the better teams. The answer is easy, 0! Now, I'm not going to argue that this really IS ISU's super bowl, I'm just telling you why people would say that.

My god, you literally just made up a bunch of crap.
Makes perfect sense. Unlike what you posted in your response to Bryce. It's pretty clear you really don't understand how things work in the world.

Let's take 1981 as an example, even though I suspect you had not yet been born.. ISU won very easily (23-12 score was a bit misleading). Iowa had just beaten Nebraska and would later beat UCLA and Michigan and go to the Rose Bowl. So did it take a "Super Bowl" effort for Iowa State to win, as a lot of you people keep fantasizing?

If the Cyclones had screwed the pooch in their next game, or never played well again that year, you could make the argument that they shot their wad in the Iowa game. But that didn't happen. Six weeks after the Iowa game, ISU was ranked higher in the polls than Iowa (was in the Top 10 of one poll) and had tied #5 Oklahoma on the road and beaten #8 Missouri by 21 points. The bottom fell out, with injuries and some other problems, and they lost their last four games. So some Hawkeyes yap about how the only reason ISU won the game was that it was their Super Bowl. Bullshit.

2002 was eerily similar. When ISU played Iowa, ISU was the better team, despite playing a horrible first half. A month later, ISU was higher ranked than Iowa (was in the top 10). That doesn't sound like a team that put all its eggs in one basket.

The Iowa game is very important to most ISU fans and to the team, I'm sure. But to call it ISU's Super Bowl is arrogance to the point of delusion.

Last edited:
Trolling hard today I see. It was born during the seasons where this games outcome, was the outlier in what both teams did the rest of the season. Like 2002, 2007, and 2014. 2011 the records were close enough to say this wasn't the case, but Iowa did go on to have the better record there again.
Yes, ISU played better teams than Iowa did. That was especially glaring in '02.

But if you want to play this game, the more accurate way to judge the question is to look at how the teams did in the immediate aftermath of the game...an overemphasis on the team in Week Two would most likely show itself by poor performance in Week Three and/or Four. A team that goes, for instance, 4-1 in the first half of the season and 2-5 in the second half of the season doesn't indicate a team that overemphasized or played over its head in the second game of the year.

By that standard, over the years since the series was renewed, a better argument could be made that Iowa, not ISU, put too much emphasis on the game.
Wut? This makes no sense LC.

I've never understood the lingering, "this is your superbowl," thing. The argument is circular. This is your superbowl. No it's not, it's yours. No it's not. Yes it is. And so on and so on. Iowa has basically owned ISU in head-to-head games in modern times. We all know that.

A more important barometer I think is a team's signature wins. I think it's fair to say ISU is Iowa's signature win of the regular season. Not a superbowl, but their signature win.

Reactions: Foxclone
I've never understood the lingering, "this is your superbowl," thing. The argument is circular. This is your superbowl. No it's not, it's yours. No it's not. Yes it is. And so on and so on. Iowa has basically owned ISU in head-to-head games in modern times. We all know that.

A more important barometer I think is a team's signature wins. I think it's fair to say ISU is Iowa's signature win of the regular season. Not a superbowl, but their signature win.

Clowns fans change what matters from year to year and often week to week during the season. I think it is fair to say Iowa beat isu by playing big boy football and would do so at anytime during this season regardless of who isu’s QB was. Drake and Texas proved me to be correct.

Keep changing the criteria and maybe eventually you and other clown fans will get it right.

Makes perfect sense. Unlike what you posted in your response to Bryce. It's pretty clear you really don't understand how things work in the world.

Let's take 1981 as an example, even though I suspect you had not yet been born.. ISU won very easily (23-12 score was a bit misleading). Iowa had just beaten Nebraska and would later beat UCLA and Michigan and go to the Rose Bowl. So did it take a "Super Bowl" effort for Iowa State to win, as a lot of you people keep fantasizing?

If the Cyclones had screwed the pooch in their next game, or never played well again that year, you could make the argument that they shot their wad in the Iowa game. But that didn't happen. Six weeks after the Iowa game, ISU was ranked higher in the polls than Iowa (was in the Top 10 of one poll) and had tied #5 Oklahoma on the road and beaten #8 Missouri by 21 points. The bottom fell out, with injuries and some other problems, and they lost their last four games. So some Hawkeyes yap about how the only reason ISU won the game was that it was their Super Bowl. Bullshit.

2002 was eerily similar. When ISU played Iowa, ISU was the better team, despite playing a horrible first half. A month later, ISU was higher ranked than Iowa (was in the top 10). That doesn't sound like a team that put all its eggs in one basket.

The Iowa game is very important to most ISU fans and to the team, I'm sure. But to call it ISU's Super Bowl is arrogance to the point of delusion.

Why does Campbell have a countdown clock to the Iowa game if it isn’t isu’s Super Bowl? At least give us it was a faked picture.

Yeah, I've been listening to it for 40 years, which is why I got overly snarky in this thread, for which I apologize.

Maybe there are different definitions for being a team's "Super Bowl." By the ones I've always thought applied, it doesn't fit.

To me, it signifies something like the Army-Navy or Michigan-Ohio State games; the winner of that game can feel the season was successful, or at least fairly successful. It's a game that can get coaches fired. It's a game that can affect a team's play in subsequent games. Iowa-Iowa State just doesn't fit that description.

Hell, you could argue that ISU is Iowa's Super Bowl based on the last two years if your only criterion is which team went on to perform better. (I am NOT making that claim.)

Again, I probably got too snarky. If nothing else, should have agreed on a definiition first. Sorry.

That argument isn't that they beat "great" Iowa teams Bryce. It's that this game was an outlier to the rest of the season. Did you just decide to start your own argument? Unless someone else said it above, and I missed it. In 2007, Iowa went 6-6 while ISU went 3-9. I think it's fairly clear that was ISU's super bowl that year. It seems silly to argue against that, wouldn't you think. Whether Iowa went on to be just average, ISU was BAD!. To say it's only happened twice in 20 years is ignorant to what is even being argued. This argument evolved in 2007 when a crappy ISU team beat Iowa. Since 2007, and including that game, Iowa is 8-4 against ISU. In those wins, 2007 and 2014 appeared as "Super Bowl" type wins. 2011 can be argued the same as Iowa showed it was better the rest of the year, finishing 7-6 while getting stuck in that brutal bowl loss to a top 10 Oklahoma. Meanwhile ISU finished 6-7 with a bowl loss to Rutgers. 2012 is literally the only time ISU has won in the last 12 years, that their team was better than Iowa's. Finally, flipping the scripts, how many times has Iowa won this game, where it clearly had the inferior team since 2002? I say 2002 because clearly Iowa hadn't won those previous years, where ISU had the better teams. The answer is easy, 0! Now, I'm not going to argue that this really IS ISU's super bowl, I'm just telling you why people would say that.

2007 is a bad example. Both teams were not good. Iowa State was like #92 on sagarin and Iowa was #79, and he would have the point spread at 4 on a neutral field. That’s not insurmountable by any means for a home game.

I’d say Iowa State was also clearly better in 2005 but we’re simply splitting hairs there.

2007 is a bad example. Both teams were not good. Iowa State was like #92 on sagarin and Iowa was #79, and he would have the point spread at 4 on a neutral field. That’s not insurmountable by any means for a home game.

I’d say Iowa State was also clearly better in 2005 but we’re simply splitting hairs there.

So what must we ignore for this new clown fan argument?

Hey clown fans just to point out the obvious here but it appears all you are succeeding to do now is dig yourselves into a deeper hole. You may want to check out for a few days and let things blow over for a while.

On the other hand, you can always double or triple down on your delusions you know be a true isu grad. I am good either way.

1 year....I'd say that was strictly recruiting and the fact Campbell won't commit long term to Iowa State.

He is signed through 2024, which is 6 more years. That is a long term contract, but not an insanely long contract like a certain AD in Iowa City likes to write.

He is signed through 2024, which is 6 more years. That is a long term contract, but not an insanely long contract like a certain AD in Iowa City likes to write.

Called it. Clown fan trying to convince us Iowa isn’t isu’s Super Bowl by posting on an Iowa site at 12:45 am.

Has the isu d-bag AD been tossed from a High School basketball game lately? Let me guess must ignore right clown fans?

More please.

2007 is a bad example, despite you admitting ISU was a worse team that upset an Iowa team, who had 3 more wins? I'm confused, was ISU better, no, you just admitted it. It's not that Iowa was good that year, it was that ISU was awful!.
2005 had an ISU team that finished with the same record as Iowa, despite Iowa being ranked at the end of the regular season, and somehow they were clearly better? Good lord, that's kind of another example of how it was ISU's superbowl, and is countering your point above, wouldn't you think? I just didn't bring it up because it wasn't as obvious as the other years, when the two teams went on to have completely different records. You may not realize this, but you've been wiping stuff off your face since we first started debating.

Called it. Clown fan trying to convince us Iowa isn’t isu’s Super Bowl by posting on an Iowa site at 12:45 am.

Has the isu d-bag AD been tossed from a High School basketball game lately? Let me guess must ignore right clown fans?

More please.

More please....

Coming from the one guy on this board who is so obsessed with Iowa State that he never has a comment about ANYTHING related strictly to Hawkeye football or basketball. At least I’ve never seen it.

I should send you a cardinal and gold t-shirt to soothe your fetish.....

And what does posting at 12:45 am have anything to do with anything. I was up.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
More please....

Coming from the one guy on this board who is so obsessed with Iowa State that he never has a comment about ANYTHING related strictly to Hawkeye football or basketball. At least I’ve never seen it.

Like a guy sitting in a bar yelling "This place sucks"...but coming back over and over.

Reactions: HerkyFan
More please....

and there we have it, clown fan obsesses over Iowa at all times of the day and gets down right pissy when anything showing how douchy isu is brought forth.

But I get it, if anyone dares to bring up ways isu players, coaches, fans or AD act like d-bags it will not be tolerated by clown fans. It makes me wonder if they get this pissy that I bring them up why aren’t they more pissed that all of these incidents exist to begin with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT