ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hawkeye Heaven Has Lost Roughly 1,000 Followers In 24 Hours

Mar 14, 2003
Since this whole wear gold vs striped theme fiasco started, I've noticed they have lost around 1,000 followers since I last checked.

The local sports journalists have really hated that guy for quite some time. Several of them pretty frequently implore their own followers to stop following him.

Apparently he has a tendency to post ideas seen other places and claim them as his own, sometimes creating t-shirts from other people's tag lines, ideas, etc. It's sort of to the point that he gets criticized for everything he does regardless of it it's really bad/malicious or not.

I think the rub is that he's a fan, not a journalist, yet undertakes the actions of a journalist sometimes and follows none of the conventions of journalism (primarily disrespecting copyright). He also likes to make/sell t-shirts and I don't think he's a licensee of the university, so he tries to toe the line of trademark as well.

His methods are...ethically questionable.

Reactions: Im4Iowa and unIowa
The local sports journalists have really hated that guy for quite some time. Several of them pretty frequently implore their own followers to stop following him.

Apparently he has a tendency to post ideas seen other places and claim them as his own, sometimes creating t-shirts from other people's tag lines, ideas, etc. It's sort of to the point that he gets criticized for everything he does regardless of it it's really bad/malicious or not.

I think the rub is that he's a fan, not a journalist, yet undertakes the actions of a journalist sometimes and follows none of the conventions of journalism (primarily disrespecting copyright). He also likes to make/sell t-shirts and I don't think he's a licensee of the university, so he tries to toe the line of trademark as well.

His methods are...ethically questionable.

He has stolen copyrighted content...it's not a matter of "disrespecting copyright"...it's a matter of stealing copyrighted content. At least one photographer took legal steps against him.

is this his site? he gets a lot of good interviews and has some sort of clinic as a sponsor. wouldn't quinn early and some of these guys know he's a dork and not do interviews with him? wouldn't the "iowa clinic" know not to advertise with criminals?

https://hawkeyeheaven.net/

Reactions: mustang_hawk
He has stolen copyrighted content...it's not a matter of "disrespecting copyright"...it's a matter of stealing copyrighted content. At least one photographer took legal steps against him.

Yep, what I've read about him is pretty damning....but I still don't see the issue with the state outline and the area code. Maybe that's in poor taste since it's associated with a charity, but that's not really content anyone single entity can claim ownership over. These shirts, hats and decals exist all over the country.

Yep, what I've read about him is pretty damning....but I still don't see the issue with the state outline and the area code. Maybe that's in poor taste since it's associated with a charity, but that's not really content anyone single entity can claim ownership over. These shirts, hats and decals exist all over the country.

Yeah, but that's not the issue Tom and other reporters have with him.

ok what is the issue then? and why would quinn early do interviews with him?

The issue is that he has stolen copyrighted material and passed it off as his own. That is illegal.

I have no idea why Quinn Early would do an interview with him...most people don't know his history. Those interviews don't have to go through the university for approval.

The issue is that he has stolen copyrighted material and passed it off as his own. That is illegal.

I have no idea why Quinn Early would do an interview with him...most people don't know his history. Those interviews don't have to go through the university for approval.
I happen to agree with you on copyrighted stuff by the way. stealing is stealing. I just do not have all the history.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
I have no idea either how somebody could copyright an area code inside an outline of a state. maybe they did. but I am thinking he stole photos and other artwork.

I have no idea either how somebody could copyright an area code inside an outline of a state. maybe they did. but I am thinking he stole photos and other artwork.

Yes, he stole photographs from official university-sanctioned/news photographers. One of the photographers took legal steps against him. He's also stolen pictures/other info that isn't copyrighted and passed them off as his own.

Someone (not sure if this someone was with the university or a reporter) purposely gave him bad info about a recruit or a transfer a few years ago and he ran and told everybody....it was a ridiculous story to begin with. Many laughs were had at his expense. He doesn't get scoops from insiders. The university (athletic department anyway) can't stand him.

He did. He's been blatantly stealing photos and other proprietary work. I was just referring back to a thread blow up here several weeks ago about the area code stuff.

He is using the Tiger Hawk on those shirts, did he get permission for that?

now that is one for sure. I was going to try and not bring that one up because I may know of some low rent guy with a vinyl letter printshop in a seedy area - who may or may not make tiger hawk decals . maybe. and somebody I know might put them on their car. possibly. maybe not.

now that is one for sure. I was going to try and not bring that one up because I may know of some low rent guy with a vinyl letter printshop in a seedy area - who may or may not make tiger hawk decals . maybe. and somebody I know might put them on their car. possibly. maybe not.

He's basically stealing money from the university. Great job.

If not, the university will likely come after him hard. I had an cousin with a screen print shop in Iowa City back in the day and worked there for a bit. He did a lot of graphic design and a ton of Iowa shirts, but he generally went with his own art that featured references to "Iowa" rather than U of I or Hawkeyes because of the licensing. He did some licensed stuff, but he played it by the book and said the university was very aggressive. I assume that stance hasn't changed.

possibly. maybe. after a few beers and with a real loud Tejano band playing in the backround. and he's next to a shop that plays black soul music from the 1970's and 80's and sells these zoot suit looking pimp outfits to black people. or so I'm told. I've never been there. that I can recall. it's possible I dreamed it.

possibly. maybe. after a few beers and with a real loud Tejano band playing in the backround. and he's next to a shop that plays black soul music from the 1970's and 80's and sells these zoot zuit looking pimp outfits to black people. or so I'm told. I've never been there. that I can recall.

Just stop.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
ok so I finally read up on it and educated myself a little on this. I think people are giving HH wayyyy too much attention and credit. I think the more prudent thing to do would be to ignore him and move on. maybe he did suggest everyone wears solid yellow instead of stripes.... so what? sounds like nobody would have paid attention to him on this issue had nobody given him attention. sounds like what the UI says, goes. not what he says.

I have never even heard of that site

Oh well that settles it then. If you haven't heard of HH, then neither have the 120,000 people who have liked the FB page, the 20,000 people who liked the post about wearing all gold, and the 12,000 people who shared the post.

And again, it isn't necessarily *this* one thing (though the university wasn't thrilled from what I've heard), it's what Levi has done as a whole. His usurping of the plans for Saturday just brought other stuff to light moreso than other times in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT