OT Iowa Women's Gymnastics Coach on leave

Dec 14, 2002
Anyone have details?
Racism?
Bullying?
Inappropriate relationship?
Paying rent for one of her athletes?
Other?

The University of Iowa has placed its women's gymnastics head coach on administrative leave while it seeks a review of the program.

Coach Larissa Libby has been placed on leave. Members of the women's gymnastics program at Iowa raised concerns about Libby related to the environment around the program, according to a news release from the athletics department.

Iowa has hired an independent investigator to look into the environment in the women’s gymnastics program after members of the team and staff brought forward concerns regarding head coach Larissa Libby, the athletic department announced Thursday night.

Libby has been placed on paid administrative leave, not as a disciplinary measure but to protect the integrity of the review, the school said in a statement.

Phil Catanzano, co-founder of the Boston-based Education and Sports Law Group, will conduct the investigation.
“We are committed to the well-being of our student-athletes and to ensuring that they train and compete in a respectful and safe environment,” the statement said.
Libby is in her 20th year as head coach and 24th year on the staff. The Hawkeyes have been represented in NCAA regionals, individually or as a team, 23 straight years. She has been chosen Big Ten coach of the year three times.
Iowa will have three gymnasts compete in the NCAA California Regional from April 4-7.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports

I would need a pic before I'd know if I was outraged over a relationship with a female athlete. If she's hot I could forgive it.
Be Careful Wish GIF by Apple TV+

Gymnastics is a weird sport. My anecdotal experience is it is full of messed up parents, kids and coaches.
I kind of agree and see it in Dance also. Honestly I'm not sure if any of them are messed up per say. I think the constant act of traveling and the opening of the checkbook just stress the hell out out of 90% of the parents. The other 10% likely are psycho though.

I'm sort of curious what bad stuff she's being alleged.

I remember a long time ago I think at Penn St. they had a college coach fired because they said she was body shaming them and telling them to lose weight. That blew my mind considering they college athletes.

Gymnastics is a weird sport. My anecdotal experience is it is full of messed up parents, kids and coaches.

It is... different for sure. One of the happiest days for me was when my daughter told me she was done with gymnastics after 4 or 5 years. It wasn't so much that we didn't like it but it was a huge financial and time commitment. She was practicing 3-4 days a week for 3-4 hours each practice. And it was year round. Brutal on the body as well. She was always wrapped and icing her ankles and wrists.

Gymnastics is a pretty toxic sport just like wrestling. Severe weight cutting. Insane pressure to win. An almost rabid obsession that isolates athletes. A lot of these athletes are emotionally broken by the time they reach college.

Gymnastics is a pretty toxic sport just like wrestling. Severe weight cutting. Insane pressure to win. An almost rabid obsession that isolates athletes. A lot of these athletes are emotionally broken by the time they reach college.

Forget emotionally. I'm still waiting for one of my students who is PHYSICALLY healthy after doing competitive gymnastics. These girls are litetally batting 0.000 in that regard.

3 of the girls I had have had a major spinal surgery already. The last one was 14 when she needed it.

interesting take. Do you have a child that competed in gymnastics? The only reason I ask is a lot of people in this thread are throwing around a lot of crap takes minus the person that had a child in the sport.

Gymnastics is a tough sport, had two daughters at Chow’s, one on team for a very long time and another that thought she’d try it to see if she wanted to continue with the sport. Four hours every week day, six on Saturdays training to be the best, Sunday off. Parents aren’t involved in the least except volunteering to run Chow’s meets or when Chow was the host for the national events that came to town.

Cheerleading is child’s play compared to what the gymnasts go through in their training schedules and routines. It is a big financial investment if your child is chosen to team by Chow and continues to move up on the team. Liang runs a great program and is the fun guy while his wife, Li is the hammer. Long story short, I’m sure Libby will be accused of pushing her athletes too hard and one or two of them felt as if they were told to compete hurt or weren’t getting an opportunity to compete so they went to the admin to complain about her. Said she was a mean coach and that she could get them hurt if they competed injured. Gymnastics is a sport you are going to have nics and pains and you have to compete through those or fight through mental blocks. You don’t coach for 24 years and are a bad coach all of a sudden. U of I is doing this to protect itself vs a lawsuit from some gymnasts that they feel weren’t treated the right way or asks to compete injured. It will be interesting to see what the report finds, probably minimal, being a hard ass at times to get the girls to compete and be strong mentally and physically. It is a tough, difficult, and dangerous sport and only the strong need apply.

interesting take. Do you have a child that competed in gymnastics? The only reason I ask is a lot of people in this thread are throwing around a lot of crap takes minus the person that had a child in the sport.

Gymnastics is a tough sport, had two daughters at Chow’s, one on team for a very long time and another that thought she’d try it to see if she wanted to continue with the sport. Four hours every week day, six on Saturdays training to be the best, Sunday off. Parents aren’t involved in the least except volunteering to run Chow’s meets or when Chow was the host for the national events that came to town.

Cheerleading is child’s play compared to what the gymnasts go through in their training schedules and routines. It is a big financial investment if your child is chosen to team by Chow and continues to move up on the team. Liang runs a great program and is the fun guy while his wife, Li is the hammer. Long story short, I’m sure Libby will be accused of pushing her athletes too hard and one or two of them felt as if they were told to compete hurt or weren’t getting an opportunity to compete so they went to the admin to complain about her. Said she was a mean coach and that she could get them hurt if they competed injured. Gymnastics is a sport you are going to have nics and pains and you have to compete through those or fight through mental blocks. You don’t coach for 24 years and are a bad coach all of a sudden. U of I is doing this to protect itself vs a lawsuit from some gymnasts that they feel weren’t treated the right way or asks to compete injured. It will be interesting to see what the report finds, probably minimal, being a hard ass at times to get the girls to compete and be strong mentally and physically. It is a tough, difficult, and dangerous sport and only the strong need apply.
I have family members who were in gymnastics but they didn't last beyond middle school. Even at that age it required a huge investment in time and money. Even birthday parties were held at the gym. It's weird that they already spend so much time at the gym and then pay more to have their birthday parties at the gym on their off days. Cost and demands even at that age we're nuts.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I have family members who were in gymnastics but they didn't last beyond middle school. Even at that age it required a huge investment in time and money. Even birthday parties were held at the gym. It's weird that they already spend so much time at the gym and then pay more to have their birthday parties at the gym on their off days. Cost and demands even at that age we're nuts.
When the kids love the sport that much and that’s what they want, you oblige them with the party where they want it. Just like all the other kids that want to do the same by having their birthday party at the gym. I can think of a lot worse places to go to have a party….JD McFunnigans or that other place that smells like stinky feet and skid marked underwear.

The time and effort these girls put into this is crazy. My daughter started at about 6 years old and ended up at Level 10 for 3 years and now has a D1 scholarship. That won't even cover what we put into it. But it has been worth it even with all those 3-7 hour trips. My other two kids that didn't do gymnastics are not as disciplined in life in general. They might have more friends, but they're the ones I worry about more.

The hours are my biggest beef. These girls that I've worked with, I'm sure, were good athletes but not going to go D1 or compete internationally. I've coached several D1 athletes that formally trained 3 days a week for 2 or 3 hours a session in other sports. Why does gymnastics take these kids for 26 hours a week for minimal long term prospects? It shuts down kids from trying other sports because they are always swamped/hurt from the gym?

This is not a shot at your parenting or your kid's decisions. To each their own... but these local gyms do the same thing as Chow. Why do parents allow that to happen? By no means do I believe the sport is easy but 26 hours seems crazy excessive when kids are already at school for 40 hours a week.

A few months ago JerQuavia Henderson abrupty left the program stating personal reasons. Likely coincidental, but the timing raises eyebrows.

iowa-gymnast-jerquavia-henderson-is-stepping-away-from-v0-upj6q4q1wnbc1.jpeg
Or, not coincidental. The word is one assistant coach, and multiple athletes have stated that Libby was verbally abusive to them.

My daughter (10) is a gymnast. 4 times a week / 3-4 hours a pop. She loves it. She and the rest of the girls bounce around out there at practice. After the season ended last week she has a goal of 3-4 new elements she wants to master for next comp season so she can move up levels.

Personally, I want her out of gymnastics. It is great for developing athleticism at a young age and that is why she originally started. She is tougher and stronger than the boys her age. I just know what it takes to be a college gymnast and I do not want that for her. Ready for her to quit and put her energy into her other two sports, golf and basketball. Especially golf. I'd love to spend entire weekends golfing with her. We already have a good time on the course and she was only 9 last summer, and pretty good for that age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT