ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jimbo Fired

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
$76 million buyout, He was given a 10 year contract 2 years ago.

The numbers just keep getting bigger, It's insane,

Mel Tucker is fighting to be paid his $79M buyout.

KF comes in at #14 here.

Overall, Coaches with the biggest buyout at the time of the Oct 2, 2023 article linked at end of this post:

$92.63M......Kirby Smart, Georgia
$77.56M......Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
$70.02M......Brian Kelly, LSU
$64.67M.....James Franklin, Penn State
$64.00M.....Dabo Swinney, Clemson
$62.06M.....Matt Rhule, Nebraska
$51.19M.......Mark Stoops, Kentucky
$46.50M....Josh Heupel, Tennessee
$46.22M.....Ryan Day, Ohio State
$44.80M....Nick Saban, Alabama
$44.33M.....Dan Lanning, Oregon
$42.21M......Mike Norvell, Florida State
$39.68M.....Luke Fickell, Wisconsin
$37.00M.....Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

Mel Tucker is fighting to be paid his $79M buyout.

KF comes in at #14 here.

Overall, Coaches with the biggest buyout at the time of the Oct 2, 2023 article linked at end of this post:

$92.63M......Kirby Smart, Georgia
$77.56M......Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
$70.02M......Brian Kelly, LSU
$64.67M.....James Franklin, Penn State
$64.00M.....Dabo Swinney, Clemson
$62.06M.....Matt Rhule, Nebraska
$51.19M.......Mark Stoops, Kentucky
$46.50M....Josh Heupel, Tennessee
$46.22M.....Ryan Day, Ohio State
$44.80M....Nick Saban, Alabama
$44.33M.....Dan Lanning, Oregon
$42.21M......Mike Norvell, Florida State
$39.68M.....Luke Fickell, Wisconsin
$37.00M.....Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

And to think, a case could mean that of this list of 14 coaches, maybe 5 of them are not being talked about for being on the hot seat.

We live in a world if instant gratification and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately.

And to think, a case could mean that of this list of 14 coaches, maybe 5 of them are not being talked about for being on the hot seat.

We live in a world if instant gratification and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately.

it's amazing how college head football coaches have all the power. fire them? no problem. they walk away with a huge pay day.

These buyout numbers are mind boggling….here I thought Kirk’s was bad.

Who signed some of these contracts? There is no way these are in the best long term interest of the various universities…

I would LOVE to be fired with a 76 million dollar buyout….

MSU, according to them, fired Mel Tucker with cause. They think they owe him $0.00.

Mel wants the full $79M, of course.

The lawyers fighting over this one are going to make some bank

It appears that the Universities believe that very good college coaches are as rare as hen's teeth. So, they give them ginormous contracts and nothing seems to change all that much. For some, maybe it's just an effort to maintain the staus quo, like Iowa.

But that list is a lot of the very top programs in the country. For example, did MSU REALLY have to give Mel Tucker a ten-year contract? Mel Tucker?

It's crazy. But thanks to TV money these programs are swimming in money. I guess that makes it easy to waste. :rolleyes:

Jimbo Fisher is a B+ coach. Always has; always will be.

He has a high ceiling. And when the stars are aligned, Jimbo can deliver championships. But unlike a True GOAT, he cannot pull a rabbit out of a hat.

The problem for aTm, is that even B+ coaches are hard-to-find. An overpaid B+ coach is still better than most.

Jimbo Fisher is a B+ coach. Always has; always will be.

He has a high ceiling. And when the stars are aligned, Jimbo can deliver championships. But unlike a True GOAT, he cannot pull a rabbit out of a hat.

The problem for aTm, is that even B+ coaches are hard-to-find. An overpaid B+ coach is still better than most.

What does this even mean? 😂

Just saw someone state his contract is not offset by taking a new job. Most contracts are. So if he's hired as a head coach somewhere he gets new contract + the TAMU buyout.

Wild.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Just saw someone state his contract is not offset by taking a new job. Most contracts are. So if he's hired as a head coach somewhere he gets new contract + the TAMU buyout.

Wild.
Could you imagine his agent trying to leverage as much $ as possible out of his next employer, both knowing that he already has $76M coming? LOL! How do you do that with a straight face?

$76 million buyout, He was given a 10 year contract 2 years ago.

The numbers just keep getting bigger, It's insane,

Schools should never give out very long-term contracts or huge buy outs. It is insane.

Penn State fans are getting tired of 10-2 seasons, where each year they lose to Ohio State and Michigan.

Is James Franklin in trouble? If so, his buyout is roughly is $64.67M
I think if he losses both games next year he will be in hot water. Also think he knows it....fired a coordinator.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Knowing Fisher's past at FSU, I don't think the school will have to look too hard to find some dirty laundry to get out of paying the buyout.

But that list is a lot of the very top programs in the country. For example, did MSU REALLY have to give Mel Tucker a ten-year contract? Mel Tucker?

First off the MSU faithful etc forgot that it really wasnt Mel Tucker who made his first year so good but it was the good fortune or luck that they got Ken Walker III iirc as a transfer. Tucker rode Walker's legs to a very good record.

It was then that MSU fans and ADs thought Tucker could do that every year. Stupid as there was no proof of that thought and they really jumped the gun

With Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC A & M is about the 8th best job in that league. It’s crazy how delusional the administration and fans are there.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I saw this tweet that Texas A&M is reaching out to Matt Campbell. Of course, I am in the Philippines so this could be old news to you. LOL

Is this really true? An interview during the season?

If it is, MC must want out pretty bad.

That's funny. Could you imagine the backlash from the fanbase? It would make the Tennessee-Schiano situation look like child's play.

That account says Matt Campbell is going to every job opening.

yeah, it's a running joke; every time there is a job opening, DanPom says Head Coach Matt Campbell is the leading candidate....

Last edited:
With Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC A & M is about the 8th best job in that league. It’s crazy how delusional the administration and fans are there.

from the ESPN article, Texas A&M has a TON of money to throw around when it comes to NIL and their facilities are top notch.

Jimbo got the top notch recruits as a result. The next head coach should, too. The question will be if they can finally coach them to a championship

Per the Athletic, to pay Ol Jimbo's buyout, AD Ross Bork said the initial 19.4 million will come from A & M's donor fund. Then the athletic's budget takes a 7.3 million year a hit for 8 years. So what's going to happen because of one stupid hire after another and willing to just think money is the answer they're probably going to have to cut other Olympic sports. At some point I'd think the big donors might get tired of just throwing their money away. Because unless you get a Saban, and honestly Saban wasn't Saban at Michigan St, every hire you make is a bit of a crapshoot. And then we whine about athletes getting money.

There should be performance clauses in there that reduce payouts if let go without cause.

Jimmy Sexton eats performance clauses for lunch and washes them down with mimosas.

IMG-3096.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT