ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MSU Basketball under Izzo corrupt as hell

NCAA will change their definition of amateurism before they take down these blue-blood programs in revenue-generating sports, MSU included.

It's all about the money for the NCAA and its backers. They aren't going to ban MSU basketball because they want their cut of that revenue. Why did Penn State get to play football after it was proven their program was complicit the Sandusky scandal? The NCAA cared more about making money off of those 100,000 cultists who show up in Happy Valley 8 Saturdays during the fall.

NCAA will change their definition of amateurism before they take down these blue-blood programs in revenue-generating sports, MSU included.
The NCAA may not want to do anything, but IF these coaches are charged and convicted with multiple counts of federal conspiracy, not only will the coaches be sitting in prison but something will be done. I believe just as Louisville had to vacate wins, the NCAA may have their hand forced on this.

It's all about the money for the NCAA and its backers. They aren't going to ban MSU basketball because they want their cut of that revenue. Why did Penn State get to play football after it was proven their program was complicit the Sandusky scandal? The NCAA cared more about making money off of those 100,000 cultists who show up in Happy Valley 8 Saturdays during the fall.

The NCAA is nothing more than a group of schools.

The rule will be the players can earn off the court all they want.

Doing it that way keeps the schools from paying non-revenue sports.

If the NCAA lets these basketball "blue bloods" off this time it will be fair, in my opinion, to label them as a ongoing criminal enterprise.
AND for Iowa and many, many other schools to do whatever they want to create winning programs. Either there are rules to follow or not.

Huh? Your point?

The point is it’s a governing body made up of its member institutions and gets a large source of funding, possibly all from the NCAA tourney so there’s a vested interest to protect what are considered ‘marquee’ institutions. If you think the NCAA wants to do anything about certain schools like a UNC you are going to be very disappointed. They are not motivated to bite the hand that feeds them. An Arizona, Iowa, etc they’ll drop the hammer on.

The point is it’s a governing body made up of its member institutions and gets a large source of funding, possibly all from the NCAA tourney so there’s a vested interest to protect what are considered ‘marquee’ institutions. If you think the NCAA wants to do anything about certain schools like a UNC you are going to be very disappointed. They are not motivated to bite the hand that feeds them. An Arizona, Iowa, etc they’ll drop the hammer on.
Gotcha... I wasn’t clear on your message... Good points.

I think Arizona has become one of the marquee schools. Those outside of the time zone just don't see them as much. I think Lute was pretty clean, when he was at Iowa. I am not so sure anymore about whether that pipeline of great players at Arizona was built only with Lute's charisma.

It is going to take the FBI doing something to fix this. The NCAA is like a watchdog with no teeth, useless.

I agree. The NCAA was formed to be an administrative body. They've had to evolve into a policing body because of all the cheaters out there. But, I don't think they have any power to actually investigate or punish those cheater sufficiently.

It's 2018, and I'm sick to my stomach about sports, business and politics. No ethics or morals. Just cheating and do whatever you can to win. The problem is (for me), is that I really like college sports. I just wish somebody out there would follow the freakin' rules.

I agree. The NCAA was formed to be an administrative body. They've had to evolve into a policing body because of all the cheaters out there. But, I don't think they have any power to actually investigate or punish those cheater sufficiently.

It's 2018, and I'm sick to my stomach about sports, business and politics. No ethics or morals. Just cheating and do whatever you can to win. The problem is (for me), is that I really like college sports. I just wish somebody out there would follow the freakin' rules.
They have the power to shut down a program. I'm confident they can influence schools and departments to comply but its much easier not to and take the money. Humans will selfishly manipulate for what they want as long as the punishment isn't great enough to make them stop.

They have the power to shut down a program. I'm confident they can influence schools and departments to comply but its much easier not to and take the money. Humans will selfishly manipulate for what they want as long as the punishment isn't great enough to make them stop.

Shutting down the program is draconian. Otherwise, all they seem to be able to do is vacate championships or wins, reduce scholarships and keep them out of the NCAA tourney. There needs to be more punishment options between vacating wins and shutting down a program. Like, a coach is banned and has to return salary. Something has to be done to make coaches think twice before cheating! Integrity is all but gone.

Reactions: Hammer93
Shutting down the program is draconian. Otherwise, all they seem to be able to do is vacate championships or wins, reduce scholarships and keep them out of the NCAA tourney. There needs to be more punishment options between vacating wins and shutting down a program. Like, a coach is banned and has to return salary. Something has to be done to make coaches think twice before cheating! Integrity is all but gone.
The punishment of the coaches is what is needed. In many cases , any other penalty is to players who had little or no connection to the crime. Penn state coaches committed despicable acts but the players punished by bowl bans were years later

If the violation is serious (clear large payouts to athletes or representatives and/or families of athletes), coaches need to be fired and banned from ever coaching anything more than their local YMCA team. Schools need to be penalized their share of sports revenues from tournament success for the entire period when the cheating can be proven to have occurred. Depending on the seriousness of the violation, the school should also have some scholarships removed and be banned from post-season play for a period...

Reactions: Hammer93
Good points...I think reducing scholarships for several years along with a ban (say 3 years) from the NCAA tourney would be a good start for a deterrent. Then if further violations are found to occur, penalties ramp up.

People don’t behave like this when they are telling the truth.

www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22578574

Izzo annoyed with scandal questions
Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo says that he isn't involved in the investigation, nor is Miles Bridges, and won't be answering questions about his relationship with former agent Christian Dawkins.

Last edited:
Iowa really has to start cheating. We should have one assistant coach who is a full time lawyer who can simply launder money from boosters to big time recruits without leaving a paper trail. It is simply inexcusable in Year 8 that we don't have at least one NCAA investigation.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
And you will have a school like the one up north that honors a coach that was guilty of academic fraud. Those are the people who give the NCAA their marching orders. It's no wonder nothing changes, db schools like that.

If the violation is serious (clear large payouts to athletes or representatives and/or families of athletes), coaches need to be fired and banned from ever coaching anything more than their local YMCA team. Schools need to be penalized their share of sports revenues from tournament success for the entire period when the cheating can be proven to have occurred. Depending on the seriousness of the violation, the school should also have some scholarships removed and be banned from post-season play for a period...

Why punish the YMCA's?

I agree with stiff penalties/fines. However, I can see this turning in to a pile of lawsuits and other legal crap and only one group of people comes out in good shape. That would be the lawyers who are getting their pockets stuffed with cash dragging this out.

I agree with stiff penalties/fines. However, I can see this turning in to a pile of lawsuits and other legal crap and only one group of people comes out in good shape. That would be the lawyers who are getting their pockets stuffed with cash dragging this out.

True, but Iowa is known for cranking out lawyers from its law school, so there’s that.....

They don't control the coaches contracts. If they tried to ban a coach from coaching due to cheating etc. they would be in court in a legal battle because they don't handle the contracts.
Unless they make rules to dictate punishments defined in contracts by the schools they have no recourse. SO as things sit today, shut down the program or ignore it and verbally slap the school. Whatever the punishment is it will always have to be severe enough people won't take the chance or it isn't worth making a rule.

They don't control the coaches contracts. If they tried to ban a coach from coaching due to cheating etc. they would be in court in a legal battle because they don't handle the contracts.
Unless they make rules to dictate punishments defined in contracts by the schools they have no recourse. SO as things sit today, shut down the program or ignore it and verbally slap the school. Whatever the punishment is it will always have to be severe enough people won't take the chance or it isn't worth making a rule.

They can ban coaches and have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT