ADVERTISEMENT

other R not seeking reelection

sadiehawkins

HB All-American
Sep 21, 2008
OP Rep. Pete King says he won't seek reelection
191111-peter-king-gty-773.jpg

Rep. Peter King, a 14-term congressman, was first elected in 1992. | Zach Gibson/Getty Images

By QUINT FORGEY and STEVEN SHEPARD

11/11/2019 06:52 AM EST

Updated: 11/11/2019 07:27 AM EST

Facebook
Rep. Pete King of New York will not seek reelection in 2020, he said in a statement Monday morning — becoming the latest in a string of House Republican lawmakers to announce their retirements from Congress in recent months.

King, a 14-term congressman first elected in 1992, said the “prime reason” for his departure “was that after 28 years of spending 4 days a week in Washington, D.C., it is time to end the weekly commute and be home” in Seaford, New York.

announced earlier this fall that she was moving to Charlotte, N.C., pausing her political career.

Before exiting Congress, King said he intends to vote against President Donald Trump’s impeachment as part of the Democratic-led House inquiry, and will support the president’s bid for a second term in 2020.

So far 19 GOP House members have made public their plans to retire at the end of this Congress, including a handful of Republican committee leaders.

1. Texas Republican reiterates call to protect Ukraine whistleblower’s identity
  2. Joint Chiefs chair: No end to U.S. presence in the Middle East
  3. California Democrat: No reason for whistleblower to testify
  4. Amy Klobuchar trashes Bloomberg for suggesting 2020 Dems aren’t good enough
  5. Rand Paul calls it ‘big mistake’ for Trump defense to center on quid pro quo

POLITICO
Facebook

On the day Trump was inaugurated, republicans held extremely solid majorities in both congressional caucuses.

In the House, it was
246 R - 187 D (2 vacant)
The Senate was
54 R 46 D

Today it is
197 R - 233 D &
54 R (including Justin Amash - I) - 46 D (including Sanders & Angus King both I)

That, in itself an astounding depletion of legislators in less than a full term of a same party POTUS.

Now, add in 20 republican House and 4 republican Senate retirements, and things certainly don't look good for the short term GOP future.

They have the brunt of Senate seats up in 2020. 23 republicans and only 12 Dems are on the ballot next fall. That will be a tough wall to hold with Gardner, Collins, Thillis, and McSally & Ernst in the hot seats. And that list may grow.

Thanks Trump!

LOL...check out the Rand Paul article linked at the bottom. He's running with the "everybody else is doing it" defense. With one caveat, of course.

."I would make the argument that every politician in Washington, other than me, virtually, is trying to manipulate Ukraine to their purposes”

LOL...check out the Rand Paul article linked at the bottom. He's running with the "everybody else is doing it" defense. With one caveat, of course.

."I would make the argument that every politician in Washington, other than me, virtually, is trying to manipulate Ukraine to their purposes”
This reads like an Onion article.

On the day Trump was inaugurated, republicans held extremely solid majorities in both congressional caucuses.

In the House, it was
246 R - 187 D (2 vacant)
The Senate was
54 R 46 D

Today it is
197 R - 233 D &
54 R (including Justin Amash - I) - 46 D (including Sanders & Angus King both I)

That, in itself an astounding depletion of legislators in less than a full term of a same party POTUS.

Now, add in 20 republican House and 4 republican Senate retirements, and things certainly don't look good for the short term GOP future.

They have the brunt of Senate seats up in 2020. 23 republicans and only 12 Dems are on the ballot next fall. That will be a tough wall to hold with Gardner, Collins, Thillis, and McSally & Ernst in the hot seats. And that list may grow.

Thanks Trump!

It was 52-48 R after the 2016 elections. If you're going to take a swipe at the GOP get your shit together.

King wasn't that offensive to me at one time. I am sure that part of the reason he bus calling it quits is because he got sick and tired of being required to be obedient, and to serve Trump. King knows who Trump is, they've known each other for decades. I am sure he was shocked when Putin installed Trump, and it galls him to see a man in the WH so stupid and corrupt.

Reactions: MitchLL
King wasn't that offensive to me at one time. I am sure that part of the reason he bus calling it quits is because he got sick and tired of being required to be obedient, and to serve Trump. King knows who Trump is, they've known each other for decades. I am sure he was shocked when Putin installed Trump, and it galls him to see a man in the WH so stupid and corrupt.
Another person whose obsequious pandering to The Donald has tarnished his career. He should speak out...but he won't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT