ADVERTISEMENT

Other results 1-27

Rutgers wrestling coach Scott Goodale blames himself for team's defeat to Northwestern​

PISCATAWAY - Rutgers University head wrestling coach Scott Goodale knew where to put the blame for his team's flat performance in a 28-6 defeat to Northwestern Sunday before a crowd of 4,044 at Jersey Mike's Arena.

"I guess I didn't have them ready to go,'' Goodale said. "I just didn't have them ready. For some reason, I don't think they were ready. I thought we were, but we just weren't ready. That's on me. I've got to figure out some things. Maybe, in the room (the wrestling room), we've got to go a little bit harder.''

Northwestern (5-2, 4-2) was a large part of the reason for the Scarlet Knights' performance. Rutgers (9-5, 1-4) just did not match up well with a talented, veteran team that had three returning NCAA All-Americans, another past NCAA All-American and nine ranked wrestlers in its lineup.

The strength of Rutgers' lineup through the first four Big Ten matches was 125 pounds-141 with redshirt freshman Dean Peterson (125), graduate student Joe Heilmann (133) and sophomore Joey Olivieri (141). Those three were a combined 10-2 in Big Ten matches before Sunday. Peterson and Olivieri were both 4-0 in Big Ten matches before Sunday.

However, Northwestern's three wrestlers - redshirt senior Michael DeAugustino (125), redshirt junior Chris Cannon (133) and redshirt sophomore Frankie Tal Shahar were all ranked higher than the Rutgers' trio. DeAugustino and Cannon are returning NCAA All-Americans and Tal Shahar is a returning NCAA qualifier.

The Wildcats, who defeated the Scarlet Knights for the first time in five all-time meetings, won all three weights and they allowed just one reversal in the three bouts. The wins were by a combined six points, but they took any suspense and drama out of the match.

"Once the schedule was released (last September), I knew where Northwestern was at and how tough of a dual (dual meet), this could be for us,'' Goodale said. "We looked forward to those matchups, and when we didn't get one of those, I knew it could be tough sledding.''

Northwestern, ranked No. 14 in the country, won the first seven bouts to build a 22-0 lead. Rutgers, ranked No. 23 in the nation, had just two reversals and no takedowns through the first five bouts.

As strange as it may read and sound, Rutgers may have matched up better with Michigan, which was then ranked No. 3 in the country, in a 24-9 defeat on Jan. 22, than it did with Northwestern.

That is not saying that Northwestern is a better team than Michigan. It is just saying Sunday was a perfect example of what matchups mean in a dual-meet.

NORTHWESTERN SET THE TONE RIGHT AWAY

DeAugustino, the NCAA fourth-place finisher at 125 last year, hung on for a hard-fought 3-2 win over Peterson.

Peterson was close to a takedown as the buzzer sounded, but it was not awarded and the call was upheld after a video review challenge even though the crowd chanted loudly "2'' to signify the takedown should be awarded. The crowd booed loudly when the call was upheld

A takedown 33 seconds into the bout was the difference for DeAugustino was the difference.

Cannon, seventh in the country at 133 the last two seasons, defeated Heilmann 7-3.

Northwestern's Chris Cannon (left) grabs the leg of Rutgers' Joe Heilmann in his 7-3 win in the 133-pound bout. Northwestern won the match 28-6.

Cannon, a former Blair Academy wrestler and Oceanport native, pulled away from a 3-3 tie after two periods with an escape, takedown and riding time point.

Tal Shahar defeated Olivieri 5-3 with takedowns in the second and third periods.

"I know they're (Northwestern) really good,'' Goodale said. "But, you know what you're in for in this conference. You have to bring the fight. They brought it to us. That's on me. I've got to get them ready to go. I knew this could be a tough day.''"

TWO THAT GOT AWAY

But, Rutgers actually had a chance in the second half of the match to make the final score much more respectable.

The Scarlet Knights were in position to win at both 165 and 174, but Robert Kanniard (165) and Jackson Turley (174), both let leads get away late.

Rutgers' Jackson Turley has Northwestern's Troy Fisher on his back in the first period of the 174-pound bout. Fisher won the bout 11-10. Northwestern won the match 28-6.

The one at 174 was particularly galling for Rutgers as Turley built a six-point lead in the first period against Troy Fisher when he threw Fisher to his back. He almost had Fisher pinned.

However, Fisher chipped away with five takedowns in the second and third periods to record an 11-10 win. The winning takedown came with 30 seconds left.

Before that, it looked like Kanniard was going to make a successful return to the Rutgers lineup after he missed the last three matches with a knee injury.

Northwestern's Max Mayfield (purple singlet) rallied late in the 165-pound bout to defeat Rutgers' Robert Kanniard 9-4. Northwestern won the match 28-6.

However, a takedown and four back points by Maxx Mayfield in the final nine seconds enabled him to record a 9-4 win.

The bout was tied 3-3, and Kanniard had the riding time point locked up to win the bout by a point after he rode Maxfield for the last 54 seconds of the first period after a takedown, which was Rutgers' first takedown of the match, and the first 1:37 of the second.

But, off an extended scramble Mayfield finally got the takedown after Kanniard had desperately hung on to Mayfield's ankle for about 20 seconds and put Kanniard to his back.

"You've got to be able to wrestle for seven minutes, and I'll leave it at that,'' Goodale said about the bouts at 165 and 174.

SOLDANO WITH LATE MAGIC

There was a real chance Rutgers was going to get shutout with three bouts remaining before freshman Brian Soldano (184) came up with some late heroics.

Rutgers' freshman Brian Soldano (center facing the camera) recorded the Scarlet Knights' first win in their 28-6 defeat to Northwestern Sunday with a 9-5 victory over Evan Bates.

Tied 5-5 with Evan Bates and with sudden victory on the horizon, Soldano turned Bates to his back four back points in the final 20 seconds to record a 9-5 win and break a three-bout losing streak

It was the second time Soldano had defeated Bates in dramatic fashion this season. He pinned in a Midlands Championship quarterfinal when he flipped Bates to his back in a bout Bates was leading 14-8 at the time and had had Soldano on his back a couple of times.

Through the first five bouts, Northwestern allowed just two reversals and no takedowns.

JANZER CONTINUES TO PROGRESS

Redshirt junior 197-pounder Billy Janzer continued to show he is turning the corner with a 3-1 win in sudden victory over returning NCAA qualifier Andrew Davison.

Rutgers' Billy Janzer (back) defeated Northwestern's Andrew Davison 3-1 in Sudden Victory in the 197-pound bout Sunday. Northwestern won the match 28-6.

It was the second straight win for Janzer (5-8), who was an NCAA qualifier at 184 in 2020, when the pandemic canceled the national tournament, and in 2021, before he was redshirt last season with injuries.

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. –––– Facing a 13-4 halftime deficit, Indiana won four of the last five matches to storm back and beat Purdue, 17-16, in a thrilling rivalry dual on Sunday afternoon.

Indiana found life in the 165 bout when Nick South topped Cooper Noehre in Sudden Victory for a 3-1 win, to pull the score to 13-7.

No. 18 Donnell Washington continued the onslaught by defeating Jake Null by major decision, 19-11, at 174 lbs. to make it 13-11.

A Purdue decision followed at 184. Freshman Gabe Sollars quickly snatched the momentum back to the Hoosiers with a 4-0 decision victory to set up a dramatic last bout with Indiana just trailing by two points, 16-14.

Senior and No. 24 Jacob Bullock (285) was in a tight battle with Hayden Copass in the final match. It was a scoreless first period before Bullock started on bottom in the second, and quickly escaped to go up 1-0.

From there, Bullock rode Copass out the final two minutes and secured the riding time point in the process to earn a 2-0 decision victory.

Indiana's win propelled it to 7-2 on the season and 3-2 in the Big Ten.

This was the Hoosiers' first win over Purdue since 2010, snapping a 12-dual losing streak.

NOTABLES
• Indiana redshirt senior Graham Rooks' win at 149 improved to 22-5.
• In his first win since the Rutgers match, Nick South (165) found a way to win another dramatic, and decisive bout, while bumping up to 7-5 on the season in the process.
• Washington's win at 174 was his sixth win by major decision this year.
• The win for Sollars was his first Big Ten dual victory of his collegiate career.
• This is the second time this season that Jacob Bullock won a deciding-bout for the Hoosiers, previously pinning Cory Day of Binghamton at the Garden State Grapple to secure an Indiana win.

UP NEXT
• Indiana Wrestling will be back at home for its next match as the Hoosiers host top-ranked Penn State on Sunday, Feb. 5 for a 2 p.m. dual at Wilkinson Hall.

FULL RESULTS

125: No. 3 Matt Ramos (PU) def. Jacob Moran (IU) |Dec. 7-1 | Score: PUR up 3-0

133: Dustin Norris (PU) def. No. 28 Henry Porter (IU) |Dec. 8-6 | Score: PUR up 6-0

141: No. 14 Parker Filius (PU) def. Cayden Rooks (IU) |MD, 15-3 | Score: PUR up 10-0

149: No. 30 Graham Rooks (IU) def. Christian Navida (PU) |MD, 12-2 | Score: PUR up 10-4

157: No. 6 Kendall Coleman (PU) def. No. 19 Derek Gilcher (IU) |Dec. 10-3 | Score: PUR up 13-4

165: Nick South (IU) def. Cooper Noehre (PU) |SV-1, 3-1 | Score: PUR up 13-7

174: No. 18 DJ Washington (IU) def. Jake Null (PU) |MD, 19-11 | Score: PUR up 13-11

184: Ben Vanadia (PU) def. Clayton Fielden (IU) |Dec. 6-4 | Score: PUR up 16-11

197: Gabe Sollars (IU) def. Hayden Filipovich (PU) |Dec. 4-0 | Score: PUR up 16-14

285: No. 24 Jacob Bullock (IU) def. Hayden Copass (PU) |Dec. 2-0 | Score: IU up 16-14

FINAL TEAM SCORE: No. 17 INDIANA 17, PURDUE 16

Oklahoma State Falls at No. 4 Iowa State, 18-11​

AMES, Iowa – The Oklahoma State wrestling team moved to 9-2 on the season after an 18-11 loss at No. 4 Iowa State that came down to the final bout on Sunday in Hilton Coliseum.

The Cowboys and Cyclones were tied at 11 going into the 197-pound match after trading decisions through the first eight bouts. No. 18 Luke Surber stood toe to toe with No. 5 Yonger Bastida at 197 pounds for two periods, but after Bastida chose down and escaped to start the third, an injury timeout allowed him to retake bottom position and separate the score to put the Cyclones ahead.

At heavyweight, redshirt freshman Kyle Haas made his dual debut against No. 10 Sam Schuyler. Haas entered the match 10-3 on the season with eight falls, but was unable to get anything going against Schuyler as he dropped a 10-1 major decision, which clinched the dual for Iowa State.

The Cyclones struck first at 125 pounds with a 10-4 decision from Caleb Fuessley over Zach Blankenship. The Cowboys responded with back-to-back wins from Daton Fix and Carter Young to take the lead. Fix improved to 16-0 this season with a decision over Zach Redding, while Young knocked off No. 19 Casey Swiderski, 3-0, to cap off a stellar weekend.

At 149 pounds, No. 18 Victor Voinovich fell to No. 6 Paniro Johnson, 3-1, with a second-period near fall being the difference in the match. Kaden Gfeller immediately returned the lead to OSU with a 3-1 decision over No. 27 Jason Kraisser behind a third-period reversal and riding time point.

Iowa State would win two of the next three bouts to tie up the dual, but the Cowboys were able to hold No. 2 David Carr and No. 4 Marcus Coleman to decisions in their matches. No. 6 Dustin Plott improved to 15-1 this season with a 13-7 decision over No. 23 Julien Broderson.

Oklahoma State will look to bounce back on Friday against No. 3 Michigan as it heads to Arlington for Bout at the Ballpark at Globe Life Field. The Cowboys will then return home for another conference showdown with No. 9 Missouri.

No. 4 Iowa State 18, No. 10 Oklahoma State 11
Jan. 29, 2023 I Hilton Coliseum I Ames, Iowa
Attendance: 4,908

125: Caleb Fuessley (ISU) dec. Zach Blankenship (OSU), 10-4
133: No. 2 Daton Fix (OSU) dec. Zach Redding (ISU), 8-3
141: No. 32 Carter Young (OSU) dec. No. 19 Casey Swiderski (ISU), 3-0
149: No. 6 Paniro Johnson (ISU) dec. No. 20 Victor Voinovich (OSU), 3-1
157: No. 11 Kaden Gfeller (OSU) dec. No. 27 Jason Kraisser (ISU), 3-1
165: No. 2 David Carr (ISU) dec. No. 26 Wyatt Sheets (OSU), 5-3
174: No. 6 Dustin Plott (OSU) dec. No. 23 Julien Broderson (ISU), 13-7
184: No. 4 Marcus Coleman (ISU) dec. Gavin Stika (OSU), 7-2
197: No. 5 Yonger Bastida (ISU) dec. No. 18 Luke Surber (OSU), 7-2
HWT: No. 10 Sam Schulyer (ISU) MD Kyle Haas (OSU), 10-1
*Both teams were deducted one team point following the 141-pound match.
Print Friendly Version
Watched some of this between Eagles/49ers game. ISU's 125 pounder looked good, stepped in and took it to Blankenship. Swiderski on the other hand... I remember all those weeks ago the talk about him smashing Woods and making a run at nationals. He looked pretty helpless on the mat yesterday. Then he was literally mule kicking the OSU kid in the ribs at the end of the match trying to get his leg free, got docked a point. He may bounce back and turn things around but right now he just seems like a hotheaded punk who throws temper tantrums when he loses.

Reactions: MitchLL
Watched some of this between Eagles/49ers game. ISU's 125 pounder looked good, stepped in and took it to Blankenship. Swiderski on the other hand... I remember all those weeks ago the talk about him smashing Woods and making a run at nationals. He looked pretty helpless on the mat yesterday. Then he was literally mule kicking the OSU kid in the ribs at the end of the match trying to get his leg free, got docked a point. He may bounce back and turn things around but right now he just seems like a hotheaded punk who throws temper tantrums when he loses.

Refs totally screwed that up...John had a right to be pissed.

Reactions: moug
Definitely a hot head. I've seen him get worked up a few times this year. Blankenship is awful. I wouldn't base much of anything on that match.

Guess we're seeing the "Metcalf influence".

The early returns on that highly rated 2022 recruiting class don't look great right now.

The Rojas kid from Michigan was also highly rated and is struggling bigly.

Most of that class might be at Wartburg in a few years(Mulder doing great after leaving Ames). ISU can be Wartburg's farm team. Or Upper Iowa's. Or Grandview's?

Last edited:
Reactions: TNTwrestle
Just watched the video of the Swiderski match vs OSU on the Gopher wrestling forum...what a little bitch ass stunt with the mule kicks at the end of the match. Also threw an elbow just before the mule kick
I imagine Clone fans that called for DeSanto to be suspended last year feel a suspension is also needed for lil Casey here?

Swiderski is a punk. That's middle school shit. If he even qualifies for Nattys, I hope Real Woods breaks him in two.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
ADVERTISEMENT