ADVERTISEMENT

Other results- Nov. 1-3

A couple weeks ago, I took some heat for saying I thought Nick Lee was the favorite at 141 based on consistency over Demas. Well, in his first competition, Demas was taken to OT by a nobody and then beaten by Pletcher. Maybe I had a point after all...

giphy.gif

Wisconsin 24 Navy 12
125 Logan Treaster Newton, KS (Navy) DEC Michael Cullen Cary, IL (Wisconsin), 1-0
133 Seth Gross Apple Valley, MN (Wisconsin) MD Casey Cobb Nampa, ID (Navy), 11-2
141 Tristan Moran Stillwater, OK (Wisconsin) DEC Cody Trybus Elkton, MD (Navy), 5-3
149 Cole Martin Madison, WI (Wisconsin) MD Morgan Fuenffinger Mountain Iron, MN (Navy), 15-3
157 Garrett Model Stoughton, WI (Wisconsin) DEC Scout Skidgel Tulsa, OK (Navy), 10-7
165 Evan Wick Madison, WI (Wisconsin) MD Tanner Skidgel Tulsa, OK (Navy), 10-2
174 Spencer Carey Ringwood, NJ (Navy) F Anders Lantz Ellsworth, WI (Wisconsin), 3:26
184 Tyler Dow Stoughton, WI (Wisconsin) DEC Andrew Buckley Smithfield, KY (Navy), 3-1 SV
197 Jacob Koser Dillsburg, PA (Navy) DEC Taylor Watkins Columbus, KS (Wisconsin), 4-1
285 Trent Hillger Holly, MI (Wisconsin) DEC John Birchmeier Ashburn, VA (Navy), 1-0

Sure, but holy hell...
Heinselman got beat 20-0 in wrestlebacks plus he got stuck
Kinner took 4th at 133
141 good tourney...beat Big Move Bob from Okie
149 Great tourney
149 Hayes did not get to Sasso; ended up losing and df out
157 Both guys were beat out; looks like Hayes back up to that weight
165 Kharchla won it...had a solid first outing
165-Smith took third
174 Romero won; snorefest but beat a solid DJ Shannon for third
174 Jordan got majored by Mantanona and defaulted out to 6th
184 Hoffman would be third string on Buffalo's team
197 Kevin Snyder 2-2
HWY Almost a big loss by Moore...went into OT with Woodley and won it

But Sasso is a stud...we should all have some of what he is smoking <ahem>
Huge fan of Kharchla. He’s going to contend for titles. Other than him and sasso, I’m not super high on any of their top recruits.

A couple weeks ago, I took some heat for saying I thought Nick Lee was the favorite at 141 based on consistency over Demas. Well, in his first competition, Demas was taken to OT by a nobody and then beaten by Pletcher. Maybe I had a point after all...
Before you can be the man, you have to beat the man

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Gopher wrestling program earned a 28-9 season opening victory over CSU Bakersfield on Friday night in Maturi Pavilion.

Results:
125: Patrick Mckee (MINN) over Alex Hernandez-Figueroa (CSUB) (Fall 0:57)
133: Chance Rich (CSUB) over Brent Jones (MINN) (Dec 7-4)
141: Mitch McKee (MINN) over Angelo Martinoni (CSUB) (MD 14-5)
149: Brayton Lee (MINN) over Russell Rohlfing (CSUB) (Dec 8-7)
157: Carson Brolsma (MINN) over Wyatt Gerl (CSUB) (3-1, OT)
165: Bailee O`Reilly (MINN) over Jacob Thalin (CSUB) (Dec 6-5)
174: Devin Skatzka (MINN) over Josh Annis (CSUB) (TF 19-0 4:01)
184: Owen Webster (MINN) over Josh Loomer (CSUB) (MD 16-3)
197: Dominic Ducharme (CSUB) over Garrett Joles (MINN) (Dec 6-4)
285: Jarrod Snyder (CSUB) over Chase O`Connor (MINN) (4-1, OT)

No Gable?

This might be the issue with Hoffman but he did wrestle 86kg this summer. IIRC, Assad took him out.
The extra 5.5 lbs down to 184 could make a difference. I didn't see any of his matches yesterday, but I did watch the wrestle off and he had no juice. Looked weak and couldn't finish shots. I'm guessing the cut is a lot for him and I don't think he was going to be elite this year before the cut. We'll see if he improves as the year goes on.

No Gable?
Gable Stevenson isn't wrestling right now. OP mentioned it at length. Has removed all MN Wrestling from social media but was matside. If Kerk wasn't going to PSU (rumored) then I'm sure he'd be rumored for GS to be heading east.

Five Ohio State wrestlers advanced to their respective weight class finals at the season-opening Michigan State Open and all five walked off the mat as champions. Carson Kharchla, Kollin Moore, Luke Pletcher, Kaleb Romero and Sammy Sasso each ignited their 2019-20 season with 5-0 records and hardware to bring back to campus.

CARSON KHARCHLA (165 lbs)
The true freshman from Powell, Ohio, impressed in his collegiate debut. After sending a Wolverine (Cameron Amine) into the consolation bracket with a 3-2 semifinals decision, Kharchla followed by blanking No. 21 Emil Soehnlen (Purdue), 6-0, in the finals bout. This marked his second triumph over a nationally-ranked opponent, blasting No. 20 Troy Keller (Buffalo) via 19-2 tech fall in the quarterfinals.

KOLLIN MOORE (197 lbs)
Moore, ranked No. 1 in the country, played the part well in his first four bouts, cruising to the finals on the strength of four consecutive bonus-point wins. He was then faced with a bit of adversity, trailing 3-1 to No. 16 Jake Woodley (Oklahoma) entering the finals' third frame. Moore would battle back, however, to force sudden victory and ultimately nab the match-winning takedown in the extra period.

LUKE PLETCHER (141 lbs)
A bump up to 141 pounds for his senior campaign did little to derail Pletcher's quest for the nation's top spot. His preseason ranking of No. 3 is certain to change next week after knocking off No. 1 Dom Demas (Oklahoma) in the MSU Open championship bout. The match spilled into a tiebreaker where Pletcher was able to escape on his turn in the referee's position before riding Demas for the complete 30 seconds and securing a 2-1 win.

KALEB ROMERO (174 lbs)
Romero bounced back from a wrestle-off defeat last week and arose victorious when it mattered most. He starts off his redshirt sophomore year at 5-0 with three straight wins over conference foes to conclude his title run.

SAMMY SASSO (149 lbs)
Whoa. That was impressive. No one could hang with Sasso for a complete 7-minute match as he accumulated three pins and two tech falls to end all bouts early. He faced Michigan's Kanen Storr in the finals, handing the Wolverine a 19-4 tech fall.

Reactions: fronk71
Safe to say, I've missed wrestling season...Oh and here's Edinboro's results.

KENT, Ohio -- In one day the Edinboro wrestling team eclipsed its win total from the 2018-19 season. Competing in the Kent State Duals to open the 2019-20 season, the Fighting Scots posted wins over Kent State (29-6), Mercyhurst North East (52-0), and Ashland (36-3) to sprint to a 3-0 start.

EDINBORO 29, KENT STATE 6
125 lbs. - Lucas Rodriguez (EU) dec. Earl Blake (KSU), 3-0 (EU leads 3-0)
133 lbs. - Tye Varndell (EU) dec. Tim Rooney (KSU), 7-5 (EU leads 6-0)
141 lbs. - Nate Hagan (EU) dec. Cory Simpson (KSU), 5-2 (EU leads 9-0)
149 lbs. - Tyler Vath (EU) dec. Kody Komara (KSU), 8-7 (EU leads 12-0)
157 lbs. - Brady Chrisman (KSU) dec. Peter Pappas (EU), 6-5 (EU leads 12-3)
165 lbs. - Derek Ciavarro (EU) dec. Kade Byland (KSU), 5-3 (EU leads 15-3)
174 lbs. - Jacob Oliver (EU) fall over Andrew McNally (KSU), 3:15 (EU leads 21-3)
184 lbs. - Cody Mulligan (EU) maj. dec. Lane Hinkle (KSU), 12-3 (EU leads 25-3)
197 lbs. - Colin McCracken (KSU) dec. Dylan Reynolds (EU), 7-3 (EU leads 25-6)
Hwt. - Jon Spaulding (EU) maj. dec. Spencer Berthhold (KSU), 12-1 (EU leads 29-6)

EDINBORO 52, MERCYHURST NORTH EAST 0
125 lbs. - Lucas Rodriguez (EU) fall over Caiden Eastman (MNE), 0:40 (EU leads 6-0)
133 lbs. - Tye Varndell (EU) maj. dec. Dillon Schnars (MNE), 13-4 (EU leads 10-0)
141 lbs. - Nate Hagan (EU) fall over Isaaiah Smith (MNE), 2:40 (EU leads 16-0)
149 lbs. - Tyler Vath (EU) tech. fall Dylan Muscarella (MNE), 15-0, 5:08 (EU leads 21-0)
157 lbs. - Peter Pappas (EU) tech. fall Aaron Morris (MNE), 17-2 (EU leads 26-0)
165 lbs. - Derek Ciavarro (EU) tech. fall Spencer Head (MNE), 19-4 (EU leads 31-0)
174 lbs. - Cullen Wolford (EU) tech. fall Demitrius Smith (MNE), 19-1 (EU leads 36-0)
184 lbs. - Cody Mulligan (EU) fall over Matthew Hammond (MNE), 1:05 (EU leads 42-0)
197 lbs. - Koltyn Eason (EU) dec. Draven Douglas (MNE), 2:18 (EU leads 48-0)
Hwt. - Jon Spaulding (EU) maj. dec. Jonathan Vargo (MNE), 20-7 (EU leads 52-0)

EDINBORO 36, ASHLAND 3
125 lbs. - Lucas Rodriguez (EU) dec. Christian Wellman (AU), 5-2 (EU leads 3-0)
133 lbs. - Tye Varndell (EU) dec. Lawrence Dudgeon (AU), 10-6 (EU leads 6-0)
141 lbs. - Nate Hagan (EU) won by forfeit (EU leads 12-0)
149 lbs. - Tyler Vath (EU) dec. Carson Speelman (AU), 6-0 (EU leads 15-0)
157 lbs. - Peter Pappas (EU) fall over Nick Carbone (AU), 3:30 (EU leads 21-0)
165 lbs. - Derek Ciavarro (EU) dec. Christian Price (AU), 3-1 (EU leads 24-0)
174 lbs. - Bret Romanzak (AU) dec. Jacob Oliver (EU), 8-5 (EU leads 24-3)
184 lbs. - Cody Mulligan (EU) maj. dec. Aidan Pasiuk (AU), 12-1 (EU leads 28-3)
197 lbs. - Dylan Reynolds (EU) maj. dec. Peter Abraham (AU), 18-5 (EU leads 32-3)
Hwt. - Jon Spaulding (EU) maj. dec. Tristan Weirich (AU), 12-2 (EU leads 36-3)

@Vallholl thanks again for putting these all in one place.
Selfishly, I do it so that I can read the comments offered by others. And hopefully this doesn't jinx it, but it is one of the more cesspool-free threads on the board. ...or maybe better stated: one of the threads that avoids fan base bickering after four posts.

It is 83% bickering-free!

@Vallholl thanks again for putting these all in one place.

I will heartily second that. I don't really come to HR in the off season, but I came back to check specifically for this. Yours is always a go to thread for me to get up to date quickly on results. Much appreciated.

Wow...what a real sleeper pick!

Don't get into an NCAA pool with this piranha!

Ohio State looks great at 4 weights- 141, 149, 165, 197.

Then they look good at 133, 174, 157 (Hayes).

Question marks at 184 and Hvy, but Hoffman and Singletary were both top 10 overall recruits. So, talent isn't the question, rather weight class is, as both of them want and should be competing at 197, but unfortunately for them the Buckeyes have #1 ranked Moore in the lineup blocking their route to the starting lineup.

Then 125 is a legitimate hole. However, rumor of top 10 overall recruit Jordan Decatur cutting down to this weight appear to be real. If he is in fact competing at 125, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

The thing about Ohio State is they have recruited so well that despite losing so much from last year's lineup and really the last two year's lineups, that they have legitimate talent all over the place to fill in. 157-Mattox was a stud who beat David Carr In high school. 174-Romero is a sensational athlete who never wrestled outside of wrestling season prior to last year and whose ceiling is sky high. 133-Kinner impresses me everytime I see him wrestle and was a real recruit as well, although not a top ten guy, he was #1 at his weight as a Senior.

Losing Kerk hurts immensely without a doubt and they are desperate for a heavyweight now. Transfers have to be looking at Ohio State longingly right now, with no real heavyweight on the roster at all now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT