ADVERTISEMENT

OTT Session 3

Good grief you just can't help yourself can you? This is an OTT thread celebrating Spencer Lee, not one starting a religious pissing match.

I didn't bring up Gilman's interview, just commented on it as have others. Overall good interview, but it's almost impossible to hear a PSU/NLWC wrestler give an interview without them preaching religion these days. Feel free to continue to criticize my comments if they bother you.

Gilman went beyond just thanking God. Dude was quoting specific biblical fables and evaluating his teammates faith ("Kerk is still a baby in his faith", etc.) Very cultlike. I stand by my take that they're using religion as a proxy for sports psychology. Nothing wrong with that but it's weird to constantly preach publicly like they do in my opinion.

As happy as I was for Spencer, seeing the look on TGs face when he was on his back accepting reality.. I Guess what I'm trying to say is he's definitely still a hawk to me

I was never a particular Gilman fan (other than his wrestling, of which I was a HUGE fan). But it's always difficult to see a guy like that in their final moment of defeat. Heart-wrenching.

I felt the same way when NATO gave-in in the final seconds of the NCAA Finals match. So ecstatic for Spencer at that moment; but had to feel NATOs pain.

I didn't bring up Gilman's interview, just commented on it as have others. Overall good interview, but it's almost impossible to hear a PSU/NLWC wrestler give an interview without them preaching religion these days. Feel free to continue to criticize my comments if they bother you.

Gilman went beyond just thanking God. Dude was quoting specific biblical fables and evaluating his teammates faith ("Kerk is still a baby in his faith", etc.) Very cultlike. I stand by my take that they're using religion as a proxy for sports psychology. Nothing wrong with that but it's weird to constantly preach publicly like they do in my opinion.
Blah blah blah just stfu already, we all know your feelings on religious expression, we don't need to hear it in every possible thread.

From watching it live and replays I’ve seen it was 2. Really hard to rely on a still shot like that.

One of those matches where you are ecstatic for one wrestler and gutted for the other. Congratulations Specer Lee!!!

Let's go! Creative, explosive, powerful, skilled. He's got some tank issues periodically and obviously some injury issues, but what an effing monster.
This version of Spencer would have destroyed everyone in the NCAA tournament last year to be a 4 timer. I don’t think we realized how little wrestling and conditioning he could do his last year, coming back 6 months earlier than most people could after double ACL replacement. He put his knees in some very bad positions this tournament, and didn’t seem too worried 👍

BTW...Gilman's interview, as noted above, calmed some choppy waters. Having a wife/family/some time off can really help a guy's perspective. He looked good this weekend but I don't know if he keeps on going.
Anyone got a link to his interview? I saw a short clip on X but it didn’t include some of what guys have mentioned here TIA.

Cause Davis, Desmond, and Lilledaul aren’t enough.
If they got Blaze, that would give PSU a staggering 8 out of 20 of the top 20 p4p H.S. kids by FLO rankings. Iowa gets 1.

One can see it coming ....in another year or two we can marvel how Cael develops wrestlers so they can win yet another team title.

But who knows .... with hard work, we'll get our much lower ranked recruits to surpass PSU. :)

Reactions: Libertylover
If his interview isn’t a selling point for Iowa and the culture, I don’t know what is. How many times did he mention Iowa, his coaches and even went as far to say that he would be retired, if it wasn’t for Iowa and his coaches.

Hello, blaze, Forrest, Bassett….

Also beat the NLWC guy head to head.

Amen, brother! 😉 I agree with everything you said

1:20? There were 2 seconds left in the match when the pin was called.
The clock jumps all over. So my mistake, sir, you're right (as you always think you are)

But my point still stands. He locks up the arm bar at :30. Gilman wasn't going anywhere and Lee could ride out the clock in that position.

Reactions: SPOONER
Just wanted to say this PSU fan will be cheering for your boy Spencer. He looked absolutely phenomenal, and I hope he gets the job done next month. It was nice seeing the arena cheer for him and his family.
And you’re not the only one. Been about 10 years since I first watched Spencer wrestle as a HS freshman. I remember coming home and telling my wife about this kid that would someday make the Olympic team. Jumping the gun? Nah. Gilman was back to his world-class, tough-as-iron self and Spencer beat him twice, within hours. Ain’t nothing in Istanbul (except perhaps outrageous officiating or challenge decisions) that keeps my 10-year-old prediction from happening.
Congrats to Hawkeye nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT