ADVERTISEMENT

OTT Session 3

I thought we were talking proselytizing not praying.

Matthew 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
The holy spirit got left out of the equation, unfortunately, imo. And father never took a wife.

For the record, Matthew 6:5-6:

<< And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.>>

Reactions: el dub
For the record, Matthew 6:5-6:

<< And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.>>
Hypocrites practice their religion in public places. (Praying/Thanking God)

The Holy Spirit has this….. And rewards come to those who follow this practice.

From here, it appears some folks maybe aren’t getting those rewards as well, eh?

Hypocrites practice their religion in public places. (Praying/Thanking God)
They key is the motive. The Pharisees' goals as revealed in those verses was to be seen by other men, specifically their own people, for their own glory and honor. Christians are commanded to do things publicly for the glory of God.

Matthew 5:14–16 - 14“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do men light a lamp, and put it under the peck-measure, but on the lampstand; and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. (NASB)

Comrades:

I firmly believe this thread can hit 20 pages if we give it our best effort!
I'll assist. Evolution....of self awareness/consciousness and sociality in our species....is what created religion. Ironic, huh? It's why existence of 'religion' is almost universal across human cultures (same species) yet there are a bizillion creation stories and associated beliefs/rituals (different tribes isolated across space/time creating and then maintaining a tribal identity). And boy do tribes like to be the dominant tribe. Discuss. 😉

self awareness/consciousness and sociality in our species
Here, I thought it was one part mankind's penchant to BS the F out of anything they can't understand, and a second part establish control over those who understood even less. Maybe it was a collective lack of self-awareness/consciousness that allowed it to take hold.

Reactions: el dub
Some good thoughts here. When healthy, we've seen SL be able to do 7 mins just fine in folk...especially when they peak him for nationals. I think, in his case, conditioning issues comes down to not being able to wrestle live as much as the next guy because of his knees over the years. As we know, there is really no substitute for gas tank building than wrestling.

That ultra marathon stuff is just nuts. Ever read David Goggins book Can't Hurt Me? If not, worth the read. He talks about how he heard about an ultra marathon qualifier in the local area and decides on a whim to go run it. Pain and hilarity ensue.
One of my favorite books. Bought it on audible years ago, and he is one bad ass “mother trucker” lol. I enjoy hearing stories from people that have fought hard to overcome great challenges in life, and he certainly falls into this category. Lots of good nuggets one can take away and consider applying to their own life imho.

Gotta be prepared for a million f bombs is all lol. I think the f word is his favorite, and he pretty much says that. Ha!

Reactions: IAChief32
No lack of self awareness regarding our relatively short shelf life. The mind don't like that and seeks solutions. That's the primary self awareness I was referring to. I'm gonna run along again now. Peace out.
You might enjoy "The Book of Dead Philosophers." I do.

Religions may propose gaining deeper meanings to our short lives while we live. Religions may propose some infinite afterlife. The combination of the two seems a common theme. If these make for a better and more peaceful life and death, then I guess they've done a service.

Reactions: Trapper85
I'll assist. Evolution....of self awareness/consciousness and sociality in our species....is what created religion. Ironic, huh? It's why existence of 'religion' is almost universal across human cultures (same species) yet there are a bizillion creation stories and associated beliefs/rituals (different tribes isolated across space/time creating and then maintaining a tribal identity). And boy do tribes like to be the dominant tribe. Discuss. 😉

Discuss ... that's a good idea, we need to stir the pot a little more. 😃

OTT4 was an interesting discussion that seemed to die out.
Then I believe it was 98 that mentioned the ONGOING discussion/Holy War on OTT3.
I migrated over there and sure enough, OTT3 had taken a life of its own.
I am pleased to see that this thread has now mutated (Covid term) to less "Holy War" and more philosophical/theological.

30 pages is doable!!!

I guess one cost is endless hypotheses about a world without religion being better in terms of less human suffering.

And I'm not sure what existential threats facing humanity today have religion as their cause.

The only existential threats as far as I can tell are global warming and nuclear war, with nuclear war by far the greatest and most immediate. However, in terms of human division and contributions to wars, religion is certainly a major contributor. Few things divide us like religion.

They key is the motive. The Pharisees' goals as revealed in those verses was to be seen by other men, specifically their own people, for their own glory and honor. Christians are commanded to do things publicly for the glory of God.

Matthew 5:14–16 - 14“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do men light a lamp, and put it under the peck-measure, but on the lampstand; and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. (NASB)

No lack of self awareness regarding our relatively short shelf life. The mind don't like that and seeks solutions. That's the primary self awareness I was referring to. I'm gonna run along again now. Peace out.
Oh, we do our best to forget about the short shelf life, imo. But that’s not really healthy in the long run, for individuals or civilizations.

Is this the right thread to talk about wrestling physiology or is that one of the other threads? We’ve got the Spencer Lees and others with immense strength that can burn out quicker than those with less strength that have the benefit of not burning out as quick. Where does a DeSanto fit into this equation? Pretty sure he has infinite endurance plus high strength. And his right hand triceps grab literally causes international wrestlers to wither and complain to the ref like it’s an illegal move.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Is this the right thread to talk about wrestling physiology or is that one of the other threads? We’ve got the Spencer Lees and others with immense strength that can burn out quicker than those with less strength that have the benefit of not burning out as quick. Where does a DeSanto fit into this equation? Pretty sure he has infinite endurance plus high strength. And his right hand triceps grab literally causes international wrestlers to wither and complain to the ref like it’s an illegal move.

Yeah, Desanto is off the chart with full-strength endurance.

Any of you christians buy the $60 bible being sold by the guy currently on criminal trial for having affairs while his wife was pregnant?

trump pope GIF

Reactions: jayridescarbon
Any of you christians buy the $60 bible being sold by the guy currently on criminal trial for having affairs while his wife was pregnant?

trump pope GIF
No, but I was hoping Joe would make a Bible so I could have one by a man who stole another man's wife.

There is no moral high ground in this election.

Then wouldn't it make more sense for christians to support neither? Yet they overwhelming support the walking antichrist.
For reasons I won't debate here, I think POTUS Joe's policy are far more antichrist, AINEC.

I vote for the lesser of two evils when it comes to policy choices. That's all.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
we do our best to forget about the short shelf life, imo. But that’s not really healthy in the long run, for individuals or civilizations
But if you practice Hinduism and believe in karmic reincarnation, there is no short shelf life. You may also believe you choose your family when leaving the atman. Taken together there should be no short-term focus or lamentation about one's current lot in life.

But if you practice Hinduism and believe in karmic reincarnation, there is no short shelf life. You may also believe you choose your family when leaving the atman. Taken together there should be no short-term focus or lamentation about one's current lot in life.
I’m talking about humans in general and Americans in specific. I believe humans, in general harbor subconscious fear of impending mortality..

Reactions: Trapper85
I believe humans, in general harbor subconscious fear of impending mortality.
Surely some do.

I think it is healthy to contemplate a good death while living a good life. Don't get me wrong, I am not talking obsess or generate anxiety over death (for self or loved ones).

But like lots of things people might otherwise fear or be anxious about, one can try to bury it in their subconscious (repress like a bad memory) or just meditate on it and the underlying reasons behind the feelings to deal with it.

I think that's one reason I bought and read "The Book of Dead Philosophers." All these jabronies touting different philosophies on the nature of man, life's purpose, how life works, etc. And they've all met the same demise (some of them quite ignominiously).

No point fearing a certainty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT