ADVERTISEMENT

Ouch. SB Nation article on just how bad Iowa's passing game is and has been.

Thanks for the link.

Ultimately the buck stops with the Captain. KF has only doubled down on dumb/dug in deeper to his approach the last two off seasons.

While the Passing game is really bad---the lack of a run game is equally the issue. The bootlegs and play action which are integral to the KF passing game are not effective when the Run game is bad and the QB immobile pocket passer. Bad Oline, Bad wide receivers, Immobile QB----below average talent at every position on offense with exception of TE All and maybe RB position.

Thanks for the link.

Ultimately the buck stops with the Captain. KF has only doubled down on dumb/dug in deeper to his approach the last two off seasons.

While the Passing game is really bad---the lack of a run game is equally the issue. The bootlegs and play action which are integral to the KF passing game are not effective when the Run game is bad and the QB immobile pocket passer. Bad Oline, Bad wide receivers, Immobile QB----below average talent at every position on offense with exception of TE All and maybe RB position.
All has had his share of drops as well, but it starts with the line (after the staff, of course).

KF thinks winning the B1G West is the end all, be all. He has no desire to change. He has reverted back to KF 1.0. Too bad. I kinda Iiked KF 3.0 and his demeanor of take the pig and leave the time outs. Change is inevitable so might as well go get the coaching staff at leagueless Oregon State.

You know, hate to say it, but I think Petras probably would have had a decent game on Saturday. Neither Hill nor McNamara have really had to run and have had plenty of time.

Reactions: Localyokol
I’ve said his system is basically trash for at least 15 years. Kirk’s system of offense sucks in the opinion of everyone but his most staunch defenders. It’s a national joke.
I 'm trying to defend KF but I understand the 50/50 split in passing and rushing yards which he is still trying to achieve. Everything starts up front and the Oline HAS been trash the last few years.

That said, 100 yds passing and 100 yds rushing isn't going to (typically) cut it.

Just like last year. 8-5 with an elite defense. WOO HOO!!!!!
That looks like a winning record to me. And won a bowl game.

And as a Steeler fan its fun to win each and every year under our coaches.
As a golfer likes to say, " no pictures on a scorecard".

And you've got the equivalent of Brian as your offensive coordinator. And the fact that you think the Steelers are actually going to win anything is ridiculous. The minute they play a team w/a pulse on offense like the Niners it's a blowout. They can win an ugly 17-10 game but how did it go at Arrowhead a few years ago w/Big Ben in the playoffs? You might consider 9-8 a winning season but you aren't winning in today's modern era w/out a legitimate QB.

Reactions: jbofan
all these woeful stats and nothing is going to change

“Iowa has the lowest completion percentage in college football at a meager 45.9%, nearly four points behind the second-lowest team (Pittsburgh with 49.6%) and a whopping 35.1 points lower than the nation’s leader in completion percentage (Oregon with 81%). The last time Iowa had a team-wide completion percentage this low came in 1978, Bob Commings’ final season at Iowa and a time before the development of sophisticated modern passing games. Iowa leads only Navy and Air Force (two service academy teams who run triple option offenses) in passing yards per game and ranks second-last in the nation in both yards per attempt and passer rating. The only teams worse at passing the ball than Iowa are teams TRYING to be bad at passing the ball by playing glorified running backs at quarterback.”

And you've got the equivalent of Brian as your offensive coordinator. And the fact that you think the Steelers are actually going to win anything is ridiculous. The minute they play a team w/a pulse on offense like the Niners it's a blowout. They can win an ugly 17-10 game but how did it go at Arrowhead a few years ago w/Big Ben in the playoffs? You might consider 9-8 a winning season but you aren't winning in today's modern era w/out a legitimate QB.
We shall see. At least its fun to have winning records every year. And no one else can say that other than Tomlin. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Maybe they can follow up with an article talking about how we're 50-19 over our last 69 games, 4-1 in our last 5 bowl games.

Reactions: pmtdc
Here is a stat for all the negative nellies.

5-1

All you negative posters remind me of all the whining fans in our state championship last year. Always making excuses and we just pointed to the scoreboards. HAHAAAA

From the sample sizes we have seen, I am perplexed as to how they aren’t rolling with Labas as their QB. It would not fix all the woes, but at least we would have a decent athlete back there that can move.
"Who, Joe Labas? Huh, yeah, Deacon is our guy. No offense to Joe". That is a coach that just laughed at his #2 QB.

So.....you prefer the Hawks leave wins on the table? That's an interesting point of view.

At least the Steelers have a few Super Bowl wins. What is Iowa’s equivalent of that? Getting smoked in the Rose Bowl?

Anyone can find a blemish with every team every year in any given stat.
Other offenses every year in any given stat
5acb90bffacba81a008b4594

Iowa offense every year in every meaningful stat
acne_noduloq02_fee391183f15cb4d62773032fe0be92d.jpg

I 'm trying to defend KF but I understand the 50/50 split in passing and rushing yards which he is still trying to achieve. Everything starts up front and the Oline HAS been trash the last few years.

That said, 100 yds passing and 100 yds rushing isn't going to (typically) cut it.
Even when national guys would say "the vaunted Iowa rushing attack", or something similar, I would look at stats and we would be 6th out of 12 teams. Often times worse than that. It's a myth that we are a great rushing team.

Reactions: your_master5
I’ve said his system is basically trash for at least 15 years. Kirk’s system of offense sucks in the opinion of everyone but his most staunch defenders. It’s a national joke.
Yeah, but… 5-1, baby!!!!!!!!!!!🤦🏻‍♂️

Sarcasm very much intended.

It's easy pickings.
You'd think that there wouldn't be much more to say at this point given that it's been going on for a few years now, but then Iowa decides to top themselves by further pushing the incompetence narrative with games like the last one with zero wr completions.
It's a mildly amusing distraction that they can use as filler between talking about the teams that are relevant in the big ten and college football overall.

It's easy pickings.
You'd think that there wouldn't be much more to say at this point given that it's been going on for a few years now, but then Iowa decides to top themselves by further pushing the incompetence narrative with games like the last one with zero wr completions.
It's a mildly amusing distraction that they can use as filler between talking about the teams that are relevant in the big ten and college football overall.
I keep saying it can't get any worse but yet, it somehow does. Kudos to KF and BarF. They definitely know how to out do themselves every week.

So.....you prefer the Hawks leave wins on the table? That's an interesting point of view.
Leave wins on the table? I never said that? Trying to find the negative, pessimist point of view?

Sure do. About the same time as the last time Steelers won a Super Bowl (Steelers fan here as well). Think either one will be getting back to that level soon?
I hope so, but not looking like it at the moment. A lot of work to do for both teams on offense. And both teams could use new offensive coordinators. But I will be watching both and cheering.

As a fan of both teams as well Rolling, it seems to always be the defense outperforms the offense that given year or vice versa. Rarely do you get an elite defense and offense on the same team in the same year. Even in Super Bowl wins or Orange bowl wins. It seems one unit is carrying the other. Do you see that too? Why do you think that is? Just a question I have thought about being a fan of these two teams.

I hope so, but not looking like it at the moment. A lot of work to do for both teams on offense. And both teams could use new offensive coordinators. But I will be watching both and cheering.

As a fan of both teams as well Rolling, it seems to always be the defense outperforms the offense that given year or vice versa. Rarely do you get an elite defense and offense on the same team in the same year. Even in Super Bowl wins or Orange bowl wins. It seems one unit is carrying the other. Do you see that too? Why do you think that is? Just a question I have thought about being a fan of these two teams.
One unit may very well carry the other but you can’t be basically dead last in any category and expect to do great things…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT