ADVERTISEMENT

Our future coach

lenoxhawks

Team MVP
Jul 15, 2015
Iowa's motto for the future...with a hope and a prayer.
Could you please make a list of the coaches Nebraska fan thought they were getting during the last three coaching searches? It seems like a few(all) were unrealistic.

Iowa's motto for the future...with a hope and a prayer.

Shock legend posting here again. I thought you and husker trolls only post in "all the husker threads"? Great zinger legend how long did it take you to come up with this lame attempt at humor.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Shock legend posting here again. I thought you and husker trolls only post in "all the husker threads"? Great zinger legend how long did it take you to come up with this lame attempt at humor.
Longer than it did to get a response.

I wish he would be our next coach but its not going to happen. His goal is to coach in the National Championship game, so we are not on his radar.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
A lot of people including me would love to have bb as our coach but I too wonder if he even in the slightest has any desire to coach iowa. It's probable someone has more info on this that I do.

Stole the show at the SEC media day. He will immediately put Iowa on top of the division and compete for conference championships. I kept my season tickets knowing that the dark days will not last much longer. Gary needs to do whatever it takes to get Bielema coaching in Iowa City in 2016.

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2015/7/16/8974587/sec-media-days-2015-bret-bielema-conquers-all
not defending ferentz at all here, but do realize for that an almost 20 year period in the 60s and 70s, Iowa did not have a single winning season. Those, were dark days. These past couple of seasons are frustrating to say the least, but lets keep things in perspective. :)

Sorry sober but the state of Hawkeye fb has been on the decline for more than a couple of years. The unwillingness that coach has to try to make any changes and the sever lack of recruiting is what has most fans at wits end. He has become complacent and seems to be just putting in his time. I also believe Norm Parker had a lot more to do with the success iowa had under kf than people know.

Reactions: Dbq_Hawk
We have a coach now but if we want to get into hypotheticals the ship has already sailed on bb. He wants to compete for a national title and can do this in a conference with much less academic restrictions and more access to players. He is in the process of surpassing what KF makes annually. He's not coming here for less than 4.5 to 5 million per season to start. That does not include some buyout money we would be on the hook for. It also does not include the increase in assistant coach pay that he will demand . All of this totals to a boat load of money with no true guarantee of a payoff. We think he will win at Iowa but what if he does not to the degree of our expectations for this investment? Then what?

The best approach is to stop acting so desperate by chasing after coaches where the window of opportunity has closed and instead look to zero in on the next up-and-comer. I would look at the guy at NDSU who might fit that criteria as one example. Young, hungry to prove one self on a bigger stage. Proven big time winner at where he has been at. The entry price would be low and we can move on quickly with much less pain if it does not work.

So, when Iowa won the Orange Bowl in 2009 were any of you guys happy? What did you think of Kirk?

We have a coach now but if we want to get into hypotheticals the ship has already sailed on bb. He wants to compete for a national title and can do this in a conference with much less academic restrictions and more access to players. He is in the process of surpassing what KF makes annually. He's not coming here for less than 4.5 to 5 million per season to start. That does not include some buyout money we would be on the hook for. It also does not include the increase in assistant coach pay that he will demand . All of this totals to a boat load of money with no true guarantee of a payoff. We think he will win at Iowa but what if he does not to the degree of our expectations for this investment? Then what?

The best approach is to stop acting so desperate by chasing after coaches where the window of opportunity has closed and instead look to zero in on the next up-and-comer. I would look at the guy at NDSU who might fit that criteria as one example. Young, hungry to prove one self on a bigger stage. Proven big time winner at where he has been at. The entry price would be low and we can move on quickly with much less pain if it does not work.

When will people realize Chris Klieman (the coach at NDST) has only been the coach since 2014?
Craig Bohl whom beat 10 FBS programs during his tenure is at Wyoming... My God people.

Reactions: king_james_23
When will people realize Chris Klieman (the coach at NDST) has only been the coach since 2014?
Craig Bohl whom beat 10 FBS programs during his tenure is at Wyoming... My God people.

Klieman has only been the head coach for one year but has been part of the staff (D Coord) with Bohl. It's not like he just showed up for the party last year. If you read through my post I also said 'one example' meaning it's important to look at other similar candidates. I do happen to think Klieman would be a good candidate to take a look at.

So, when Iowa won the Orange Bowl in 2009 were any of you guys happy? What did you think of Kirk?
I think Kirk was saved by blind luck and Norm Parker and parlayed that into a lifetime contract. He was not top tier than but unfortunately most couldn't see through the record. Norm carried Kirk as did the lucky bowl game draw.

Reactions: 73chief
Sorry sober but the state of Hawkeye fb has been on the decline for more than a couple of years. The unwillingness that coach has to try to make any changes and the sever lack of recruiting is what has most fans at wits end. He has become complacent and seems to be just putting in his time. I also believe Norm Parker had a lot more to do with the success iowa had under kf than people know.
not arguing that at all. we clearly havent been meeting expectations for the last few years. Just saying that it is a long way to go from "on the decline" to the "dark days."

I would like very much for KF to be able to go out on a relatively high note (bowl win/9 games, something like that) so we can look back on his legacy and remember him the same way we do Hayden, who brought Iowa out of the "dark days."

I've said before, its impossible to say what will happen after this year, until we a) know who the new UI president will be (sounds like it could happen by Homecoming, but when will he/she take office), b) will that new president get rid of barta, or c) will barta fire ferentz to appease the new president. Barta has a mixed bag as AD, and has the women's field hockey mess hanging over his head also.

I have great respect for what Ferentz has accomplished at Iowa, but he may be nearing/past his expiration date. I hope he can have a good season this year, but who knows, but his job future, imo, rests on much more than what happens on the field this fall.

Reactions: frydaze
Yep, think we all are appreciative of what kf has done while at iowa. 2 big ten titles, 3 straight top eight finishes and many other impressive wins while doing things the right way. I still think he will be regarded as one of the top coaches in Hawkeye history regardless of how the end of his career plays out.

Haydens career kinda fizzled towards the end also but his legend had already been made after bringing iowa football back from the dead.

I wish he would be our next coach but its not going to happen. His goal is to coach in the National Championship game, so we are not on his radar.

Lol. How? In the same division as Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M?

Good luck ever making the conference championship game.

Once the playoffs expand to 8, winning your conference championship will be an auto bid.

Let that sink in, and think about which place is an easier path.

Reactions: amr41

Or just suck it up and pay Brett.

Stole the show at the SEC media day. He will immediately put Iowa on top of the division and compete for conference championships. I kept my season tickets knowing that the dark days will not last much longer. Gary needs to do whatever it takes to get Bielema coaching in Iowa City in 2016.

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2015/7/16/8974587/sec-media-days-2015-bret-bielema-conquers-all

Bilema is the last guy I want coaching the Hawkeyes. He is nothing but trouble off the field. He wasn't even allowed to drive a car in Madison. It would be even worse in the fish bowl that is Iowa City.

Bilema is the last guy I want coaching the Hawkeyes. He is nothing but trouble off the field. He wasn't even allowed to drive a car in Madison. It would be even worse in the fish bowl that is Iowa City.
Please tell us about not being allowed to drive in Madison I am sure many others want to hear as well.

Please tell us about not being allowed to drive in Madison I am sure many others want to hear as well.

Rumors are just rumors but there was smoke coming out of Madison when he was there. I had not heard this driving one but the Wisky fans I was with for a non-Iowa game(Wisky friend invite) the season he resigned were talking about him being on the hot seat despite winning. I listened to talk amongst them that is was a known problem in town that he was partying with co-eds and doing other things. He was not liked at all by their fan base according to them. I remember chalking this talk up as hatred of him because of his Iowa roots. Then he resigned after winning the conference for Arkansas. Just rumors probably but the timing and circumstance were interesting.

The real point is if there are true character issues this should be known by those responsible for hiring. Barry is a phone call away to confirm or deny anything. This would be on top of what it would cost to get him.

I get people liking ol' Bret, but part of this is ironic. "KF is the most overpaid coach in the history of history!" immediately followed by, "We need to pay Bret even more!"

But, it makes sense. The contract is not, in fact, the issue. If KF were making $1, people wouldn't be happy, just be clamoring to find a coach they could pay much more.

Klieman has only been the head coach for one year but has been part of the staff (D Coord) with Bohl. It's not like he just showed up for the party last year. If you read through my post I also said 'one example' meaning it's important to look at other similar candidates. I do happen to think Klieman would be a good candidate to take a look at.

Then you should say, we should watch the Wyoming coach... We are not hiring a guy that has one year of head coaching experience, FCS school at that, with the previous coaches recruits. That makes no sense.

Reactions: millhawk
Rumors are just rumors but there was smoke coming out of Madison when he was there. I had not heard this driving one but the Wisky fans I was with for a non-Iowa game(Wisky friend invite) the season he resigned were talking about him being on the hot seat despite winning. I listened to talk amongst them that is was a known problem in town that he was partying with co-eds and doing other things. He was not liked at all by their fan base according to them. I remember chalking this talk up as hatred of him because of his Iowa roots. Then he resigned after winning the conference for Arkansas. Just rumors probably but the timing and circumstance were interesting.

The real point is if there are true character issues this should be known by those responsible for hiring. Barry is a phone call away to confirm or deny anything. This would be on top of what it would cost to get him.

He wasnt even close to the hot seat. Badger fans didnt hate him until he kicked them to the curb. In his early years in Madison he was a single bachelor in his 30s, sure he partied. Its not like he was down at Wandos and State Street Brats every weekend. If he went to a bar it was Tony Franks, dive bar nowhere near campus. Also Barry Alvarez was far from a choir boy his early years in Madison. Wisconsin fans would have the same hate and reasons for not liking him if Barry kicked them to the curb as well.

You got some seriously bad information--actually, some seriously laughable info. Either you were having a joke played on you or whoever gave you the info. had a joke played on them.

I just spoke to a major booster at a wedding over the weekend in Wisconsin and we discussed Bielema and there were some that still held animosity towards him because of his Iowa roots, but more so because he left abruptly. Nobody denied though he was a damn good football coach who WON A LOT! The powers to be at UW, primarily Barry Alvarez and the biggest of the Badger boosters, did NOT want Bielema to leave.

You got some seriously bad information--actually, some seriously laughable info. Either you were having a joke played on you or whoever gave you the info. had a joke played on them.

I just spoke to a major booster at a wedding over the weekend in Wisconsin and we discussed Bielema and there were some that still held animosity towards him because of his Iowa roots, but more so because he left abruptly. Nobody denied though he was a damn good football coach who WON A LOT! The powers to be at UW, primarily Barry Alvarez and the biggest of the Badger boosters, did NOT want Bielema to leave.

It was the prevailing discussion that Saturday at a large Wisky tailgate from their fans not me. They never said he did not win or was not a good coach nor did my post. The discussion was about off the field runors which I stated were runors but what I had heard from this group. As I stated I wondered if it had more to do with his Iowa roots. As we know fans and boosters can feel differently about a coach as well.

It was the prevailing discussion that Saturday at a large Wisky tailgate from their fans not me. They never said he did not win or was not a good coach nor did my post. The discussion was about off the field runors which I stated were runors but what I had heard from this group. As I stated I wondered if it had more to do with his Iowa roots. As we know fans and boosters can feel differently about a coach as well.
m key not working?

Then you should say, we should watch the Wyoming coach... We are not hiring a guy that has one year of head coaching experience, FCS school at that, with the previous coaches recruits. That makes no sense.

I never said anything about taking a look at the Wyoming coach who is Bohl not Klieman. Please show me where I posted that.

I stated a hypothetical candidate to look at but did not say must hire. I do think Klieman is worth a look. The point was indentifying target candidates that fit a certain profile for a hypothetical opening. An opening we do not have.

Let's hope Barry A. gets a very serious call from whoever our athletic director is at the time of the next hire. Indeed, I wish Barry would be the one making the hire!

I never said anything about taking a look at the Wyoming coach who is Bohl not Klieman. Please show me where I posted that.

I stated a hypothetical candidate to look at but did not say must hire. I do think Klieman is worth a look. The point was indentifying target candidates that fit a certain profile for a hypothetical opening. An opening we do not have.

If a B1G school like the University of Iowa, with MANY selling points, ends up hiring a football coach from a sub DI school (even though North Dakota ST. has been good at that level) who is ready to start only his second year as a head coach and hasn't even proven yet he can win with only his own players yet, then Barta needs to be shown the door.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT