ADVERTISEMENT

Our Offensive Strategy Against Michigan

Steamboat529529

HR All-American
May 27, 2021
I was trying to wrap my head around how bad an offensive gameplan Brian came up with against Michigan and it finally dawned on me the comparison.

It’s like being on the opposing team’s 43 yard line, down two points with one second left in the fourth quarter.

You are facing a sixty yard field goal to win the game and you know your kicker doesn’t have the leg for more than a 50 yarder.

You absolutely know that sending the kicking team out there will result in losing the game but at least you won’t look stupid.

The only chance at a victory is to send out the offense and try something, literally anything: a hook and ladder, Hail Mary, a play designed just begging the refs to throw a flag and move into field goal range.

But Brian (and Kirk) just sent out the kicker. A fitting ending.

Any plays that required some time were off the boards. Impossible. Pass rush was going to dictate under routes, but of course Michigan knew that as well.

All we could hope for was a back breaking one, which was going to be a long shot at best.

Some razzle dazzle (whatever that means in the Iowa scheme of things) would at least have been interesting, would have at least suggested we were trying.

I’m in the minority here, but I think the only path to victory on Saturday night involved Deacon doing less. I understand the thought of, “We got nothing to lose so pull out all the stops!” But he absolutely cannot be trusted to make plays against a top-flight defense. He is, and has been all season, a turnover waiting to happen.

I don’t think the gameplan hurt us. What’s the score at the end of the third quarter if the following plays go differently:

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble
- The ridiculous “fumble” call
- Jackson makes the INT

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?

Last edited:
To add onto my earlier post: in addition to not trusting Deacon, who would trust Brian to come up with some sort of pass-centric attack that would be effective?? Stanley, Hock, Fant, ISM, Smith….those guys are long gone and without them, BF has been an utter disaster.

Turtleball is the best way to preserve the defense and make sure they’re not on the field for 90 plays.

I’m in the minority here, but I think the only path to victory on Saturday night involved Deacon doing less. I understand the thought of, “We got nothing to lose so pull out all the stops!” But he absolutely cannot be trusted to make plays against a top-flight defense. He is, and has been all season, a turnover waiting to happen.

I don’t think the gameplan hurt us. What’s the score at the end of the third quarter if the following plays go differently:

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?
I do agree to a certain extent. Our best chance at scoring was one of the Kaleb’s getting into space and breaking one. Just wish we would have tried that somehow.

There was a strategy?
exactly... seems like they treated that game just like any other... hold on for dear life and pray. Such a miserable way to view the game... and i know the defense played lights out, but i was incensed at the cushions we were giving on the far side of the field when it was 3rd n whatever. I know Phil is a smarter than me, but i can't imagine that if its 3rd and 7... the plan is to have the db drop back 5 yards when he is already giving an 8 yard cushion. so maddening

Reactions: amahawk
I do agree to a certain extent. Our best chance at scoring was one of the Kaleb’s getting into space and breaking one. Just wish we would have tried that somehow.
Completely agree.

I posted it in another thread, but I wanted to see ONE TIME this year, something similar to what Sark does at Texas; max protect, two receivers, and tell Deac to just bomb it. One time. Just once.

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?
You're right. Even the guys at BTN were saying, you go for broke and end up with multiple turnovers. Score ends up worse than it was.

• Sad
Reactions: Greenway4Prez

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?
Hill cannot be trusted period. 😎

Love his rosy attitude, but just not a good BT QB….🙁

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble
- Jackson makes the INT

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?
At no point was the run committed to. Very frustrating

• Angry
Hill cannot be trusted period. 😎

Love his rosy attitude, but just not a good BT QB….🙁
He may be the worst qb I've ever seen in college fb. Just for perspective, I saw Iowa play UCLA in the Rose Bowl.
We don't need Santa Claus and ho ho ho, we need a qb.
In retrospect, we could use some Ho ho ho. Lol
hot babes GIF

I was trying to wrap my head around how bad an offensive gameplan Brian came up with against Michigan and it finally dawned on me the comparison.

It’s like being on the opposing team’s 43 yard line, down two points with one second left in the fourth quarter.

You are facing a sixty yard field goal to win the game and you know your kicker doesn’t have the leg for more than a 50 yarder.

You absolutely know that sending the kicking team out there will result in losing the game but at least you won’t look stupid.

The only chance at a victory is to send out the offense and try something, literally anything: a hook and ladder, Hail Mary, a play designed just begging the refs to throw a flag and move into field goal range.

But Brian (and Kirk) just sent out the kicker. A fitting ending.
“Our offensive strategy“ ? When did Nebraska play Michigan, troll ?

Calling 36 pass plays and only 20 rushes with the worst QB in college football against the best pass defense in college football, with a ton of those from an empty backfield set, when we have 3 Big Ten caliber RB’s and an OL that has run blocked better than pass blocked, was probably the worst called game in BF’s long, sorry history as Iowa’s OC.

You're right. Even the guys at BTN were saying, you go for broke and end up with multiple turnovers. Score ends up worse than it was.
At a certain point, what is there to lose? Low risk/low reward makes sense in most games, but in this match-up it would've been nice to see anything different

Reactions: HawkinMN
Yeah it was maddening. I like to be glass half full but for a couple years now if we go down on the scoreboard at any point I really struggle to see where we find a W. But we've won a lot of games in 3 years which is a true testament to PP & LW.

You guys aren't going to believe me but I think you had it right strategically. Maryland gave the blueprint of how to move the ball on Michigan. It's the shortish-intermediate passing game with just enough run to keep the D honest. With how many we rotate upfront its pretty much impossible to wear them down. However, you keep hitting 5-10 yard passes you can put enough together to methodically move down field.

LB is really the one unit on D were we don't have the depth. We have the two starters and one guy who backs them both up (our 4th, and only other ready, guy was out last night). Make our LBs run around all night. In addition, if you get them thinking pass 1st (and moving backwards) it gives you the ability to maybe pop a couple 10-20 yard runs if you can properly block our line.

So why didn't it work? Well you know the obvious...you need an accurate QB with a quick release to do it and you didn't have your top two TEs. The other part is that it seemed you were tipping off your plays...no disguise to it...I knew when you were going to run or pass and trust me...I was not stealing your signs from my couch in NYC...

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble
- Jackson makes the INT

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?
And this has been the issue with Iowa's strategy the last few years. They have been trying to win with it and thanks to being in the Big 10 West this year, were largely successful at it. However, the margins for victory are way too slim. Everything needs to go perfectly for it to be successful, including the officiating which you can't control. It's just not realistic for it to work and it will not work against a top 10 team. The thing is, given the lack of change it seems like this is actually what they were going for.

Any plays that required some time were off the boards. Impossible. Pass rush was going to dictate under routes, but of course Michigan knew that as well.

All we could hope for was a back breaking one, which was going to be a long shot at best.

Some razzle dazzle (whatever that means in the Iowa scheme of things) would at least have been interesting, would have at least suggested we were trying.
And yet they ran roll outs like Deacon was the next coming of Mahomes. Whoever thought of that as a "good" game plan should have been left in Indy.

How can you commit to the run when you are facing 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 9 every damn series? Yeah, hope one of the RB's gets a breakout when 9 of the 11 defenders are in the box, but that is a rare occurrence. SO what happens? You have to pass which is something Hill does not do very well, and when he does it well, he gets a drop.

Honestly, BF was trying to get the ball to KB out of the gates but as usual there were missed blocks and such. IT snowballed from there.

This is what we get with KF. And it's what the whole "Yeah but 10 wins!" crowd are happy with. A program that has a formula for beating crappy teams by 7 points or less, scoring 20 points or less, but that has ZERO chance of beating quality teams in meaningful games. That B1G title game was depressing from the opening kick because everyone knew we had no chance at moving the ball, scoring points, and winning the game. Zero.

100 %! Just like the 2015 title game from CJ. Max protect 1 or 2 WR and just throw it 60 yards and what's the worst? PI? Def holding? Pushing their CBs and Safetys back a few yards so we can run the ball better?
Completely agree.

I posted it in another thread, but I wanted to see ONE TIME this year, something similar to what Sark does at Texas; max protect, two receivers, and tell Deac to just bomb it. One time. Just once.

Iowa did not even attempt a pass over 20 Yards against single man press coverage to the wide side of the field almost every play. Brian wasn't smart enough to go to max protection and just let Brown even have a chance 1 on 1 or try for a pass interference, gutless coward play calling

It's a game where there was nothing to lose. They could have tried a few trick plays to catch michigan off guard or came out with a different look. Instead we trot out the worst offense in the nation, trying the same plays, no changes. It's insanity.

- The punt return
- Jaz’s fumble
- Jackson makes the INT

6-3? 9-0? 6-6?
That sums it up for Iowa, all year. They had to thread the needle almost every game to win. Against Michigan, an even smaller needle. The fact that they won 10 (11*) games playing like that all year is quite remarkable. Point being, they shouldn't have to do that every game.

Look I played football from age 5 thru HS. I don't claim to be an expert at this game but I'd really love to sit w/ Brian while he watches film and develops a gameplan.

The facts are
-The formations invite bodies into the box that stop our run game.
-Obvious tendencies based off shotgun or under center.
-The fact that the biggest WR recruit (Brown) in Iowa history took 3 quarters of the season to get playing time. By game 1 you make sure a talent like that can at least get 15-20 snaps
-And to a lesser extent but still not a huge deal the whole non iowa clothing was just him being a baby.

I feel simple tweaks to this offense even with Deacon may be good for just one extra TD a game which with our D is huge.

Does he ever self scout? Is he just that arrogant? Does he just know with PP on the other side he can get away with bare minimum? It is so frustrating and baffling to me. The highest listened to Iowa related podcast in history would be a 1-2 hour sitdown with him and Doc or Leistikow. Unfortunately that'd never happen.

Look I played football from age 5 thru HS. I don't claim to be an expert at this game but I'd really love to sit w/ Brian while he watches film and develops a gameplan.

The facts are
-The formations invite bodies into the box that stop our run game.
-Obvious tendencies based off shotgun or under center.
-The fact that the biggest WR recruit (Brown) in Iowa history took 3 quarters of the season to get playing time. By game 1 you make sure a talent like that can at least get 15-20 snaps
-And to a lesser extent but still not a huge deal the whole non iowa clothing was just him being a baby.

I feel simple tweaks to this offense even with Deacon may be good for just one extra TD a game which with our D is huge.

Does he ever self scout? Is he just that arrogant? Does he just know with PP on the other side he can get away with bare minimum? It is so frustrating and baffling to me. The highest listened to Iowa related podcast in history would be a 1-2 hour sitdown with him and Doc or Leistikow. Unfortunately that'd never happen.
I'm certain that BF thinks he is Bill Walsh and has absolutely no idea why he is being relieved of his duties.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT