ADVERTISEMENT

Outrage after Baltimore reveals zero students proficient in math across 23 schools: ‘FAILURE'

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Baltimore public school system recieved a failing grade after the city reported that zero students in 23 different schools across the city are proficient in math.

Ninety-three percent of third through eighth graders also tested below grade level in math.

The Baltimore public school system boasted a $1.6 billion budget in 2022, according to Fox Baltimore. When divided by the number of budgeted students, the average cost came out to $21,606 per student.

Professors and political commentators expressed shock at the news and called for more freedom to allow parents to find better schools for their children.

George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley argued on Twitter that teachers are treating students less like human beings and more like captive listeners. "Teachers and boards are killing the institution of public education by treating children and parents more like captives than consumers. That cannot continue much longer before parents look for alternatives."

"This is a scandal," former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tweeted.

Republican Senator Tim Scott slammed the government in Baltimore for leaving students behind and hurting the future of children. "Failed leadership in our schools diminishes their opportunity for a brighter future."

Scott also endorsed school choice, a policy that allows money normally allotted for public schools to follow students and help them go the school of their choice. "School choice expands students' access to a quality education, the key to America's promise." 93% of kids in Baltimore city schools could not do math at grade level. Failed leadership in our schools diminishes their opportunity for a brighter future. School choice expands students' access to a quality education, the key to America's promise.

Johns Hopkins economics Professor Steve Hanke summed up the failure of Baltimore schools in just eight words. "PUBLIC SCHOOL FAILURE = UNPREPARED STUDENTS = A DISMAL FUTURE."

Not 1 student was proficient in math, not 1.

What's their inclusivity score? These critics are concerned with the wrong metrics!

I mean, there's calculators and Microsoft Excel for math...

Reactions: abby97
This is working as designed. There's going to be kids whether due to poor or no parenting, bad influences, hunger, or lead poising as is the case in Baltimore, that serve as a distraction. Baltimore City pools them in a handful of schools, hence the low test scores in those schools.

If they took these kids and ruined the learning experience for all across the city, the same crowd would be throwing a fit and crying again for school choice.

Who you crappin'?

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ ...ntendent-will-not-seek-second-term/ [/QUOTE]
Learn to Google
You do realize the Superintendent of the Baltimore School District is still employed and in charge of a failing school district. You jumped the shark by throwing out some story about the State Superintendent of Education not wanting to seek a second term.

At the end of the day the person most responsible for not educating the students remains in charge and the taxpayers are paying him $310,000+ a year to not educate children properly.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
You do realize the Superintendent of the Baltimore School District is still employed and in charge of a failing school district. You jumped the shark by throwing out some story about the State Superintendent of Education not wanting to seek a second term.

At the end of the day the person most responsible for not educating the students remains in charge and the taxpayers are paying him $310,000+ a year to not educate children properly.
My original post said superintendent for state of Maryland. Maybe you need to go back to school.

The superintendent of schools for the state of Maryland has zero to do with Baltimore Maryland schools? It wouldn't have made sense to interview him?
I'm sure he is aware of the situation thus he is bailing out, however why is the current Baltimore Public Schools Superintendent still employed at over $310,000.00 per year plus benefits?

Baltimore is a complete mess and the people who reside there deserve it greatly.

Why are you recycling a story from February?

Which of your social feeds wants you to be outraged today?

Maybe RicoSuave is NC’s version of Pepsi? He’s grown tired of reiterating his tired game account after account and is now reimagining but using other poster’s schtick?

Yeah, I’m going with that.

Reactions: TheCainer
I'm sure he is aware of the situation thus he is bailing out, however why is the current Baltimore Public Schools Superintendent still employed at over $310,000.00 per year plus benefits?

Baltimore is a complete mess and the people who reside there deserve it greatly.
You're all over the place. All I said was I wish fox news interviewed someone involved vs Mike Pompeo. But I guess when you just want to be angry reason goes out the door.

You're all over the place. All I said was I wish fox news interviewed someone involved vs Mike Pompeo. But I guess when you just want to be angry reason goes out the door.

It’s the latest lame NC incarnation. He’s literally (proper usage of the word) all over the place all the time on HORT.

Reactions: McLovin32
Sad a Baltimore thread has gone this far without any mention of its favorite son.
The Wire Omar GIF

There are a lot of reasons for stuff like this but I blame basing a school's success heavily on the age that students are when they graduate as the biggest factor here. When "on track for graduation" and 4 year graduation rates are a heavy factor (50% of the score in many states) in a schools scores, schools start looking for ways to get kids through classes with very little regard to whether they are actually learning anything or not. We get all sorts of "credit recovery" or "Introduction to beginning concepts in basic algebra" class that end up being filled with a bunch of juniors who haven't been able to get through Algebra 1 yet and basically get to take all tests with notes available. Yes, I know that is a common accommodation but the entire point of a test is to see what a student knows and that student needs to spend time actually trying to remember information. The second you allow them to use notes there is no effort on most student's part to put the material in long term memory and they may do well enough to pass a test but if you ask them a question from the test a week later most of those students are likely to not even understand the question you asked. Ultimately, schools get kids the credits they need to graduate and let them move on.

I also don't think an end of subject post test is the best situation, I just think making classes rigorous and not punishing teachers if kids fail their class as long as the teacher is doing everything in their power to provide an opportunity for the student is the best path. Not all kids are ready to graduate at 18, at least not with the material we want them to know. Giving them an extra year to develop mentally can do wonders for their success rate after high school. That extra year of maturity can mean the difference between being able to hold down a job or ending up in jail.

Baltimore public school system recieved a failing grade after the city reported that zero students in 23 different schools across the city are proficient in math.

Ninety-three percent of third through eighth graders also tested below grade level in math.

The Baltimore public school system boasted a $1.6 billion budget in 2022, according to Fox Baltimore. When divided by the number of budgeted students, the average cost came out to $21,606 per student.

Professors and political commentators expressed shock at the news and called for more freedom to allow parents to find better schools for their children.

George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley argued on Twitter that teachers are treating students less like human beings and more like captive listeners. "Teachers and boards are killing the institution of public education by treating children and parents more like captives than consumers. That cannot continue much longer before parents look for alternatives."

"This is a scandal," former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tweeted.

Republican Senator Tim Scott slammed the government in Baltimore for leaving students behind and hurting the future of children. "Failed leadership in our schools diminishes their opportunity for a brighter future."

Scott also endorsed school choice, a policy that allows money normally allotted for public schools to follow students and help them go the school of their choice. "School choice expands students' access to a quality education, the key to America's promise." 93% of kids in Baltimore city schools could not do math at grade level. Failed leadership in our schools diminishes their opportunity for a brighter future. School choice expands students' access to a quality education, the key to America's promise.

Johns Hopkins economics Professor Steve Hanke summed up the failure of Baltimore schools in just eight words. "PUBLIC SCHOOL FAILURE = UNPREPARED STUDENTS = A DISMAL FUTURE."

Not 1 student was proficient in math, not 1.
Sorry. It is not the school that is failing these students. It is the parents who failed these students. Parents don’t need to find better schools. They need to hold their child accountable and get involved with their child’s education. It is the parents who have failed to engage their child on the importance of school. This is a parent problem and the political spectrum is too chicken shit to call it what it is.

You guys are really overthinking this. These kids are only showing up for school at lunch because it's the only meal they'll eat that day. The classroom is secondary, and it's not limited to Baltimore. It's just an easy target for the right because it's predominantly black and democrat.

• Haha
Sorry. It is not the school that is failing these students. It is the parents who failed these students. Parents don’t need to find better schools. They need to hold their child accountable and get involved with their child’s education. It is the parents who have failed to engage their child on the importance of school. This is a parent problem and the political spectrum is too chicken shit to call it what it is.
How did you want these Baltimore parents to help their kids learn algebra?
Tell them to do the homework they both can’t understand?

How did you want these Baltimore parents to help their kids learn algebra?
Tell them to do the homework they both can’t understand?
You think these kids are just solid students that have bad math teachers? You think these kids have great attendance and care about their schooling? You think these kids have not had issues throughout their student years? No, I don’t expect the parents to be able to help with Algebra, but if you think this is an issue that is directly related to the incompetence of the math teachers, you are completely off-base.

The teachers are an easy scape-goat. Nobody wants to dig deeper into the situation to call out the parents or lack of parents. That wouldn’t be a political score. I imagine teaching in these schools is as difficult as some students trying to learn with the complete and utter chaos that probably surrounds their classroom and daily lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
You think these kids are just solid students that have bad math teachers? You think these kids have great attendance and care about their schooling? You think these kids have not had issues throughout their student years?

The teachers are an easy scape-goat. Nobody wants to dig deeper into the situation to call out the parents or lack of parents.
No, they are poor students, with poor attendance, and poor teachers.
We know many of these kids have terrible home lives. School can't fix that. But, they can be an oasis where these kids can get out of those environments and be taught the skills they need to escape that life.
But, it's a lot harder when teachers just want to shirk their responsibility and blame the parents for poor classroom performance.

• Haha
Need before/after/ likely 24/7 after school programs where kids can go get fed, bathed, laundry, and help with their homework.

Parents are worthless to a growing percentage of kids.

I would also pay women $20k tax free to get their tubes tied and $20k for men to get a vasectomy.

Baltimore's magic number is three to take the division and get homefield advantage and they're three wins away from their first 100 win season in over 40 years.

So there's that. :)

Reactions: bhawk24bob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT