ADVERTISEMENT

Outside of your 9-5, what additional ways do you bring in income?

Talk to me a little bit about CDs if you would.

I had this idea, and I think CDs might be the best vehicle.

You put 100 bucks in a 12 month cd, next month do the same, ect. So after your first year you are rolling over a cd every month. I know returns wouldn't be great but let's say 100 turns into 105 bucks after a year. Can you buy a 105 dollar cd at that time so you could basically roll it while compounding your interest but at any given moment be 30 days( max) from drawing post tax money out?
This is interesting. I don’t want to do math right now, but what are you looking at after a year or two?

Can you cash out CDs whenever? Are they taxed? (I know nothing about CDs)

Wife sells clothes and shoes on Poshmark. I travel around the midwest and between appointments I'll stop into Goodwill and see if there is anything good. We were pulling in $2K a month like 5 years ago. Then Goodwill got smart and started auctioning everything on their website.
Wife also does a MLM line of cosmetics.

Shopgoodwill.com really took the fun out of it.

Once again Torbee thinking he’s so funny and clever. When all he’s been doing all day is jerking off to Aaron Rupar article and waiting for little flick to get home from his left wing protest.
And triggering you. So he's doing some good. 🫡

Reactions: runkpanole
I wanted to get some extra cash, and tried DoorDash - I made like 200 bucks one weekend and then needed brakes done. So, that didn’t work out.

Principal during the day. Love my side gigs, cover high school sports, mainly football, for the local newspaper and do PA work for two small colleges.

When I lived near Chicago I made extra cash digging trenches in this guy's crawl space. I thought it was weird but he said he had drainage problems. Weird guy. He always wanted to show me a magic trick with handcuffs but I always respectfully declined.
Haven't heard from him in years.

This is interesting. I don’t want to do math right now, but what are you looking at after a year or two?

Can you cash out CDs whenever? Are they taxed? (I know nothing about CDs)

Return varies based on the interest rate,.. At term they can be cashed out or rolled over at the new rate,.. If you cash out early there is typically a penalty,.. Earnings are taxed like any other interest bearing account...

Reactions: TailgateTom
I am purely investments. CDs bond and stocks. CDs and bonds are my steady slow growth. My average is a little over 4% per a year. Got a decent chunk there. I have grown my self directed IRA and cash investments immensely. Looking at a substantial tax bill this year or next. As to side gigs. I’ve always wanted to buy sell legos but just don’t think worth the time or effort.

Return varies based on the interest rate,.. At term they can be cashed out or rolled over at the new rate,.. If you cash out early there is typically a penalty,.. Earnings are taxed like any other interest bearing account...
So I mentioned high interest savings accounts earlier as a better alternative to CDs. I would also look at i bonds through treasury direct. That's probably the best option for the first $10,000 in a situation like this. With other family members you can actually increase that annual limit.

So once you purchase a CD, you have to purchase another one, correct? You can pour money into a previously purchased CD?

The theory presented (from what I gather) is purchasing a CD every month?

Legal expert opinions.

Not a huge income as they arent super frequent but good pay for the time it takes me. I ask 200/hour for review and written opinion and 300/hr for trial and depositions. Probably make 2-3k each one I do.

I've done probably 12-15 total in my career.

So once you purchase a CD, you have to purchase another one, correct? You can pour money into a previously purchased CD?

The theory presented (from what I gather) is purchasing a CD every month?

No,.. You invest in a CD with specific term. When the term is up you get paid out. If you want to purchase another CD, you can do that. You can have multiple CD's simultaneously, in varing states of term... Juggle them any way you wish.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Regular. I'd be interested in sp for right 🦌
Most EHT store picks are a few bucks more than a plain SiB, unless it's the stupid EHT "Flood Surviving" gimmick pick going for $1,400+. The last regular SiB I sold was $190 after shipping a few weeks ago.

I'm also happy to help folks who I know will be drinking them instead of flipping bottles, which is admittedly hypocritical considering I've been doing this for over a decade. Where are you located?

Most EHT store picks are a few bucks more than a plain SiB, unless it's the stupid EHT "Flood Surviving" gimmick pick going for $1,400+. The last regular SiB I sold was $190 after shipping a few weeks ago.

I'm also happy to help folks who I know will be drinking them instead of flipping bottles, which is admittedly hypocritical considering I've been doing this for over a decade. Where are you located?
DSM. Secondary has certainly cooled a bit too. My brother gave me a pony to trade, but I told him I'd need 2 to get him a sib.

Oh, burn! God, you are really bad at this. My children have better burns than your illiterate ass.
Your children are embarrassed by you. They would rather spend time with a random stranger than their own father. When people ask who their father is they say their father is dead because they don’t want to be associated with someone who can’t use a toilet.

Your children are embarrassed by you. They would rather spend time with a random stranger than their own father. When people ask who their father is they say their father is dead because they don’t want to be associated with someone who can’t use a toilet.
Oh, another one! 😂

DSM. Secondary has certainly cooled a bit too. My brother gave me a pony to trade, but I told him I'd need 2 to get him a sib.
Blanton's is another one that it's wild what people will pay for it. Liquor stores putting it on the shelf for $150 and selling out in under an hour. I know someone who paid $200 a bottle for it in Prairie du Chien and took the whole case because his dad wanted it that bad and couldn't find it in Omaha. I told him I'm happy to rip his dad off any day of the week if that's the case.

Blanton's is another one that it's wild what people will pay for it. Liquor stores putting it on the shelf for $150 and selling out in under an hour. I know someone who paid $200 a bottle for it in Prairie du Chien and took the whole case because his dad wanted it that bad and couldn't find it in Omaha. I told him I'm happy to rip his dad off any day of the week if that's the case.
Yikes. That's insanity. It's not worth more than $75 to me personally. Lots better options out there.

Reactions: LunchBox50
I think high Interest savings accts would be a better use than a CD as you can hold more money in them and can withdraw as needed. The S&P 500 has been a conistent money maker over history, also,
After reading above I'm going to look into EfTs, I've got money in the market but want to build something else for diversity. Basically the idea would be a ever so slightly less liquid savings account with better interest.

After reading above I'm going to look into EfTs, I've got money in the market but want to build something else for diversity. Basically the idea would be a ever so slightly less liquid savings account with better interest.
For that case it is NOT ETFs that you want. It is the i bonds or the high interest savings account. Those will have virtually zero risk and still get income. The ETF will absolutely have risk, but it should give you better performance over a long period of time. If you will need to rely on the ability to use this money for emergencies or for timed purchases then the ETF may be done when you need it and you will be in a bad spot.

For that case it is NOT ETFs that you want. It is the i bonds or the high interest savings account. Those will have virtually zero risk and still get income. The ETF will absolutely have risk, but it should give you better performance over a long period of time. If you will need to rely on the ability to use this money for emergencies or for timed purchases then the ETF may be done when you need it and you will be in a bad spot.
A high value savings account is a good description of what I'm after, even if it means I'm 30 days from having my money. So I'm back to IBonds.

Thank you for the input

just a suggestion, if you are not going through a broker and are doing it on your own, Vanguard funds are a good option. Funds such as VOO, which tracks the S&P 500, is a good fund. The Vanguard Growth Index Fund, VIGAX, has also been a very good fund. I am in several Vanguard Funds on top of many other investments.

A high value savings account is a good description of what I'm after, even if it means I'm 30 days from having my money. So I'm back to IBonds.

Thank you for the input
personally, I really like Energy Transfer, also (ET) and have been in it for the last 3.5 years. Pays a solid dividend just under 9% and has good growth prospects.

Investments are an interesting subject for me so I am glad you brought it up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT