ADVERTISEMENT

Outside of your 9-5, what additional ways do you bring in income?

Mar 11, 2020
So I've shared a little on here that I'm currently working 4 jobs in an effort to purchase a small businesses by 2027. I've also always had the "the average millionaire has 7 streams of income" in the back of my head. Outside of traditional, I work for a wage, type income, what are other ways you have found to bring income in? I imagine there are landowners and home renters here but know little about it other than my father owns a few rental houses in the dirty D. Anyone have good passive income types?

Real estate, stocks, bonds & CD's...
Talk to me a little bit about CDs if you would.

I had this idea, and I think CDs might be the best vehicle.

You put 100 bucks in a 12 month cd, next month do the same, ect. So after your first year you are rolling over a cd every month. I know returns wouldn't be great but let's say 100 turns into 105 bucks after a year. Can you buy a 105 dollar cd at that time so you could basically roll it while compounding your interest but at any given moment be 30 days( max) from drawing post tax money out?

So I've shared a little on here that I'm currently working 4 jobs in an effort to purchase a small businesses by 2027. I've also always had the "the average millionaire has 7 streams of income" in the back of my head. Outside of traditional, I work for a wage, type income, what are other ways you have found to bring income in? I imagine there are landowners and home renters here but know little about it other than my father owns a few rental houses in the dirty D. Anyone have good passive income types?
Youre working your life away, dude.

Youre kid is just going to remember how dad was never home because he is working 4 jobs

EDIT TO ADD:
My dad, now that he is retired but has issues with his back that severly impact his life always says “i wish i took time to do more things when i was your age” instead of feeling that i needed to work all the time.

St. Louis Hawk, male prostitute
83fez.gif

Youre kid is just going to remember how dad was never home because he is working 4 jobs

EDIT TO ADD:
My dad, now that he is retired but has issues with his back that severly impact his life always says “i wish i took time to do more things when i was your age” instead of feeling that i needed to work all the time.
I’m absolutely guilty of this. I’m betting on a long retirement. I understand that bet might not pay off. No kids though.

I've actually profited pretty decent the last 6 months gambling. Probably not sustainable, but my new system has been working well.

My new job is 8-14 hr days 6 days a week, so not a lot of time for a side hustle.

EDIT TO ADD:
I hear you, which is why I've focused in ways to make income that bring me joy, such as ref'ing soccer, or working at concerts, after my kid is asleep. I wish I could give you the full depth of it but I'm not going to on this site. The likelihood of someone coming from where I came from, making the money I make, legally, is very very small, so while I can I'm going to.

I hear you, which is why I've focused in ways to make income that bring me joy, such as ref'ing soccer, or working at concerts, after my kid is asleep. I wish I could give you the full depth of it but I'm not going to on this site. The likelihood of someone coming from where I came from, making the money I make, legally, is very very small, so while I can I'm going to.
So u sell weed at concerts and to soccer moms.

EDIT TO ADD:
Someone has to work to make up for your uselessness. When people don’t work that’s when society crumbles. What do you need more time for? Jerking off to Bernie Sanders and Che Guevara. That’s not being productive.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Most of us on the left get steady work as crisis actors, deep state provocateurs, protest bodies, on call/subs for antifa missions, that sort of thing. Soros has always paid well and has been timely. It's flexible, can do weekends only if that's your availability.
That’s not your side hustle that’s your main source of income. It makes useless people like torbee and little flick feel important.

OP has gotten really into this since becoming a father. Or at least into posting about it more. Almost everything he posts about Iowa football has to be framed in terms of a business metaphor. Next step is everything in life is framed in terms of a business metaphor. Good luck with your success OP.
I can't remember the last thing I posted about iowa football on this site. Are you on on3?

All I'm trying to do is make it so my daughter doesn't actually ever have to know what that side of life actually looks like. If people want to say she is "privileged" then you are God damn right I'm going to do whatever I can to get her as mich privilege as possible.

we used to have stores and guys who listed stuff for you on ebay. just bring the stuff to the store or the guy's house. he would list it, like 20-30% commission. some of the guys would ship also.

all that went away when shipping got high $$ and ebay started saying they would issue a 1099. and of course, sales tax came into play. and then ebay started treating the buyer as the absolute honest gospel and the seller was trash trying to scam people.

I've owned/operated my own DJ service since 2006. I've deejayed part time since 1996. I still have a passion for doing it, there's nothing like seeing, and keeping, a dance floor packed with the majority of my crowds having a great time.

I will confess, however, at 52 years old it's getting harder dragging around and setting up all my gear at events. Also makes me sad knowing I'm getting older and my clients typically are always young. 😆

Reactions: torbee
I can't remember the last thing I posted about iowa football on this site. Are you on on3?

All I'm trying to do is make it so my daughter doesn't actually ever have to know what that side of life actually looks like. If people want to say she is "privileged" then you are God damn right I'm going to do whatever I can to get her as mich privilege as possible.
Yes I'm on on3. And I don't blame you one bit man, good on you do what you gotta do. My dad talked the same stuff you're talking and just never executed on it and we were never affluent or even solidly middle class for more than a few months at a time, but he was at all my games and we've pretty much always had a great relationship. He has, or at one point had, more regrets about his ability to provide than any of his kids do disappointment in it.

I've owned/operated my own DJ service since 2006. I've deejayed part time since 1996. I still have a passion for doing it, there's nothing like seeing, and keeping, a dance floor packed with the majority of my crowds having a great time.

I will confess, however, at 52 years old it's getting harder dragging around and setting up all my gear at events. Also makes me sad knowing I'm getting older and my clients typically are always young. 😆
the problem is also this: kids listen to their own thing on their phone now. also: I was at an event recently and the dang thing had two DJ's near each other playing different music, it was hard to concentrate.

Hustle culture sucks.
This attitude sucks. You may not want to do it but don't condescend to someone that does.
It's like the thread on here awhile ago about home ownership. There were some that wanted no part of working on their house to make it look better to sell at a profit and move up to a nicer home. If you don't want to, that's perfectly fine. You just don't get to whine about not having the same house as someone else.

Reactions: TennNole17
Dividends, interest, and capital gains. I have no interest in being a landlord and dealing with tenants.

This attitude sucks. You may not want to do it but don't condescend to someone that does.
It's like the thread on here awhile ago about home ownership. There were some that wanted no part of working on their house to make it look better to sell at a profit and move up to a nicer home. If you don't want to, that's perfectly fine. You just don't get to whine about not having the same house as someone else.
There seems to be a lot of whining on this board about how kids behave, parents not being involved in their kids lives etc.

I dont get why anybody chooses to work their life away when it takes time away from their children (perhaps not in whiskeys case).

You do you, but you just dont get to whine about kids these days and the lack of involvement from the parents

ETA: the one thing i will not be envious about is having the same oversized house as anybody else

Last edited:
Talk to me a little bit about CDs if you would.

I had this idea, and I think CDs might be the best vehicle.

You put 100 bucks in a 12 month cd, next month do the same, ect. So after your first year you are rolling over a cd every month. I know returns wouldn't be great but let's say 100 turns into 105 bucks after a year. Can you buy a 105 dollar cd at that time so you could basically roll it while compounding your interest but at any given moment be 30 days( max) from drawing post tax money out?
Yes, less taxes. It depends on your risk tolerance, and your time horizon. I'm 49 and still letting it ride in the market. There are big downs, but big ups, as well. If you don't need the principal, you can also buy into a dividend fund that will reliably kick off 8% - 10% in dividends each year (or, at least, a certain dividend based upon the number of shares owned. The price of those can go down, so you could lose money if you had to cash out during a downturn, but they do kick out regular dividends.

the problem is also this: kids listen to their own thing on their phone now. also: I was at an event recently and the dang thing had two DJ's near each other playing different music, it was hard to concentrate.
Yes, times are changing, like any industry. For many DJs, it seems much more to be about flash than substance these days. I know I'm a great DJ after all these years but keep my gear simple.

At the end of my events I'm being complimented for my music mixing efforts, not some overhyped DJ turntable setup, but to each their own. I know that I will age out of the industry soon enough.

This you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT