ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman

Upside? I guess I’ve always been one that sees depth as a plus. Hard to gain any experience or developed depth if you’re sitting, and an undersized Rebraca needed some breathers last year dealing with the 5’s he D’d up against in the BIG. Besides, putting Kris on their bigs when 0 went to the bench only created more opportunities for Kris to pick up unnecessary fouls.

What’s the point of having a 6’11” scholarship player chillin on the bench 30+ games a year when may be able to adjust a few shots underneath the basket, or grab a board on either end given a chance? He can’t be any more inept on D than someone that averages 18-19 minutes a game over his 4 years at Iowa, can he?

We’ll never know I guess.
"What's the upside" is a Brian Ferentz quote mentioned about a thousand times on the football thread. Try to keep up.

And you're correct. He shouldv'e been picking up some time when Rebraca was is foul trouble. But he wasn't. Which leads me to beleive he's not very good. Not a D1 player. Not wishing any ill will on the kid as others seem to believe, but if he hasn't played any significant role by now it is doubtful he ever will. The only player I know of that came on late and played well in his senior year was Les Jepson. I could also include Brad Lohuas, but he was playing out of position for Raveling & Dr. Tom allowed him to play more on the perimeter.

Good luck to RM, but he should probably transfer if he wants significant PT.
Listen, I don't expect to know how Fran thinks, but Mulvey in the limited minutes he played last year helped Iowa beat Michigan at home with the 8+ minutes he battled against Hunter Dickinson and also battled against Zach Edey as a freshmen in the BTT and held his own. If I'm the only one that expects great things from Riley next season then so be it. I have big shoulders and I guess I'll be the only one disappointed if he turns out a bust.
Fran, keeping him on scholarship for the first 2 years and then redshirting him this year, just doesn't make sense just to see him transferring to another program to complete his eligibility and education. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't hurt to believe he has value in extended minutes next year.
I'll agree with you on one point. It doesn't make sense to redshirt one year, only to transfer the next. He'd be better off transfering and taking a redshirt at the next program if that were his path. I actually hope you're correct and he becomes a productive player. Anyone who sticks it out with a good attitude deserves his shot. He's been a good Hawkeye in this regard. But it is a merit based system. Produce or sit on the bench.

"What's the upside" is a Brian Ferentz quote mentioned about a thousand times on the football thread. Try to keep up.

And you're correct. He shouldv'e been picking up some time when Rebraca was is foul trouble. But he wasn't. Which leads me to beleive he's not very good. Not a D1 player. Not wishing any ill will on the kid as others seem to believe, but if he hasn't played any significant role by now it is doubtful he ever will. The only player I know of that came on late and played well in his senior year was Les Jepson. I could also include Brad Lohuas, but he was playing out of position for Raveling & Dr. Tom allowed him to play more on the perimeter.

Good luck to RM, but he should probably transfer if he wants significant PT.

I'll agree with you on one point. It doesn't make sense to redshirt one year, only to transfer the next. He'd be better off transfering and taking a redshirt at the next program if that were his path. I actually hope you're correct and he becomes a productive player. Anyone who sticks it out with a good attitude deserves his shot. He's been a good Hawkeye in this regard. But it is a merit based system. Produce or sit on the bench.
If I had any interest in reading the thousand posts with B. Ferentz' name attached to it over the past 4 years, covering the same subject matter time after time after time, I may have recognized it. I didn't, but it appears you were part of most of them.

Jepsen's a good analogy.

What would his chances have been had he not had the experience early on and confidence gained that PT gave him? He took his lumps the first couple years but his last year was pretty solid. Not saying this would be the case with everyone but you can't teach 6'11" and one of the weak points of the Hawks over the past number of years is the lack of board effort.

I stated if I were him, I'd be moving on. If he does, I hope he finds a program that can take what he has and develop it.

I can hear it already if he stays and plays and does a fairly adequate job as a backup, fans are going to scream about Fran not playing him sooner. Simple answer would be he wasn’t playing well enough until now. I don’t have any idea what will happen but I’ll hope for the best because I think Freshman Freeman has some tired legs this time of year . I haven’t seen quite the same bounce as I saw earlier in the season but I have seen some better decisions being made about not reaching as much as earlier, so a positive. A year of strength training and conditioning should make him a chance to be all Big dream , first team next season

Mulvey has played 133 minutes in almost 3 years. I can’t imagine having any opinion on him other than it would be shocking to see him contribute in any meaningful way.
That's your opinion. Because like others you're too lazy to look up video's that his mother took of his play in high school and during his 2 years at Iowa. I see potential, you don't. Let's leave it at that. Continue to be narrow minded. I see who you root for....

like others you're too lazy to look up video's that his mother took of his play in high school

Correct. I dont care about anything from high school once guys hit college.

If you think im being unfair, take it up with Fran who basically refuses to play him.

That's your opinion. Because like others you're too lazy to look up video's that his mother took of his play in high school and during his 2 years at Iowa. I see potential, you don't. Let's leave it at that. Continue to be narrow minded. I see who you root for....
You mean like Aaron Nimmer's video's? He's not exactly blowing it up at Indian Hill's CC is he? Please stop talking about high school stats and video's, they're meaningless. Practice, we're talking about practice!

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

You mean like Aaron Nimmer's video's? He's not exactly blowing it up at Indian Hill's CC is he? Please stop talking about high school stats and video's, they're meaningless. Practice, we're talking about practice!

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF
Wouldn't you be surprised if Nimmer's ended up back at Iowa. Not saying it will happen but you never know. He needed playing time and at Indian Hills he's getting that, averages almost 8 points a game and shoots over 44% from the field and over 40 % from 3. He free throw percentage sucks but no one's perfect not even you.
This is also my last comment about Riley Mulvey until next year, we'll see then if my intuition about his skills are real or make believe.

Wouldn't you be surprised if Nimmer's ended up back at Iowa. Not saying it will happen but you never know. He needed playing time and at Indian Hills he's getting that, averages almost 8 points a game and shoots over 44% from the field and over 40 % from 3. He free throw percentage sucks but no one's perfect not even you.
This is also my last comment about Riley Mulvey until next year, we'll see then if my intuition about his skills are real or make believe.
Nimmer's back at Iowa would displace your beloved BH at the point guard. Careful what you wish for! lmao

0.8 assists per game 1 turnover per game... Do you honestly think he'd be ready to play against Big10 teams?

0.8 assists per game 1 turnover per game... Do you honestly think he'd be ready to play against Big10 teams?
That's for you to answer, you and others seem to have them...for one thing I didn't say when, or on scholarship, I was just throwing it out there. He has areas of his game that needs to be worked on, is's that why he went to Indian Hills?
Will it happen, probably not, but anything is possible as you know, Fran hates the portal and he knows Amarion, he has talent and he's getting playing time where as a walkon at Iowa he would be seeing playing time as much as the rest of the bench warmers, almost nil.

Pretty evident that some of the posters in this thread don’t realize Mulvey is taking a redshirt year. Meaning he is not “sitting behind” or “taking off his warmup” for this season.

40% from 3 is impressive.

I still don't get how a guy can be that athletic with an excellent 3pt % and no one wants him.

He must be really bad at other parts of the game.

Seems like a really good dude-met him when out to dinner last weekend. He was with his girlfriend who plays womens bball. I won’t out them on here.

Mulvey has played 133 minutes in almost 3 years. I can’t imagine having any opinion on him other than it would be shocking to see him contribute in any meaningful way.
And Les played 145 minutes his first 2 years. Without the multiple minutes of game time experience he played his Junior year, his Senior year doesn't add up to 15 points and 10 boards a game.

I guess will just have agree to disagree.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I still don't understand why some on here wish him nothing but ill will. It was coach Fran's decision not to play him during his freshman and sophomore seasons because of the veterans that were playing at that time. Maybe Fran just didn't feel he was developed enough to play extended minutes.
At 7ft you'd think that he would be a welcome addition to next years team because of the lack of rebounding and frontline scoring. To each his own, but I'm going to root for him and hope he turns out to be a valued addition to next years team.
I don't see anyone on here wishing him ill will. There are those, and I count myself among them, that given what we've seen of Riley so far, have come to the conclusion that he just isn't talented enough (and driven enough) to play a major role on the Hawks. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out like Jepsen and blossoms at some point in his career, but I have my doubts. That's not hating on the kid, who seems like a great teammate from the bench.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Owen needs to eat his wheaties today as he confronts the giant 30yr old Nicholson of NW.
Guy is not Edey but probably 2nd biggest in league.

Lol wtf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT