ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman

He has told you that he wants a large amount of money to continue to stay at Iowa?
If someone offered you triple your salary, what would you do? You may love what you do and where you live, but don't tell me you wouldn't take pause.....hmmmm Money talks, BS walks.

This being said, I think Iowa can provide him with a comfortable package.

He's been phenomenal this year. One area that may need work in the future would be ball security down low. I'm sure as he gets stronger that will take care of itself but as a true freshman he's been HUGE this year.

imagine if we can get something out of Mulvey next year....
Wouldn’t he have to take off his warm ups step onto the court first?

Wish he could be utilized if only because of his length and shot altering possibilities but I doubt Fran has that scenario in mind.

• Haha
Reactions: LukaDuka
Mulvey or someone (another portal piece?)

I just have a hard time thinking Mulvey is going to add much on the court value. Wish I was wrong.

Wouldn’t he have to take off his warm ups step onto the court first?

Wish he could be utilized if only because of his length and shot altering possibilities but I doubt Fran has that scenario in mind.

i am hoping for a miracle ;)

maybe practicing against Owen helps....we'll see....

heck, some have speculated that Riley might be transferring, so who the heck knows....

i am hoping for a miracle ;)

maybe practicing against Owen helps....we'll see....

heck, some have speculated that Riley might be transferring, so who the heck knows....
Considering the PT opportunities the last 3 years I sure as hell would.

With Rebraca’s work load last year and moving Kris to cover when he was catching his breath I don’t get how he wasn’t put in the final few minutes of Rebraca’s sit to get some PT experience. Unless he was physically incapable of running the court and making an effort on the D side why was there a scholarship in place?

With Rebraca’s work load last year and moving Kris to cover when he was catching his breath I don’t get how he wasn’t put in the final few minutes of Rebraca’s sit to get some PT experience. Unless he was physically incapable of running the court and making an effort on the D side why was there a scholarship in place?

Riley's other reported offers: Penn State, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Siena, UMass, Bryant, Penn, Yale, Albany.

Unfortunately, he's a "miss" for Fran in recruiting.

Don't give up on Mulvey yet, I believe Fran has a plan for him after 3 years and 8 months at Iowa, he still has 2 years of eligibility left. The young man does a lot when he is on the court, rebounds, sets screens, makes free throws and alters shots. I still feel that Riley and Owen would make a tremendous front court duo.
I'm sure it was hard for him to see the court when Keegan, Kris, Rebraca, Connor and Patrick played the majority of minutes when Riley was a freshman and Sophomore. I could be wrong, but everyone that has written off Riley could be wrong too. Only time will tell. I love his enthusiasm during games, he seems totally ingaged.

Last edited:
I agree that he's a great cheerleader on the bench, but whether that translates into earning playing time next season, remains to be seen. I'm a bit surprised that no one from the media has asked about him for awhile now. I assume he's practicing with the team daily. You would think if he was tearing it up, we would have heard something.

I hope you don't mind me raising this question, but I've been contemplating whether Freeman is reaping more benefits from other BT schools utilizing the portal compared to Iowa. It seems like this might be affecting the minutes that would have traditionally gone to freshmen. Owen is undeniably talented, but I can't help but wonder if he is truly the standout first-year player in the league or if other teams simply have more experienced players logging more minutes. Thoughts?

He's obviously pretty good. We don't have a great back up behind him. He probably is playing more than he would at some other places and another freshman behind him probably helps too

What's the upside? lol

Don't give up on Mulvey yet, I believe Fran has a plan for him after 3 years and 8 months at Iowa, he still has 2 years of eligibility left. The young man does a lot when he is on the court, rebounds, sets screens, makes free throws and alters shots. I still feel that Riley and Owen would make a tremendous front court duo.
I'm sure it was hard for him to see the court when Keegan, Kris, Rebraca, Connor and Patrick played the majority of minutes when Riley was a freshman and Sophomore. I could be wrong, but everyone that has written off Riley could be wrong too. Only time will tell. I love his enthusiasm during games, he seems totally ingaged.
Yup, he's a great cheerleader... seems like this is his ceiling here.

sexy chris farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

I don't have any feeling for Mulvey's upside. Haven't seen him play enough to get any feeling at all, which is not good. He could be very serviceable after 3 years of waiting. That's what I'm hoping for as I am not a fan of transfers unless they are coming Iowa's way.

I hope you don't mind me raising this question, but I've been contemplating whether Freeman is reaping more benefits from other BT schools utilizing the portal compared to Iowa. It seems like this might be affecting the minutes that would have traditionally gone to freshmen. Owen is undeniably talented, but I can't help but wonder if he is truly the standout first-year player in the league or if other teams simply have more experienced players logging more minutes. Thoughts?
Unless your are a 5 star and one and done player, most freshmen have to pay their dues and be an understudy before earning substantial minutes. Brock, Pryce, and Ladja are all going through the process.
Owen's development took the turn to the fast track because Krikke and McCaffery failed to be reliable rebounders and Fran was forced to insert him into the lineup. Owen's has made a name for himself be being a reliable rebounder, shot blocker and scorer around the basket, but having no game away from the basket is something he will need to work on.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Unless your are a 5 star and one and done player, most freshmen have to pay their dues and be an understudy before earning substantial minutes. Brock, Pryce, and Ladja are all going through the process.
Owen's development took the turn to the fast track because Krikke and McCaffery failed to be reliable rebounders and Fran was forced to insert him into the lineup. Owen's has made a name for himself be being a reliable rebounder, shot blocker and scorer around the basket, but having no game away from the basket is something he will need to work on.
Well Mulvey is a junior sitting behind two freshman.

• Love
Well Mulvey is a junior sitting behind two freshman.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I still don't understand why some on here wish him nothing but ill will. It was coach Fran's decision not to play him during his freshman and sophomore seasons because of the veterans that were playing at that time. Maybe Fran just didn't feel he was developed enough to play extended minutes.
At 7ft you'd think that he would be a welcome addition to next years team because of the lack of rebounding and frontline scoring. To each his own, but I'm going to root for him and hope he turns out to be a valued addition to next years team.

Reactions: unclesammy
What's the upside? lol
Upside? I guess I’ve always been one that sees depth as a plus. Hard to gain any experience or developed depth if you’re sitting, and an undersized Rebraca needed some breathers last year dealing with the 5’s he D’d up against in the BIG. Besides, putting Kris on their bigs when 0 went to the bench only created more opportunities for Kris to pick up unnecessary fouls.

What’s the point of having a 6’11” scholarship player chillin on the bench 30+ games a year when may be able to adjust a few shots underneath the basket, or grab a board on either end given a chance? He can’t be any more inept on D than someone that averages 18-19 minutes a game over his 4 years at Iowa, can he?

We’ll never know I guess.

Upside? I guess I’ve always been one that sees depth as a plus. Hard to gain any experience or developed depth if you’re sitting, and an undersized Rebraca needed some breathers last year dealing with the 5’s he D’d up against in the BIG. Besides, putting Kris on their bigs when 0 went to the bench only created more opportunities for Kris to pick up unnecessary fouls.

What’s the point of having a 6’11” scholarship player chillin on the bench 30+ games a year when may be able to adjust a few shots underneath the basket, or grab a board on either end given a chance? He can’t be any more inept on D than someone that averages 18-19 minutes a game over his 4 years at Iowa, can he?

We’ll never know I guess.
Listen, I don't expect to know how Fran thinks, but Mulvey in the limited minutes he played last year helped Iowa beat Michigan at home with the 8+ minutes he battled against Hunter Dickinson and also battled against Zach Edey as a freshmen in the BTT and held his own. If I'm the only one that expects great things from Riley next season then so be it. I have big shoulders and I guess I'll be the only one disappointed if he turns out a bust.
Fran, keeping him on scholarship for the first 2 years and then redshirting him this year, just doesn't make sense just to see him transferring to another program to complete his eligibility and education. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't hurt to believe he has value in extended minutes next year.

Reactions: hawkguy77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT