ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 #WeAreUnited

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
A group of Pac-12 football players published an article in The Players Tribune. In the piece, the athletes claim that they are prepared to sit out of fall camp and games if the NCAA/Pac-12 doesn't adhere to their safety demands.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

Pac-12 Football Unity Demands

To Protect and Benefit Both Scholarship and Walk-On Athletes

I. Health & Safety Protections
COVID-19 Protections
  1. Allow option not to play during the pandemic without losing athletics eligibility or spot on our team’s roster.
  2. Prohibit/void COVID-19 agreements that waive liability.
Mandatory Safety Standards, Including COVID-19 Measures
  1. Player-approved health and safety standards enforced by a third party selected by players to address COVID-19, as well as serious injury, abuse and death.
II. Protect All Sports
Preserve All Existing Sports by Eliminating Excessive Expenditures
  1. Larry Scott, administrators, and coaches to voluntarily and drastically reduce excessive pay.
  2. End performance/academic bonuses.
  3. End lavish facility expenditures and use some endowment funds to preserve all sports.*
*As an example, Stanford University should reinstate all sports discontinued by tapping into their $27.7 billion endowment.

III. End Racial Injustice in College Sports and Society
  1. Form a permanent civic-engagement task force made up of our leaders, experts of our choice, and university and conference administrators to address outstanding issues such as racial injustice in college sports and in society.
  2. In partnership with the Pac-12, 2% of conference revenue would be directed by players to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives, and development programs for college athletes on each campus.
  3. Form annual Pac-12 Black College Athlete Summit with guaranteed representation of at least three athletes of our choice from every school.
IV. Economic Freedom and Equity
Guaranteed Medical Expense Coverage
  1. Medical insurance selected by players for sports-related medical conditions, including COVID- 19 illness, to cover six years after college athletics eligibility ends.
Name, Image, and Likeness Rights & Representation
  1. The freedom to secure representation, receive basic necessities from any third party, and earn money for use of our name, image, and likeness rights.
Fair Market Pay, Rights, & Freedoms
  1. Distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.
  2. Six-year athletic scholarships to foster undergraduate and graduate degree completion.
  3. Elimination of all policies and practices restricting or deterring our freedom of speech, our ability to fully participate in charitable work, and our freedom to participate in campus activities outside of mandatory athletics participation.
  4. Ability of players of all sports to transfer one time without punishment, and additionally in cases of abuse or serious negligence.
  5. Ability to complete eligibility after participating in a pro draft if player goes undrafted and foregoes professional participation within seven days of the draft.
  6. Due process rights

Thoughts?

Reactions: naturalmwa
I think this is awesome on its face (not speaking if any specifics).

I think all of the discussion about sports departments hurting because football might not play has alerted the players to their value.

It’s evolved to the point where schools NEED these players just to make ends meet. Players have power...use it.

I like the COVID. Parts. I don’t care for the black only parts. I like that they are thinking beyond their own sport. Other minorities really take it on the chin in some of these SJW demands. It would suck to be an Asian, they never get noticed.

I like the COVID. Parts. I don’t care for the black only parts. I like that they are thinking beyond their own sport. Other minorities really take it on the chin in some of these SJW demands. It would suck to be an Asian, they never get noticed.
I agree I like the COVID parts and the protecting other sports. The racial injustice section should be more inclusive, but I understand their focus on black rights with the high number of black football players. The part I question is the 50% of the revenue divided equally among players. I would be interested in finding out how much money that would amount to per player.

I agree the players have power right now, but I wonder how much they can push it without the possible loss of their scholarships?

I agree I like the COVID parts and the protecting other sports. The racial injustice section should be more inclusive, but I understand their focus on black rights with the high number of black football players. The part I question is the 50% of the revenue divided equally among players. I would be interested in finding out how much money that would amount to per player.

I agree the players have power right now, but I wonder how much they can push it without the possible loss of their scholarships?
Some of this strikes me as over reaching too, but you can’t get if you don’t ask and there likely won’t be a better time to ask. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Some of this strikes me as over reaching too, but you can’t get if you don’t ask and there likely won’t be a better time to ask. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.
So much good innuendoable lingo in here. Damn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT