ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Ams, Qualifier

Not a lot of action from either guy in this match. Zane has 2 points off activity clock and gave up 1 on a step out. Zane holds off a late flurry from Cruz. Cruz challenges that there should have been a step out and wins. Cruz wins 2-2. Team USA will need to qualify 57kg at the Last Chance Qualifier.

Damn.

So on his way to Gold Spencer Lee will have or first win OTT in April. Then win last chance in May (or is there more than 1 spot available?). Then win his way thru Olympics. LFG!
Last Chance will qualify the top 3; finalists auto qualify and then there is a special wrestle off between the bronze winners to determine who gets the 3rd and final qualification spot

I can't believe Spencer Lee was in the country the week prior and has won the last three competitions and they send Richards. I wonder if other world powers in wrestling would have sent Richards? I know why they did, but our criteria and process stinks. We are the top nation in the world in wrestling and 33% of our weights are not qualified. Process and selection stinks. What was Zadick and USA Wrestling thinking?

Reactions: Grip220
USA needs to rethink this process. Why not have multiple guys ready in case of a bad cut, sickness etc. This is by far the easiest qualifier.
For something this important, the coach should just pick the team. Throw “fairness” out the window. The guy who wins the spot ultimately will get his chance to qualify at Last Chance if they fail.

Even with American transfers adding depth to Pan Ams, we should never have MFS wrestlers at the Last Chance qualifier.

I want to be outraged but if Spencer is going to win Olympic gold placing top 3 in anything shouldn’t be a problem, and fans might get to see Spencer in more international matches against real competition. Or whoever wins OTT, either way more wrestling isn’t a bad thing and I’d take Lee or Vito at Last Chance

I can't believe Spencer Lee was in the country the week prior and has won the last three competitions and they send Richards. I wonder if other world powers in wrestling would have sent Richards? I know why they did, but our criteria and process stinks. We are the top nation in the world in wrestling and 33% of our weights are not qualified. Process and selection stinks. What was Zadick and USA Wrestling thinking?
I believe Fix, Gilman and Vito all turned down the chance to qualify the USA at 57 KG. USA wrestling must only offer the chance to former world team members.

Well USA wrestling needs to bump Olympic trials for 57-65 ahead 2 weeks. The winner of trials really only has 2 weeks recovery before having to make cut again then wrestle a beast of a tournament. Screw NLWC… have anywhere host for these 2 weights. Give them best chance to win.

So, Mexico and Puerto Rico will be in the Olympics and USA might not be. Stupid process. What has Richards done this year? Are you kidding me?

Also, as far as "well they take the top three" argument... This is real life. Guys wake up in the morning throwing up, sick, hell they might get dinged up wrestling through an Olympic Trials with multiple world champs and medalists and this is the weight we don't qualify. USA Wrestling needs to look internally on this one. Bickley, Zadick and that entire staff should be pulled into a meeting room and asked, how does a weight with multiple world champions send a guy that hasn't wrestled hardly at all this year? I understand Nick Lee. He won a wrestle off. I get it, but Richards, when Lee was literally in Mexico and has won the last three tournaments. Crazy and stupid if you ask me.

For something this important, the coach should just pick the team. Throw “fairness” out the window. The guy who wins the spot ultimately will get his chance to qualify at Last Chance if they fail.

Even with American transfers adding depth to Pan Ams, we should never have MFS wrestlers at the Last Chance qualifier.

Yup…if we put half the brain power and strategizing that they do in college wrestling and applied it here, things might be different. It’s not a process that can be decided a month out. It sometimes comes down to a match day decision.

Well USA wrestling needs to bump Olympic trials for 57-65 ahead 2 weeks. The winner of trials really only has 2 weeks recovery before having to make cut again then wrestle a beast of a tournament. Screw NLWC… have anywhere host for these 2 weights. Give them best chance to win.
And they have to travel to Turkey. Deal with time zones, lost travel days and it's only a few weeks after what will be a gladiator type weight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT