ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Ams, Qualifier

So you are born in the USA, free school, stardom. I have blood from a foreign country(everyone has blood from a foreign country) so I'm taking the easy way.
I call BS.
In the big picture I don't really give a crap.
I think it's chicken shit though.

So you are born in the USA, free school, stardom. I have blood from a foreign country(everyone has blood from a foreign country) so I'm taking the easy way.
I call BS.
Our process is long and grueling. The career window is small I don't fault the wrestlers. You can't win Olympic gold unless you make it to the Olympics. Russians have been doing this forever. The coaches shouldn't be allowed to coach at UsaW events and be at training camps then coach for other countries. Athletes can't comeback after transferring. Maybe it's time for UsaW to make that rule for coaches. You gotta pick your country you want to coach for

I call BS.
If you take away these opportunities they end up ditching and going mma or some other route. I think it strengthens wrestling domestically having the best stay involved. And this is their livelihood they’re going to go where there’s opportunity.

Yup…if we put half the brain power and strategizing that they do in college wrestling and applied it here, things might be different. It’s not a process that can be decided a month out. It sometimes comes down to a match day decision.
Just spitballing here. Don’t roster’s have to be turned in sometime in advance of the tournament? Richards had plenty of time to prepare for this event. Who coached him and where did he train? Hopefully it was in Colorado Springs?

If you take away these opportunities they end up ditching and going mma or some other route. I think it strengthens wrestling domestically having the best stay involved. And this is their livelihood they’re going to go where there’s opportunity.
Isn’t America the land of opportunity?

Just spitballing here. Don’t roster’s have to be turned in sometime in advance of the tournament? Richards had plenty of time to prepare for this event. Who coached him and where did he train? Hopefully it was in Colorado Springs?
He trains at the University of Illinois with his RTC coach Bryan Medlin

Reactions: Inthecircle
Gomez took it to Lee. Win by Tech 22-12.
After an injury time out, Gomez trailed 12-8. He then reeled of a 4 pt, TD to a leg lace, then finished it with a TD. Wow!
I think this is going to be the scenario at NCAAs where Gomez is going to mow down the field. He's so talented and unstoppable when he's on.

Gomez was down 12-8 until under a minute left in the match. Comes back to get the tech 22-12.

Thanks for sharing AF. That injury timeout was total BS. A lot of writhing in pain for 20 seconds and then nothing. Hmmm. That said, it looked like Lee turned to his defensive posture way too soon. Once he got a good lead he had one slip that resulted in 2 but everything after that look like a result of either Lee going to his defense way to early and way too often vice staying on his offense, or Lee just losing interest in the match which clearly was not the case. Probably the worst I've seen Lee wrestle during those last couple mins...

I call BS.
100% agree
Get all the benefits of training in the USA but compete for another country. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

100% agree
Get all the benefits of training in the USA but compete for another country. That makes absolutely no sense to me.
I don't mind it so much, I mean the Russians do it all the time. The biggest and most frustrating difference though is that the Russians don't ever have to worry about not qualifying weights. If Team USA was consistent enough to at least always qualify weights regardless of who defects, then this would be a non issue overall I think.

I don't mind it so much, I mean the Russians do it all the time. The biggest and most frustrating difference though is that the Russians don't ever have to worry about not qualifying weights. If Team USA was consistent enough to at least always qualify weights regardless of who defects, then this would be a non issue overall I think.
You hit the nail on head here. How many times do the Russians fail to qualify? Most Russians competing for other nations will take a dive h2h vs their motherland or their head might end up on a stick.

You hit the nail on head here. How many times do the Russians fail to qualify? Most Russians competing for other nations will take a dive h2h vs their motherland or their head might end up on a stick.
My issue is having coaches who attend UsaW training camps that then are coaching for other countries against wrestlers who were at those camps. UsaW should make a rule against that

Countries like Russia send the guy they think is best to qualify their country. Thus, they are always qualified. I understand a specific criterion to make the team, qualify for the trials etc. The process of qualifying the weight can be entirely the call of the national staff. The fact we have 2 of 6 weights in freestyle, the style we are the team world champs is stupid and a blemish on USA Wrestling and the decision-makers on that staff.

there is two moves to make after yet another letdown:

1. hold the trials in february during olympic years so our team is set prior to qualifying. i don’t want to hear the “but the college season” nonsense. that’s why we have olympic redshirts. use them if you are concerned.

2. if you are involved in with usa wrestling you can’t coach other countries. forfeit your access if want to do coach puerto rico or mexico.

This isn't new. You might recall that Micic wrestled for Serbia in 20 and Amine won a medal for San Marino (of all places) in the same Olympics. There might be others that I just can't thnk of right now.

Oh, my bad! He was born in fricking Tucson, AZ! Sure sounds f**king American! Why training in Mexico? He’s an NCAA champ US born who wrestled for PSU! Again, I think it’s really f**ing silly idiot boy.

He’s not training in Mexico. He trains at PSU. He is a ringer for Mexico…works out for both of them. Also, where he is from in Tucson likely has more signs in Espanol than English. Also, it’s about 50
Miles to the border.

RBY is really the only one of this group I wish would have stayed and went through the process. However, I don’t know how long he is going to be a wrestler. Think he might go the UFC route.

Lol, probably not but there wasn't even a little bit of a limp after the injury timeout.
I forget how annoying it is to listen to Kevin Jackson yell from the corner.
Imagine having to sit in front of him for an entire olympic trials. I should have worn a rain coat and ear plugs. In all seriousness it was a cool experience, dude knows his stuff.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
What’s the reason these guys usually go wrestle for another country? I’ve always kind of thought because they assumed they couldn’t make our team but they’re out here beating our current #1 guys so I would assume they have somewhat of a legit chance making our team. I would guess it’s not financially better wrestling for these other teams, but I could be wrong? Don’t assume they feel a whole lot of nationality pride to go represent these other countries since most of them as far as I know have lived most their life in the US? Just don’t want to go through our grind of a process? Any ideas?

What’s the reason these guys usually go wrestle for another country? I’ve always kind of thought because they assumed they couldn’t make our team but they’re out here beating our current #1 guys so I would assume they have somewhat of a legit chance making our team. I would guess it’s not financially better wrestling for these other teams, but I could be wrong? Don’t assume they feel a whole lot of nationality pride to go represent these other countries since most of them as far as I know have lived most their life in the US? Just don’t want to go through our grind of a process? Any ideas?
It’s just…. easier to earn a spot on the national team and then only have to contend with one American to win an Olympic medal.

Look at the list of who’s qualified for other countries and compare it to the last world championships/top ranked American and what’s obvious to everyone else will become obvious to you. I hope.

Look at the list of who’s qualified for other countries and compare it to the last world championships/top ranked American and what’s obvious to everyone else will become obvious to you. I hope.
If they want to represent another country, they should not be allowed to train and be coached in this country. Only train in Mexico and only use the Mexican coaches.

Reactions: hawks150
If they want to represent another country, they should not be allowed to train and be coached in this country. Only train in Mexico and only use the Mexican coaches.

The eff does this have to do with my post?

Anyway, that doesn’t sound remotely enforceable, never mind also highly illegal. You can’t stop someone in the country legally from working out. 😂

Dumbest post of the year on here and that’s saying something.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
What’s the reason these guys usually go wrestle for another country? I’ve always kind of thought because they assumed they couldn’t make our team but they’re out here beating our current #1 guys so I would assume they have somewhat of a legit chance making our team. I would guess it’s not financially better wrestling for these other teams, but I could be wrong? Don’t assume they feel a whole lot of nationality pride to go represent these other countries since most of them as far as I know have lived most their life in the US? Just don’t want to go through our grind of a process? Any i
This is EASY:

Gilman
Vito
Lee

Are just three guys in that bracket that encouraged RBY to get the hell out of the USA.

Reactions: el dub
He’s not training in Mexico. He trains at PSU. He is a ringer for Mexico…works out for both of them. Also, where he is from in Tucson likely has more signs in Espanol than English. Also, it’s about 50
Miles to the border.

RBY is really the only one of this group I wish would have stayed and went through the process. However, I don’t know how long he is going to be a wrestler. Think he might go the UFC route.
Sounding like he will stay down at 57kg after the Olympics as well

I’d have to see RBY at 57kg a little bit more but he’d have a legit shot at 61kg for world teams. Cruz has no chance. As much as I like Gomez’s style, he wouldn’t either. Out of Michigan’s roster, Micic is the only one I’d give a shot.

I’d have to see RBY at 57kg a little bit more but he’d have a legit shot at 61kg for world teams. Cruz has no chance. As much as I like Gomez’s style, he wouldn’t either. Out of Michigan’s roster, Micic is the only one I’d give a shot.
Myles Amine is very capable

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT