ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Ams, Qualifier

Austin Gomez has amazing weight management cutting down to 125 1/2 and then bumping up to 149 for B10s. #discipline

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Somebody please explain to me the current 57kg situation regarding Olympics.

Somebody please explain to me the current 57kg situation regarding Olympics.
Need to get to the finals and it's qualified. @artradley
That's how It reads to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scruddy
Need to get to the semis and win that match and they qualify @artradley
That's how It reads to me.

So Zane Richard’s is our guy, and needs to make it to the finals?

You know if it's Richards and RBY in the finals one of them will forfeit. I'm guessing it's RBY, maybe both. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Scruddy
That is typically a very tough tourney...
How so? It's only reserved for countries not already qualified. Not disagreeing, just curious what makes it so difficult. I'd imagine US representative would be the favorite in most years. Though I cold see a good russian representing one of those odd ex soviet countries going. Then yeah, I can definitely see the difficulty.

How so? It's only reserved for countries not already qualified. Not disagreeing, just curious what makes it so difficult. I'd imagine US representative would be the favorite in most years. Though I cold see a good russian representing one of those odd ex soviet countries going. Then yeah, I can definitely see the difficulty.
I read somewhere today that anybody can attend that tournament (that hasn't qualified the country already). Anybody know if that's true? Can Spencer just decide he wants to participate regardless of what the US team may want?

I'm sure it is, but if our representative can't win us a spot, then he's wasting his time going to the Olympics anyway.
Yeah idk this last chance tourney is full of Europeans. Oliver missed it by a hair last cycle. There are world medalists competing in that tourney to qualify. Pan Ams usually has a landmine here or there.

We just experienced this in 2020 ('21). Oliver was forced to compete after running the gauntlet of 65KG for US trials, which included Zain, McKenna, Nick Lee, Yianni, etc. He was one match short and missed Olympics.

This was due to Zain getting pancaked by some helmet at PanAms.

I read somewhere today that anybody can attend that tournament (that hasn't qualified the country already). Anybody know if that's true? Can Spencer just decide he wants to participate regardless of what the US team may want?
No. Any country who has not qualified at a specific weight can send a representative. Guy’s cannot randomly enter any Olympic qualifier.

Reactions: el dub
We just experienced this in 2020 ('21). Oliver was forced to compete after running the gauntlet of 65KG for US trials, which included Zain, McKenna, Nick Lee, Yianni, etc. He was one match short and missed Olympics.

This was due to Zain getting pancaked by some helmet at PanAms.
It’s been discussed here in the past, as I recall, some opined that 65KG is the toughest P4P weight class in the Olympics and World’s.
Ask Oliver if it’s a tough tournament.
My biggest concern is whether or not Richards is still going to perform the way he did to make the world team, if he does he should qualify us. If he can’t beat Darian Cruz, the SMFH.

Reactions: Exo
It’s been discussed here in the past, as I recall, some opined that 65KG is the toughest P4P weight class in the Olympics and World’s.
Ask Oliver if it’s a tough tournament.
My biggest concern is whether or not Richards is still going to perform the way he did to make the world team, if he does he should qualify us. If he can’t beat Darian Cruz, the SMFH.
Richards is 3-0 against Cruz in freestyle.

Great shout out to Lilly Luft and the Iowa room from Kayla on her (Kaylas) prep for qualifying the weight! Iowa Women's Wrestling making a difference.

My video feed is like 56k baud. Lol
AOL dial up internet.
Kill that stupid music Flo. Dumb electronic clap and tapping stick noise for mouth breathers.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Gomez took it to Lee. Win by Tech 22-12.
After an injury time out, Gomez trailed 12-8. He then reeled of a 4 pt, TD to a leg lace, then finished it with a TD. Wow!
Nick Lee totally crapped the bed in that match.
I'd like to hear John Smith describe how Lee "fell over like a building giving" up takedowns.
Interesting how Gomez can lay on the mat screaming in pain and then afterwards wrestle like it never happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT