ADVERTISEMENT

**Paris Olympic Wrestling**

To me, pushing someone out on their knees shows much more physical dominance over them than pushing them out on their feet generally. Obviously if they are balancing on one leg and you walk them out that's different. I think both should be a point, but unfortunately that's not the rules at present.

To me, pushing someone out on their knees shows much more physical dominance over them than pushing them out on their feet generally. Obviously if they are balancing on one leg and you walk them out that's different. I think both should be a point, but unfortunately that's not the rules at present.
I agree that it is physical dominance, but not a wrestling skill. A lot of the world sees wrestling as a combination of art, grace, skill, and technical competence and not a test of brute strength.

I would say by dropping to his knees he's avoiding wrestling.
Scoring in freestyle includes pushouts. Lots of guys score pushout points without trying to secure a takedown.
If wrestling action takes them to a grounded position and they go out of bounds, no score makes sense to me.
Dropping to your knees to prevent from being pushed out is passivity and avoiding wrestling in my eyes.
Exactly. I’m not saying by current rules Spencer should have scored, but the rules need tweaking. His opponent was very adept at keeping his knees glued to the ground with his butt at the out of bounds line. Spencer was standing and trying to lift him up to wrestle for a take down or score with push out. In this situation that should be considered stalling and push out point awarded. Or keep it simple, if anyone goes out of bounds first in any position, it’s the other guys point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT