ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery recruiting Blowing Up

Depends on what long term is. 8 or more is over the top and could be counter productive like its been in football.

Frans not getting hired away by a better program more than likely but I have no problem giving him an extension.

It helps with recruiting.

Iowa has essentially no chance to be better than what Fran is going to do over the next 6 years.

If someone else comes in, even if its a good coach, its almost certainly going to cause things to fall apart and have to start a rebuild.

Frans got the most talent coming into Iowa city that we've seen in decades. And its all the more impressive considering he started at the worst point in program history.

I agree with all of these points minus these two:

1) Iowa has all the facilities now and the fanbase to take it to the next level; saying anything else is just excuses and classic Iowa fan syndrome.
2) The right coach COULD keep things in tact and take recruiting up a notch. Right now Frans best asset are his two sons that are going to be ranked very high

Thank goodness no one is going to send Fran packing. I presume that Barta and anyone else that is capable of reaching that level of professionalism in a sports field will have the common sense to maintain a healthy length of service on McCaffery's contacts from here on out.

Fran is the THIRD coach hired since Dr. Tom was removed to open the door for bigger and better things. Only two wins in the NCAA's? How many did we have with the two coaches before him?

Sometimes we seem to behave as if Iowa is on the lips of every coach in college basketball. Hardly. Sometimes we seem to believe Iowa is operating on an even level, like some pro team that if we DO have a bad year we get to make it up with an early draft pick. Hardly. We could just as easily be battling Rutgers for the cellar as we are inching closer to a solid spot among the Big Ten's best.

Now, I don't advocate a lifetime deal. But we simply are unlikely to find another coach that keeps us at this level. More likely, much more likely, if we get in a hurry to replace Fran we'll find ourselves flirting with permanent irrelevance again.

I say we at least give Fran the benefit of the doubt after the rebuilding job he did and having had not one losing Big Ten season in the last five! It's seems recruiting is on the way up and it is false to claim it is only because of his kids. Too false to be excusable as anything but ignorance to believe.

I suggest, if we want Iowa basketball to succeed it is time to drop the wondering about McCaffery and instead want him to succeed. At this point it isn't hard to believe he will.

1) Iowa has all the facilities now and the fanbase to take it to the next level; saying anything else is just excuses and classic Iowa fan syndrome.
2) The right coach COULD keep things in tact and take recruiting up a notch. Right now Frans best asset are his two sons that are going to be ranked very high

1) Iowa doesn't have great fan support in basketball yet. Most games have empty seats. We have the resources to do better in football but basketball was nearly dead just a few years ago and what tradition Iowa had is not relevant to anyone under 30.

2. Sure some coach could keep everything in place but its xtremely unlikely.

3. Frans sons are a great assest but their friendship with Weiskamp is as big if not bigger.

Thank goodness no one is going to send Fran packing. I presume that Barta and anyone else that is capable of reaching that level of professionalism in a sports field will have the common sense to maintain a healthy length of service on McCaffery's contacts from here on out.

Fran is the THIRD coach hired since Dr. Tom was removed to open the door for bigger and better things. Only two wins in the NCAA's? How many did we have with the two coaches before him?

Sometimes we seem to behave as if Iowa is on the lips of every coach in college basketball. Hardly. Sometimes we seem to believe Iowa is operating on an even level, like some pro team that if we DO have a bad year we get to make it up with an early draft pick. Hardly. We could just as easily be battling Rutgers for the cellar as we are inching closer to a solid spot among the Big Ten's best.

Now, I don't advocate a lifetime deal. But we simply are unlikely to find another coach that keeps us at this level. More likely, much more likely, if we get in a hurry to replace Fran we'll find ourselves flirting with permanent irrelevance again.

I say we at least give Fran the benefit of the doubt after the rebuilding job he did and having had not one losing Big Ten season in the last five! It's seems recruiting is on the way up and it is false to claim it is only because of his kids. Too false to be excusable as anything but ignorance to believe.

I suggest, if we want Iowa basketball to succeed it is time to drop the wondering about McCaffery and instead want him to succeed. At this point it isn't hard to believe he will.

Dan most folks looking objectively at this would agree on most points. A good coach can win at Iowa, but the program isn't good enough that a bad coach can still win here, if that makes sense. A bad coach at Indiana (see Mike Davis) can still have a period of really good success.

There are a lot of coaches out there who could win at Iowa. I'm glad we happen to have one here now. I'm cautiously optimistic that Fran will win a conference title or have a deep NCAA run, or both, in the next 4-5 years. The pieces are in place where that could be done. A good foundation on the current roster, and incoming players in Wieskamp and Patrick McC who quite frankly are at a talent level coming into college not seen since Ricky Davis and Dean Oliver.

Reactions: unIowa and DanL53
1) Iowa doesn't have great fan support in basketball yet. Most games have empty seats. We have the resources to do better in football but basketball was nearly dead just a few years ago and what tradition Iowa had is not relevant to anyone under 30.

3. Frans sons are a great assest but their friendship with Weiskamp is as big if not bigger.

19th in attendance average last year, that's not too shabby!

Depends on what long term is. 8 or more is over the top and could be counter productive like its been in football.

Frans not getting hired away by a better program more than likely but I have no problem giving him an extension.

It helps with recruiting.

Iowa has essentially no chance to be better than what Fran is going to do over the next 6 years.

If someone else comes in, even if its a good coach, its almost certainly going to cause things to fall apart and have to start a rebuild.

Frans got the most talent coming into Iowa city that we've seen in decades. And its all the more impressive considering he started at the worst point in program history.

I disagree that his sons are his best assets. They certainly help and the fact that they are coming to play at Iowa (Patrick all but guaranteed) tells me that Barta should sign Fran to a 7 year deal w a nice sum of coin and tell him to go out and he his sons and program a championship (with JoeW and Patrick they have 2 important pieces to do it). Hell I think Fran will work harder w his kids in the team to win so that is a huge asset to Iowa.

Having said that Fran has built an incredible atmosphere around the program both off the court (all the players/recruits rave about the family environment that is in place) and on (the pace of play and the green light Fran gives players to play has to be attractive to recruits).

Fran is still a bigger asset than his sons.

Does Iowa really need to sell out Carver to take the program to the next level?

One would think a sold out arena would be a major factor in recruiting high level talent, but looking across the nation it really isn't. There are a number of top 25 schools that recruit well each year, but their fan base never really shows up on a consistent basis.

Does Iowa really need to sell out Carver to take the program to the next level?

One would think a sold out arena would be a major factor in recruiting high level talent, but looking across the nation it really isn't. There are a number of top 25 schools that recruit well each year, but their fan base never really shows up on a consistent basis.

I dont think you need to necesarily sell out games like an MSU to recruit well but I was simply countering the statement that we have the fans to take something to a next level.

Some places can land players based on location or a great recruiting coach, especially a black coach like Romar or Cuanzo Martin.

But at Iowa the most important thing IMO is sustained on the court, aka post season, success.

No body short of Calipari is just going to come into Iowa and land recruits that are beyond their results.

We dont have any of the built in advantages or tradition to make that happen.

Fran is improving recruiting incrementaly and at a decent rate IMO and thats the only thing the vast majority of coaches would be capable of here.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT