ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery recruiting Blowing Up

but this article and the quotes from Parick and his AAU coach are new (posted online yesterday, May 8, 5:13 pm)

But three threads covering the same subject? Why not post new articles in threads already talking about the exact same thing?

Reactions: RocknRollface
He'll play for his dad, with his brother. It is kind of neat though that he isn't worried about anything but high school at the moment. And, maybe Fran should go the route that Press Maravich took...buy his kid a car just to make sure he sticks around home to play basketball. :)

Yep...there is a reason a TOP 25 ranked Junior to be has not received one single offer...except one. Not one single offer. Not saying there won't be .... but I would ask what are they waiting for? I think we all know the answer to that.

I dont remember if it was an I'Club outing or what...but when asked if it was possible that his sons would look elsewhere to play...Fran said no..they will play for me...

Yep...there is a reason a TOP 25 ranked Junior to be has not received one single offer...except one. Not one single offer. Not saying there won't be .... but I would ask what are they waiting for? I think we all know the answer to that.

I dont remember if it was an I'Club outing or what...but when asked if it was possible that his sons would look elsewhere to play...Fran said no..they will play for me...

Is the answer job security? Like, is he leaving open the possibility that he could go somewhere else? I don't believe that is the case but I do wonder why he hasn't committed yet

I'm more interested in how a Top 25 nationally sophomore disappears in high school basketball games.

I'm more interested in how a Top 25 nationally sophomore disappears in high school basketball games.

Oh yes, here it is bagging on him for what he did or didn't do in high school. He was on a team with two senior Division I level players with his older brother and Devontae Lane. West's other starters were also good players. Have you watched him play? His game isn't about scoring 40 a game, it's a well-rounded, highly skilled game for a young 6-8 to 6-9 player who is just coming into his own. He'll take bigger role the next 2 years on the West team. But high school stats mean next to nothing in determining how a player will to in the Big 10. It just doesn't matter.

Oh yes, here it is bagging on him for what he did or didn't do in high school. He was on a team with two senior Division I level players with his older brother and Devontae Lane. West's other starters were also good players. Have you watched him play? His game isn't about scoring 40 a game, it's a well-rounded, highly skilled game for a young 6-8 to 6-9 player who is just coming into his own. He'll take bigger role the next 2 years on the West team. But high school stats mean next to nothing in determining how a player will to in the Big 10. It just doesn't matter.

Especially a Bergman coached team

He'll play for his dad, with his brother. It is kind of neat though that he isn't worried about anything but high school at the moment. And, maybe Fran should go the route that Press Maravich took...buy his kid a car just to make sure he sticks around home to play basketball. :)

Press' son was one of the five best high school basketball players in America with an Iowa high school Great Donald Ross and Lou Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabar) so yes I hope Fran buys his boy a car! it's not a recruiting violation if it's for your son! ;)

I wonder if Patrick and the AAU coach are trying to help out other teammates with extra exposure? How many times have you heard of a coach that went to watch one kid play, and fell in love with another kid on that team that he didn't know about beforehand? I've heard it a lot in club volleyball. Not sure if that thought process would translate over to basketball or not.

I wonder if Patrick and the AAU coach are trying to help out other teammates with extra exposure? How many times have you heard of a coach that went to watch one kid play, and fell in love with another kid on that team that he didn't know about beforehand? I've heard it a lot in club volleyball. Not sure if that thought process would translate over to basketball or not.
It translates to football and basketball, too.

I wonder how effective that will be considering Patrick would likely only entertain the likes of Kansas, Kentucky and Duke types and I doubt they're looking for players who still need evaluated. I'm seeing a bigger benefit to Iowa if it's a given Pat's coming here for our recruiting. Having a top 25 player on the team alone should bring enough additional attention to get his team mates seen more. It's a nice gesture that could potentially cause some negative recruiting the longer it drags out is my concern. On the flip side, this issue is bringing additional attention along with his rise in rankings, so it's not a bad idea to ride this out until fall, imo.

Barta needs to go ahead and lock Fran down for a long long time and reward him well as his final act as AD at Iowa (assuming this Meyers deal gets him canned).

Reactions: RocknRollface
Barta needs to go ahead and lock Fran down for a long long time and reward him well as his final act as AD at Iowa (assuming this Meyers deal gets him canned).

The most-recent information I found had his contract through the 2019-20 season. I would expect perhaps that to be extended before the next season, but this stuff going on with Barta could delay that.

The most-recent information I found had his contract through the 2019-20 season. I would expect perhaps that to be extended before the next season, but this stuff going on with Barta could delay that.

Barta needs to resign him long term now and give him a raise so others don't come sniffing around. The last thing we need is a new AD coming that maybe doesn't get along with Fran and messing up the hoops program.

Barta needs to resign him long term now and give him a raise so others don't come sniffing around. The last thing we need is a new AD coming that maybe doesn't get along with Fran and messing up the hoops program.

If the AD was smart, I would not see that occurring. The team is set up to succeed over the next few years and a smart AD isn't going to upset that apple cart. But yes, there is always risk anytime a AD change happens.

To my earlier point, I'm not sure if Barta walked into the President's office today and said I want to give Fran a 4-year extension that Harrald would let him do it.

His recruiting will be a hard process much like AJ Green from Cedar Falls. Too many coaches will assume it's a lost cause.

Do you really think Fran is going anywhere?? Ain't going to happen for 7 years. And by then he will be too old for someone to consider forking over millions to get him... That said, I like the idea of Fran getting a raise. But the size of which can only be determined after he proves something more. He could get a healthy raise...

Last edited:

I would agree with you if we had done more than 2 tourney wins in 8 years. I love Fran but to blindly sign him long term would be foolish as I think he needs to show us a little more.

I would agree with you if we had done more than 2 tourney wins in 8 years. I love Fran but to blindly sign him long term would be foolish as I think he needs to show us a little more.

Depends on what long term is. 8 or more is over the top and could be counter productive like its been in football.

Frans not getting hired away by a better program more than likely but I have no problem giving him an extension.

It helps with recruiting.

Iowa has essentially no chance to be better than what Fran is going to do over the next 6 years.

If someone else comes in, even if its a good coach, its almost certainly going to cause things to fall apart and have to start a rebuild.

Frans got the most talent coming into Iowa city that we've seen in decades. And its all the more impressive considering he started at the worst point in program history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT