ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick

McLovin32

HR Legend
Feb 1, 2008
Just gonna say it, I'll be glad when he's done here. The team is better when he's on the bench. I know he's been through a lot, and I feel for him but when it comes to hoops, he basically just plateaued as far as his game goes. He's not really good at anything. Like when he steps on the court, he's not a threat for anything at all. He's just kinda there. He's one of those guys that I don't hate, but I don't look forward to watching.

His scoring decreased, FG % basically stayed the same, 3pt% decreased, rebounding decreased. It's unreal that he was a starter earlier this year.
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

/rant. I'll still watch em in the NIT, but this group has done the same thing all season. Hang around, but never get over the hump. I'm looking forward to watching the freshman develop though. I do think we have some young talent.

Didn't he say before the season this was his final year at Iowa? If he plays another year it will be elsewhere? Or am I making that up? I thought I heard he said that.

Reactions: Mohawkeye and Moral
6’9” tall and averaged 3.1 rebounds per game in his career is absolutely laughable. At that height you should be able to dumb luck into 4 or 5 rebounds per game.

Sandfort is 2” shorter, has averaged the same number of minutes per game in his career and yet averages 4 in his career.

Tony is 5” shorter, averages only 1 minute more per game in his career and averages 3.2 for his career.

Pmacs usage was every bit as bad as Brian ferentz having a job. Fran should be fired for that alone. If he watched a game live and even worse on film and he thought pmac earned his time he is F’ing crazy.
Just waiting for some of our boards smarter posters to tell us how a coach on tv said how good he was. Or how the former Iowa players they know say how good he is.

Truth be told, I didn’t watch the men all season until the second half tonight, and I’m sure glad I did. I had forgotten how absolutely, putridly awful PMac is. I mean, if someone had asked me a week ago to describe his play, I would naturally have said “awful,” but in my mind it would have been way, way better than it actually is. That’s how much I had forgotten. It’s good to get my perceptions straightened out again. I’d hate to be watching someone who’s really, really bad in a couple years, make some off comparison between him and PMac, and get some really strange looks as a result.

I think it was last year or the year before he had been called out by an announcer and he spent the next game taunting the announcer as Patrick actually had a rare good game.

This was after one of his mental health breaks. It bothered me you had to support him regardless but he had free reign to act the fool.

A B1G coach has produced two sons who were......

a starting 6'5" PG/Undersized PF who couldn't shoot and whos two stellar attributes was willing to get scrappy and give the best damn bounce passes into the post this world has seen since 1972 and.....

a starting/reserve 6'9" Forward who could be knocked over by a stiff fart and also refuses to use his length to rebound or defend. Even though this kid comes off the bench and has fouls to give he isn't aggressive and is more timid than a priest in a strip club.

This isn't these two players faults though. It is the fault of the coach who somehow mentally in his own head can justify 20+ minutes for these two.
In the case of Pat I believe 90% of coaches would play him 10 mins a game. If he start 2-2 or 3-3 from the field you bump him up to 15. Connor would have been an ok backup PG and that's it. Never should have started and again only should have been in 10-15 min range.

As an Iowa fan I'll thank Patrick for his contributions in the face of some life challenges most of us would not want to deal with. He stuck out this season after missing some games, but I never felt his heart was really invested in playing when the season started or after returning. There were times where he looked lost on the court. His brother Conner was an intense player, but Patrick hasn't shown any intensity close to Conner's. Just my observation.

I think it was last year or the year before he had been called out by an announcer and he spent the next game taunting the announcer as Patrick actually had a rare good game.

This was after one of his mental health breaks. It bothered me you had to support him regardless but he had free rein to act the fool.
Last year. IIRC it was against Indiana and he was running his mouth to Robbie Hummel. He made some 3’s (maybe 4 or 5) in the first half and we went on to get beat.

Pmacs usage was every bit as bad as Brian ferentz having a job. Fran should be fired for that alone. If he watched a game live and even worse on film and he thought pmac earned his time he is F’ing crazy.
Just waiting for some of our boards smarter posters to tell us how a coach on tv said how good he was. Or how the former Iowa players they know say how good he is.
If it makes you feel better, in 21-22 he got the third most minutes on the team, 6.3 minutes per game more than future first round pick Kris Murray.

If PMac comes back, the apathy in this program will reach an all time high.
If Iowa shows improvement and in the top 20 before the start of January, I don't think that Patrick being on the roster is going to keep fans from watching Iowa basketball. We'll see, just hope whatever decision he makes is the best for him and his family.

Reactions: iowaathletes
I’m fairly certain Pat lead the team in points with less than 90 seconds and the game out of reach.
No one took it to the hole against an uncontesting defense with an 11 point lead like PMAC.
Thinking same.

Just gonna say it, I'll be glad when he's done here. The team is better when he's on the bench. I know he's been through a lot, and I feel for him but when it comes to hoops, he basically just plateaued as far as his game goes. He's not really good at anything. Like when he steps on the court, he's not a threat for anything at all. He's just kinda there. He's one of those guys that I don't hate, but I don't look forward to watching.

His scoring decreased, FG % basically stayed the same, 3pt% decreased, rebounding decreased. It's unreal that he was a starter earlier this year.

/rant. I'll still watch em in the NIT, but this group has done the same thing all season. Hang around, but never get over the hump. I'm looking forward to watching the freshman develop though. I do think we have some young talent.
Amazing to think he was ahead of Keegan to start the year. Next season started over Kris. Following year ahead of sandfort in the rotation before he took his sabbatical. Even then didn’t stop Fran putting him in over the 6th man of the year during BTT last year. And finally this year 24 yr old 5th yr sr starting again when had no business. He needs to move on.

Also pretty reliable source says if he plays one more year in college it odds are won’t be at Iowa. Chance he goes the over seas route.

If Iowa shows improvement and in the top 20 before the start of January, I don't think that Patrick being on the roster is going to keep fans from watching Iowa basketball. We'll see, just hope whatever decision he makes is the best for him and his family.
And if PMac comes back, he’s probably playing 20+ MPG again and taking minutes, either directly or indirectly, from young guys like Freeman, Harding, Dix, Dembele, et al.

That’s where apathy, frustration, anger, or whatever emotion or non-emotion kicks in. I won’t speak for the entire fanbase, but I’m personally ready to move on from Patrick being on this roster. I think it’s better for everyone interested in the Iowa MBB team... fans, players, coaches, and so on.

He lacks both confidence and aggression, but like you, after what he has gone through and his dad being the coach; I will give him a pass.

Reactions: hawkdave007
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT