ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick

A B1G coach has produced two sons who were......

a starting 6'5" PG/Undersized PF who couldn't shoot and whos two stellar attributes was willing to get scrappy and give the best damn bounce passes into the post this world has seen since 1972 and.....

a starting/reserve 6'9" Forward who could be knocked over by a stiff fart and also refuses to use his length to rebound or defend. Even though this kid comes off the bench and has fouls to give he isn't aggressive and is more timid than a priest in a strip club.

This isn't these two players faults though. It is the fault of the coach who somehow mentally in his own head can justify 20+ minutes for these two.
In the case of Pat I believe 90% of coaches would play him 10 mins a game. If he start 2-2 or 3-3 from the field you bump him up to 15. Connor would have been an ok backup PG and that's it. Never should have started and again only should have been in 10-15 min range.
Shut your mouth. Connor McCaffery is the best 27-year old PG this school has ever had.

That I can see and maybe even agree with. Honestly if you could have just took Connor's aggression out of him and gave it to PMAC he may be at minimum a 3rd Team Big Ten caliber player
PMAC desperately tries to avoid contact on D. Forgot what OSU guy drove on him towards the end but the guy gets all the way to the hoop basically through Patrick. Patrick is back peddling as fast as possible to get out of the way, arms flailing and look of terror on his face, but the dude keeps going at him.....pretty emblematic of Patrick's D.

If Iowa shows improvement and in the top 20 before the start of January, I don't think that Patrick being on the roster is going to keep fans from watching Iowa basketball. We'll see, just hope whatever decision he makes is the best for him and his family.
"Top 20 before the start of January" means nothing, and the McCaffery Era has been a prime example of that.

I don’t even think he has wanted to play basketball the last couple years so I would be beyond shocked if he is back next year.

I think the best stat is that he averaged just over half a foul a game. Nothing is more telling of how non aggressive he has been than looking at the amount of fouls he has committed.
I could try and play defense and possibly get a foul or I can just let you go to the hoop for an easy bucket. Gotta make sure I have enough energy on offense to dribble around for 10 seconds and then throw some shit up towards the hoop and hope it goes in.
It amazes me that he and Connor are brothers. Complete opposites when it comes to aggression. Guess Pat got his a$$ beat by Connor while they were growing up.
What you didn't appreciate his 4 fouls last night? He figured out the way to get sent to the bench under Fran was to get 2 fouls in the first half, so he only had more than 1 foul in I believe 7 games this season, so was able to stay on the court. Fran wouldn't send them to the bench for poor defense.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
PMAC desperately tries to avoid contact on D. Forgot what OSU guy drove on him towards the end but the guy gets all the way to the hoop basically through Patrick. Patrick is back peddling as fast as possible to get out of the way, arms flailing and look of terror on his face, but the dude keeps going at him.....pretty emblematic of Patrick's D.
That's how you stay on the court at Iowa.

Unfortunately he's nothing like Aaron White who best trait was flying inside and mixing it up along with some of the most violent dunks you'd see. Patrick is the anti-White.
Oh he looks very white to me. I feel like his tats make him look even more pale skinned.

I couldn't agree more. Even in the game last night, Dembele did some dumb shit, but he also did some very good things on defense. I would have loved to see him taking a few of Patrick's minutes all season long. Dembele has shown a few flashes this year of his potential, he just needs game experience.....and to work on that jumper a little bit haha
Agreed. I like Dembele's upside. He's not scared of the moment. Frankly, none of our freshman seem scared of the moment.

Dembele doesn't hesitate. I know he missed a lot of threes and jumpers but when he starts knocking those down, he'll be a tough matchup. I was fine with him shooting. He never forced anything.

Agreed. I like Dembele's upside. He's not scared of the moment. Frankly, none of our freshman seem scared of the moment.

Dembele doesn't hesitate. I know he missed a lot of threes and jumpers but when he starts knocking those down, he'll be a tough matchup. I was fine with him shooting. He never forced anything.
I like this freshman class. All four will be good players for Iowa with couple possibly being outstanding.

I like this freshman class. All four will be good players for Iowa with couple possibly being outstanding.

Completely agree with both of these.

If it makes you feel better, in 21-22 he got the third most minutes on the team, 6.3 minutes per game more than future first round pick Kris Murray.
I really like FMC in many ways. He is a very bright guy who has done some really good things to get Iowa back to being a nationally competitive program. However, he completely lost me with the way he under utilized first round picks to over utilize his own kids. To me, it was wholly unforgivable and a sign that he is willing to put personal gain over the health of the program—and for that reason, I’d like him to retire soon

Let's hope Patrick is really gone next year. Krikke gave us what he had, but he is slow and my vertical might have been better until my recent knee replacement. I disagree about Tony returning, but he did play his worst in the last few games.

Reactions: Moral and McLovin32
I will not miss watching him lollygag on defense, avoid contact, and leave his guy wide open for a kickout 3.

It’s also hard to quantify, but I guarantee we either did not pursue other quality recruits that would have competed for his minutes and/or missed out on recruits due to the obvious deference to play his son more minutes that he should. It’s definitely on Fran for not actively trying to improve that aspect for the team. You can’t have a 6’9 player that cannot rebound or do anything particularly well for that matter. Original poster was spot on - he’s just kinda “there” when on the court.

Looking back - how much better off would this team be at the end of this year AND for next year if Dembele would have gotten most of Pmac’s minutes. Fran insisting on playing a stretch 4 that can’t rebound, play defense, or be an above average 3-pt threat is totally laughable. An unbiased coach would have invested more in a young players development like Dembele.

Looking back - how much better off would this team be at the end of this year AND for next year if Dembele would have gotten most of Pmac’s minutes. Fran insisting on playing a stretch 4 that can’t rebound, play defense, or be an above average 3-pt threat is totally laughable. An unbiased coach would have invested more in a young players development like Dembele.
Watch Dembele turn into a 1st round draft pick after picking up 28 minutes a game from PMac...

Watch Dembele turn into a 1st round draft pick after picking up 28 minutes a game from PMac...
There's diffidently visually more upside in Dembele then Patrick but, getting Patrick to become a thousand point scorer at Iowa, in my opinion and I know you're not with me on most things, for most players is a rare accomplishment.
Patrick may be many things, but I believe he played to the best of his ability, his coach just over valued him and played him over potentially better players.
Unfortunately, none of us sees what go's on at practices to agree or disagree with Fran's rotation decisions.

There's diffidently visually more upside in Dembele then Patrick but, getting Patrick to become a thousand point scorer at Iowa, in my opinion and I know you're not with me on most things, for most players is a rare accomplishment.
Patrick may be many things, but I believe he played to the best of his ability, his coach just over valued him and played him over potentially better players.
Unfortunately, none of us sees what go's on at practices to agree or disagree with Fran's rotation decisions.
Four years playing 30 games a year with 1,100 points is 9.17 points per game average. That isn’t an accomplishment, that should be the floor with every player, especially one that played for four years and as much as PMac did averaging 15-20 minutes per game.

No point on dwelling on what Patrick's extended minutes did to the team's success or other player development. It's done. I still keep wondering why the assistant coaches sat by and watched what we all saw without saying something to Fran. Lowers my opinion of the entire coaching staff.

No point on dwelling on what Patrick's extended minutes did to the team's success or other player development. It's done. I still keep wondering why the assistant coaches sat by and watched what we all saw without saying something to Fran. Lowers my opinion of the entire coaching staff.

It's done.....maybe. He could do one of those recruitment commit style pictures where he gives some inspirational text about coming back for unfinished business.

I mean, we don't know that nothing was ever said to Fran. When it all comes down to it, it's his call.

I watched Pat at the Iowa kids camp when my son went. Pat was a senior in Hs or freshman and was jacking up threes and looked gangly as ****. He missed most of those threes in a competition and lost to a camper! I knew then we were in trouble. My son did eat lunch with Woodbury and Utoff though! I am ready to move on from the Fran era...
Wasn't he rated the top player in HS when he graduated? What did they see in him?

If PMAC comes back I would expect a CJ Frederick type of deal. Last minute decision to hit the portal for at least 1 player. Let's get real here I don't think CJ would have been a star or anything but he made a last minute decision based on a couple players with the same last name as the head guy. I really hope it does not come to that. On a side note I hope Owen hires a personal trainer or has a parent similar to Mr. Garza, because if he puts on 20-25 lbs of muscle he will be tough to stop.
Wtf is our strength coach doing. We got a bunch of skinny noodle arms.

It's done.....maybe. He could do one of those recruitment commit style pictures where he gives some inspirational text about coming back for unfinished business.
Iowa would be fortunate to have a 29 year old leader of men with cool tattoos to see, come back and play a 8th season.

Reactions: Moral
No doubt.

Payton Sandfort is a Junior and looks like he’s never touched a weight in his life.

Pretty common in the Fran era though.

Perkins looks like he has been working out with the football team.

Ogundele never got in shape.

Guess it's up to the player to get jacked or to get Jack-In-The-Box (not very relevant to Iowa but going with it.)

No doubt.

Payton Sandfort is a Junior and looks like he’s never touched a weight in his life.

Pretty common in the Fran era though.
Payton is 6'7 and listed at 215lbs. That's not exactly "noodle arms." I'd guess that's pretty close to average for a Division 1 basketball player of his height and position. For comparison, Kyle Korver was listed at 6'7 212lbs.

Reactions: Moral
I get it from Frans yes men assistants but I always find myself thinking it has to be tough for Gattens to watch some if the stuff that goes on.

Whenever Fran goes on one if his outbursts Matt looks so annoyed.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Oh I agree with you, PMac scoring 1,000 pts is a great accomplishment. And as you said, at the expense of better players. I blame his lack of progression on his mom & dad. Sometimes you need a little tough love (& I don't mean physically) to motivate a kid. Do this & this or don't play.... By all looks, he's a great kid. Just not a great D1 level talent.

Reactions: Buffalo43
I get it from Frans yes men assistants but I always find myself thinking it has to be tough for Gattens to watch some if the stuff that goes on.

Whenever Fran goes on one if his outbursts Matt looks so annoyed.
Does Gatens get a chance to replace Fran? Probably not as he has no head coaching experience.

Watch jack go on to have the best of the three. Even without the tragic incident or “negative” fans every school has, it still makes sense that he would see his brothers challenges of playing for their father and wanting to pave his own way. Commendable.

From highlights seems like he has good leadership skills. So he’s probably going to have positive impact.

Payton is 6'7 and listed at 215lbs. That's not exactly "noodle arms." I'd guess that's pretty close to average for a Division 1 basketball player of his height and position. For comparison, Kyle Korver was listed at 6'7 212lbs.
Umm…I have a hard time believing that the weight is accurate.

72677996007-ap-24052033183245.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT