ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick

If PMAC comes back I would expect a CJ Frederick type of deal. Last minute decision to hit the portal for at least 1 player. Let's get real here I don't think CJ would have been a star or anything but he made a last minute decision based on a couple players with the same last name as the head guy. I really hope it does not come to that. On a side note I hope Owen hires a personal trainer or has a parent similar to Mr. Garza, because if he puts on 20-25 lbs of muscle he will be tough to stop.

I flipped through a lot of games tonight and he wouldn't play on any team I watched.

On a sidenote I did see the golden boy get interviewed and he has moved the part a little to the left.

Reactions: Buffalo43
We deal with sickness and cancer in our own ways. But thyroid cancer is not a death sentence — far from it. Oncologists say if you’re going to get cancer, thyroid is the one you’d prefer. Easily treatable, near 100 percent recovery.

I speak from experience. I had to have my thyroid removed. After treatment I’ve been cancer-free for 15 years. I simply have to take a small synthroid pill daily. No big deal.

A B1G coach has produced two sons who were......

a starting 6'5" PG/Undersized PF who couldn't shoot and whos two stellar attributes was willing to get scrappy and give the best damn bounce passes into the post this world has seen since 1972 and.....

a starting/reserve 6'9" Forward who could be knocked over by a stiff fart and also refuses to use his length to rebound or defend. Even though this kid comes off the bench and has fouls to give he isn't aggressive and is more timid than a priest in a strip club.

This isn't these two players faults though. It is the fault of the coach who somehow mentally in his own head can justify 20+ minutes for these two.
In the case of Pat I believe 90% of coaches would play him 10 mins a game. If he start 2-2 or 3-3 from the field you bump him up to 15. Connor would have been an ok backup PG and that's it. Never should have started and again only should have been in 10-15 min range.
Disagree on Connor. I was a fan of his play.

Totally agree on PMAC. Totally undeserving of the minutes he got….incredibly frustrating player to watch.

The lack of confidence is appropriate to the level of ability.

I don’t think he lacked ability, which is the most frustrating thing to me. He has a good combination of size, athleticism, and skill, but he plays so soft, timid, and frankly just dumb. He’s terrible on defensive rotations, and he often disrupted offensive flow by dribbling too much and then jumping in the air with no plan of what he was going to do.

If he played with Connor’s intensity, he could have been a really good player.

I don’t even think he has wanted to play basketball the last couple years so I would be beyond shocked if he is back next year.

I think the best stat is that he averaged just over half a foul a game. Nothing is more telling of how non aggressive he has been than looking at the amount of fouls he has committed.
I could try and play defense and possibly get a foul or I can just let you go to the hoop for an easy bucket. Gotta make sure I have enough energy on offense to dribble around for 10 seconds and then throw some shit up towards the hoop and hope it goes in.
It amazes me that he and Connor are brothers. Complete opposites when it comes to aggression. Guess Pat got his a$$ beat by Connor while they were growing up.

I don’t think he lacked ability, which is the most frustrating thing to me. He has a good combination of size, athleticism, and skill, but he plays so soft, timid, and frankly just dumb. He’s terrible on defensive rotations, and he often disrupted offensive flow by dribbling too much and then jumping in the air with no plan of what he was going to do.
When he had the ball on a fast break, you could almost always guarantee the break would end without a bucket.

A positionless approach has consequences for a player like Patrick. Coaches should have figured out early on where he would be best suited and had him practice for it. They didn't and what we got was a guy out there just sort of wandering around trying to do a little bit of everything. He wasn't good enough to be that guy.

Pat likely would have done better playing for another program,.. Both boys took a tremendous amount of shit for being the coaches sons, and while Connor always seemed to revel in confrontation, Pat's skin was never quite thick enough,.. I think Jack and his parents made the right decision for him.

Last edited:
A positionless approach has consequences for a player like Patrick. Coaches should have figured out early on where he would be best suited and had him practice for it. They didn't and what we got was a guy out there just sort of wandering around trying to do a little bit of everything. He wasn't good enough to be that guy.
I think the problem is that there just isn't a position for Patrick to excel at. He's not nearly quick enough to go up against quicker guards and wings. He's not nearly physical enough to play down low. He's kind of the epitome of a positionless player. It's not his fault. It's just a simple reality of who he is.

Truth be told, I didn’t watch the men all season until the second half tonight, and I’m sure glad I did. I had forgotten how absolutely, putridly awful PMac is. I mean, if someone had asked me a week ago to describe his play, I would naturally have said “awful,” but in my mind it would have been way, way better than it actually is. That’s how much I had forgotten. It’s good to get my perceptions straightened out again. I’d hate to be watching someone who’s really, really bad in a couple years, make some off comparison between him and PMac, and get some really strange looks as a result.
Y
I think the problem is that there just isn't a position for Patrick to excel at. He's not nearly quick enough to go up against quicker guards and wings. He's not nearly physical enough to play down low. He's kind of the epitome of a positionless player. It's not his fault. It's just a simple reality of who he is.
I think Fran wanted him to be the next Aaron White

Reactions: jasonrann
Pat likely would have done better playing for another program,.. Both boys took a tremendous amount of shit for being the coaches sons, and while Connor always seemed to revel in confrontation, Pat's skin was never quite thick enough,.. I think Jack and his parents made the right decision for him.
They both played more minutes than their ability warranted.

He needed to be a 4 but he never developed the game for that.

He always wanted to be a guard but wasn't anywhere near quick enough to take any off the dribble.

He stopped being aggressive taking it to the basket because when he was aggressive it mostly didn't work.

Last edited:
They both played more minutes than their ability warranted.
Connor got the most preferential treatment from Fran in that 2020-2021 season. Anybody else shooting 27% from three, 32% from the field, and 58% from the line while trying to play a second sport, and not being able to create or defend on the court, would not have been playing, let alone starting and playing 20 plus minutes a game. Still can’t believe he started over Keegan that season. Cost Iowa big time. Think it’s one of the big reasons CJ left us too.

Last edited:
If PMAC comes back I would expect a CJ Frederick type of deal. Last minute decision to hit the portal for at least 1 player. Let's get real here I don't think CJ would have been a star or anything but he made a last minute decision based on a couple players with the same last name as the head guy. I really hope it does not come to that. On a side note I hope Owen hires a personal trainer or has a parent similar to Mr. Garza, because if he puts on 20-25 lbs of muscle he will be tough to stop.

He wont be getting coached up by this staff.
Maybe he should hire Frank G.

Just gonna say it, I'll be glad when he's done here. The team is better when he's on the bench. I know he's been through a lot, and I feel for him but when it comes to hoops, he basically just plateaued as far as his game goes. He's not really good at anything. Like when he steps on the court, he's not a threat for anything at all. He's just kinda there. He's one of those guys that I don't hate, but I don't look forward to watching.

His scoring decreased, FG % basically stayed the same, 3pt% decreased, rebounding decreased. It's unreal that he was a starter earlier this year.
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

/rant. I'll still watch em in the NIT, but this group has done the same thing all season. Hang around, but never get over the hump. I'm looking forward to watching the freshman develop though. I do think we have some young talent.
Part of that freshman development (and sophomore for Dix) should have been playing more and taking Patrick's minutes. It's been blatantly obvious since only a few games into the season. Certainly was glaringly obvious by the time we were in Big Ten play.

Iowa needs a full time doctor on it's basketball team.... one who administers steroids for their skinny white asses... bulk up boys!

Before:

Dance Dancing GIF by Piñata Farms: The Meme App

After:

Wk Pain GIF by wksklep

I think he could have been an effective #4 if given the proper direction and coaching from early on. He would have had to add some weight which I know is challenging for him, but it could have been done. An athletic #4 with good ball handling skills seems like a good fit in Fran's offense. Some extra weight would have helped with his rebounding too. He may not have liked the idea which I am guessing was part of the issue from the start.

Reactions: McLovin32
Y

I think Fran wanted him to be the next Aaron White
Except it was obvious that White was comfortable banging down low. White was a tough kid both mentally and physically. BTW...not knocking mental issue aspect talking from a basketball killer instinct perspective. Harding has that as does Dix.

I think he could have been an effective #4 if given the proper direction and coaching from early on. He would have had to add some weight which I know is challenging for him, but it could have been done. An athletic #4 with good ball handling skills seems like a good fit in Fran's offense. Some extra weight would have helped with his rebounding too. He may not have liked the idea which I am guessing was part of the issue from the start.
A big part of mixing it up is mental. I don't think Patrick has it in him mentally. Again, I just think that's not who he is.

A big part of mixing it up is mental. I don't think Patrick has it in him mentally. Again, I just think that's not who he is.
That's the frustrating part. He's long, athletic and has some talent. But the effort & lack of intensity is mind blowing. If he'd hit the boards and block a couple of shots once in awhile, he'd get a couple of atta boys here.

That's the frustrating part. He's long, athletic and has some talent. But the effort & lack of intensity is mind blowing. If he'd hit the boards and block a couple of shots once in awhile, he'd get a couple of atta boys here.
I don't think people place enough importance on the mental aspect of excelling at this level. It's as important as the physical aspects and a lot of it is simply a reflection of who you are as person. That's not a slam on Patrick either. It's just an attribute that prevents him being that aggressive banger that everyone thinks he needed to be.

Patrick has dealt with a lot in his short life. So I’m not going to pylon or shit on the guy. But he shouldn’t have been playing basketball, especially after it had negative effects on his mental health.

Also, Fran mismanaged his minutes by sitting more talented players in lieu of giving Patrick minutes that he simply didn’t earn(on the court performance)

We will have to see how it shakes out but losing Pat/Krikke won’t hurt a bit. I would love to see Perk and Sandfort the Elder run it back with Harding at the point, Perkins at the two, Sandfort at the 3, portal/Dembele at the 4, and Freeman manning the post. We will need some quality deprh(hopefully the portal) but that’s a solid lineup.

Patrick has dealt with a lot in his short life. So I’m not going to pylon or shit on the guy. But he shouldn’t have been playing basketball, especially after it had negative effects on his mental health.

Also, Fran mismanaged his minutes by sitting more talented players in lieu of giving Patrick minutes that he simply didn’t earn(on the court performance)

We will have to see how it shakes out but losing Pat/Krikke won’t hurt a bit. I would love to see Perk and Sandfort the Elder run it back with Harding at the point, Perkins at the two, Sandfort at the 3, portal/Dembele at the 4, and Freeman manning the post. We will need some quality deprh(hopefully the portal) but that’s a solid lineup.
so no Dix? Our best defender comes off the bench?

Pmacs usage was every bit as bad as Brian ferentz having a job. Fran should be fired for that alone. If he watched a game live and even worse on film and he thought pmac earned his time he is F’ing crazy.
Just waiting for some of our boards smarter posters to tell us how a coach on tv said how good he was. Or how the former Iowa players they know say how good he is.
Eureka! I think I've got it! Why all the nepotism:

Both Fran and Kirk are PA guys. Back in the late 70's the Pirates were going great guns. Kirk is from right outside Pittsburgh, btw.

In the Pirates climactic year of '79 the team's theme song became the disco hit We Are Family.

20240315-104017.jpg

Clearly Fran and Kirk REALLY took this quite literally and took it to heart!

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Part of that freshman development (and sophomore for Dix) should have been playing more and taking Patrick's minutes. It's been blatantly obvious since only a few games into the season. Certainly was glaringly obvious by the time we were in Big Ten play.
I couldn't agree more. Even in the game last night, Dembele did some dumb shit, but he also did some very good things on defense. I would have loved to see him taking a few of Patrick's minutes all season long. Dembele has shown a few flashes this year of his potential, he just needs game experience.....and to work on that jumper a little bit haha

And if PMac comes back, he’s probably playing 20+ MPG again and taking minutes, either directly or indirectly, from young guys like Freeman, Harding, Dix, Dembele, et al.

That’s where apathy, frustration, anger, or whatever emotion or non-emotion kicks in. I won’t speak for the entire fanbase, but I’m personally ready to move on from Patrick being on this roster. I think it’s better for everyone interested in the Iowa MBB team... fans, players, coaches, and so on.
I'm with the majority, I'm ready to see Patrick move on. as a 5th year senior he provides to basketball the equivalent of a little recruited walk-on, and I'm sorry if I'm offending walk-ons in general.
This team with it's senior makeup was a wreck from the beginning, starting Patrick, Krikke, Payton, Bowen, and Perkins to begin the season, and never recovered from the poor showing during the non-conference and the start of the Big Ten season. Fran was forced to start Owen Freeman just to put someone on the floor that was willing to rebound and play defense. He wasn't enough to change the outcome of the season as you could see Owen lose some zip in his legs as he wore down trying to defend bigger centers. The other 3 freshmen all showed some glimpses of what they could become during their time at Iowa, but again, that wasn't enough to overcome the slow start of the season.
I was happy to see Dix become more aggressive as the season went on and have hopes that along with Payton and Pryce Iowa has some reliable 3 point shooters going into next year.
Just the loss of Krikke and Patrick is a plus by subtraction.
Fran put this team together knowing what they had since practice started on the 11th of June and during their overseas trip and as a coach that has been in the business for 27 year before this year this may been the most poorly constructed team he has assembled.
Expecting 4 freshmen to provide extended minutes, bringing in
Ben Krikke, and Even Brauns from the portal, what was he thinking and playing Patrick starter minutes was a fail from the start.
The only real players he had that provided anything from last year that were needed to compete in the BIG were Tony, Payton, and maybe Dix. Add Bowen that hopefully improved from last year, he struggled again, and redshirting the only center he had on his roster and you get the season that ended yesterday.
It's amazing that they even got this close to being in the NCAA tournament witch is and I'm giving Fran and his staff more credit coaching then his roster development.
At least they made the NIT, although not like Frans 2012/13 team, this team is not as strong as that team was. Extra games for the underclassmen is always a plus no matter how the season turned out.
Next year is year 16 for Fran, if he's still at Iowa and the result turns out as status que then he can go and watch Jack wherever he ends up.

Tired of everyone bringing race into things
Because Lohaus, Uthoff, Bobby Hansen, Street and the rest all sucked because of skin color , drop Your IQ level to those posters levels and play the race hate game, know the rules. Do not look for the real problems of bad Coaching and not changing play style to match roster , and never stressing defense or rebounding , oh and terrible guard recruiting for over a Decade , Do not look at those issues , Know the rules!!!!!!!!!! It is because of race.

Because Lohaus, Uthoff, Bobby Hansen, Street and the rest all sucked because of skin color , drop Your IQ level to those posters levels and play the race hate game, know the rules. Do not look for the real problems of bad Coaching and not changing play style to match roster , and never stressing defense or rebounding , oh and terrible guard recruiting for over a Decade , Do not look at those issues , Know the rules!!!!!!!!!! It is because of race.
Hey bud, this is gonna be hard to believe......but that was a joke. A joke that went over your head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT