ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick

Umm…I have a hard time believing that the weight is accurate.

72677996007-ap-24052033183245.jpg
Lol that's fine. Just telling you what's listed.

There's diffidently visually more upside in Dembele then Patrick but, getting Patrick to become a thousand point scorer at Iowa, in my opinion and I know you're not with me on most things, for most players is a rare accomplishment.
Patrick may be many things, but I believe he played to the best of his ability, his coach just over valued him and played him over potentially better players.
Unfortunately, none of us sees what go's on at practices to agree or disagree with Fran's rotation decisions.
Patrick has great talent. That's the unfortunate part. I think he was a 4 star out of high school. 6'8", decently athletic, decent outside shot.

His problem was his inability to mix it up. Always shied away from contact. Look at his fouls per game numbers... Way too low. And on offense, he would fade away or try a runner instead of initiating contact, drawing the foul, and trying to finish.

I also just don't think he was a smart player. Stark contrast to Connor who always seemed to know where to be and how to elevate teammates. Patrick just seemed in his own world a lot of the time like he had no focus.

I will miss his unique ability to dribble into no man's land and pick the ball up, previously known as the "Eric May Special."

He did manage to create his own move, "The Patrick Special." In this move, when an opposing player shoots, you turn around and stare at the rim slack jawed while another player on the opposing team gets the ball and puts it back in for points. The variation of this move is to not turn around at all, just sprint to the offensive end of the court and turn around bewildered.

Reactions: LukaDuka and Moral
I think it was last year or the year before he had been called out by an announcer and he spent the next game taunting the announcer as Patrick actually had a rare good game.

This was after one of his mental health breaks. It bothered me you had to support him regardless but he had free reign to act the fool.
I think it was Dakich, and he came out and made 5 or 6 threes in a row. Doesn't change the narrative though.....

I highly suspect Patrick will not be coming back. I really think he wants his last year to be with a fresh start not playing for his dad and under the scrutiny of the IA fan base.

Edit: And I couldn't be happier for the young man. It's the right thing for Patrick above all else. The fact that IA basketball benefits too is an added benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
I watched Pat at the Iowa kids camp when my son went. Pat was a senior in Hs or freshman and was jacking up threes and looked gangly as ****. He missed most of those threes in a competition and lost to a camper! I knew then we were in trouble. My son did eat lunch with Woodbury and Utoff though! I am ready to move on from the Fran era...
Those camps are fun, and great exposure. My youngest got invited to Mullens futurestars camps every year. The summer before his junior year he played against Horner and Bruner going into their senior years in high school. Both had already committed to Iowa.

We deal with sickness and cancer in our own ways. But thyroid cancer is not a death sentence — far from it. Oncologists say if you’re going to get cancer, thyroid is the one you’d prefer. Easily treatable, near 100 percent recovery.

I speak from experience. I had to have my thyroid removed. After treatment I’ve been cancer-free for 15 years. I simply have to take a small synthroid pill daily. No big deal.
I’m glad your treatment went well, but I can think of several cancers I would choose over thyroid if I’m a 15 y/o with a huge future ahead and high expectations from everyone. Removal of the thyroid isn’t easy treatment. My opinion is the physical and psychological effects had a significant impact on his career. I agree it’s time for him to move on. I wish him well.

As an Iowa fan I'll thank Patrick for his contributions in the face of some life challenges most of us would not want to deal with. He stuck out this season after missing some games, but I never felt his heart was really invested in playing when the season started or after returning. There were times where he looked lost on the court. His brother Conner was an intense player, but Patrick hasn't shown any intensity close to Conner's. Just my observation.

It doesn’t seem like he ever wanted to be out there this year. I think with his brother gone it kind of sucked any joy he had for the game from him. Probably played this for his father. I wish him well on his next chapter in life. He’s a good kid who has been through a lot.

I think Patrick's reluctance to play physical has much more to do with the area between his ears than the strength of his body. He can throw a long pass better than anyone on the team, but he defends and rebounds only if there is no physical contact involved.

Reactions: longliveCS40
I think Patrick's reluctance to play physical has much more to do with the area between his ears than the strength of his body. He can throw a long pass better than anyone on the team, but he defends and rebounds only if there is no physical contact involved.
I think he learned to play that way when he was smaller and now that's just who he is.

Perkins looks like he has been working out with the football team.

Ogundele never got in shape.

Guess it's up to the player to get jacked or to get Jack-In-The-Box (not very relevant to Iowa but going with it.)
Perkins would definitely be the 3rd off of the bench for my local club team.

But if he played like his normal self I’d have zero problem telling him he’s sitting for the whole running clock 2nd half.

I want to win!

Patrick certainly regressed in his early years at the head of the press he would get a deflection for a dunk every couple of games

I dont think he has had a steal from the press in 2 years since

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Patrick certainly regressed in his early years at the head of the press he would get a deflection for a dunk every couple of games

He has never gotten many steals at front of press. What u saw this year is his career. Same player for 5 years but his 3pt shooting
went from mediocre to bad.

Fran's press is not about stealing the ball, it about limiting the opponents time to run offense.

Trent Condon on KXNO was trying to say he heard he was possibly going to Duke. Ken then said as what a ball boy? LoL. I laughed at that idea and there is no way it’s happening. If so, sit on the bench, practice player.
My guess is St. Ambrose... He'd be a star there.

ISU 6'1" point guard Lipsey averages more rebounds than Pat who is 6'9" and nearly 24 years old.

Last edited:
I will not miss watching him lollygag on defense, avoid contact, and leave his guy wide open for a kickout 3.

It’s also hard to quantify, but I guarantee we either did not pursue other quality recruits that would have competed for his minutes and/or missed out on recruits due to the obvious deference to play his son more minutes that he should. It’s definitely on Fran for not actively trying to improve that aspect for the team. You can’t have a 6’9 player that cannot rebound or do anything particularly well for that matter. Original poster was spot on - he’s just kinda “there” when on the court.
I was assured by some of our boards true fans that former players rave about how well pmac plays.

Those camps are fun, and great exposure. My youngest got invited to Mullens futurestars camps every year. The summer before his junior year he played against Horner and Bruner going into their senior years in high school. Both had already committed to Iowa.
How does that compare to snow valley? Is that even around anymore?

How does that compare to snow valley? Is that even around anymore?
Not familiar with that camp. Is that in Iowa? He went to one at Liberty Mo (William Jewell college was hosting), and then lnvites to Drake two years, and Iowa City one year, for Future Stars camp.

ISU 6'1" point guard Lipsey averages more rebounds than Pat who is 6'9" and nearly 24 years old.
Dasonte Bowen played 335 minutes in 25 games, PMac played 668 minutes in 29 games. Bowen had a total of 15 offensive rebounds and PMac had 5 offensive rebounds… 5 f**king offensive rebounds the whole season for a 5th year dude who is 6’9”. Oh, and Patrick shot 29.6% from three on 71 attempts, over 2.4 3PA per game, and averaged 23.1 minutes per game. Nothing more really needs to be said as it speaks for itself.

Trent Condon on KXNO was trying to say he heard he was possibly going to Duke. Ken then said as what a ball boy? LoL. I laughed at that idea and there is no way it’s happening. If so, sit on the bench, practice player.
Yeah, not a chance in hell.

He won't have any good high major interest.

It's either come back to Iowa, go to a mid major or a really bad high major or be done.

Dasonte Bowen played 335 minutes in 25 games, PMac played 668 minutes in 29 games. Bowen had a total of 15 offensive rebounds and PMac had 5 offensive rebounds… 5 f**king offensive rebounds the whole season for a 5th year dude who is 6’9”. Oh, and Patrick shot 29.6% from three on 71 attempts, over 2.4 3PA per game, and averaged 23.1 minutes per game. Nothing more really needs to be said as it speaks for itself.
Fran has no shame.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

On a side note…Patrick almost set a pick against OSU. All set, perfect position…bailed a fraction of a second before contact. 😞

Don’t think I’ve seen him set one through contact. Seriously.

Those five boards must have come out to where Patrick was standing, because he didn't go after them near the basket.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
To be fair he averaged more rebounds than any Hawk besides Standfort and Freeman.
For the season?

He was 5th…behind the 2 you named and Perkins and Krikke.

Dembele was right behind Patrick in less than half the minutes

Patrick was 8th on the team in offensive rebounds. Most of Patrick’s rebounds came on missed opponent free throws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT