ADVERTISEMENT

Pemsl arrested

Sorry to hear that(could have been much worse though, so glad he made it). Wouldn't be surprised if the chump probably got a punishment that wasn't even 10% of what you son dealt with!

I know too many drunk driving stories to have any sympathy towards drunk drivers. Then again, I don't know many that have never done it(even I have been guilty of it twice)
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'm taking a different stance then some which is fine. For my money this last offense is worse then the OWI, to some degree. I get that people, especially our young make mistakes, so I would give him some leeway for the OWI, as bad as that was. Driving on a revoked license to me shows willful disregard. That is NOT a mistake. He knew he didn't have a valid license, and yet for however long he's been driving anyway. Just my 2 cents.......

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Not a huge loss on the court, but really stupid by Cordell. It was a while ago, but I lived without a car for my first 5-6 years in Iowa City. If you don't have a license or car, bum a ride with someone, walk, or ride a bike. I think Iowa City is one of the few places in the country where police pull people over for broken tail lights, but about their only job is to generate revenue for the city.

I used to walk around campus forlornly and hope Matt Roth would stop and offer me a ride. Three words……Sweet Ride!

But they will still ask for your license, registration, and proof of insurance. And if he doesn’t have a license, then the cop has to do his or her job...

Cops have little if any discretion at this point. They can't just let him go.

In the old days they would let you go if they didnt feel like going back to the station and doing a bunch of paperwork in the middle of the night. Now every stop is logged. If he goes on his way and is involved in a serious accident, the patrol officers would be held accountable.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Xavier Simpson, at Michigan was the leading scorer for his team, the game after he had a 'bit of a run in' with the POLICE.

Cordell can serv a half game suspension, during Football season, using
Big Blue rules.

This is at least strike two for Pemsl. I get your point but I don't care about Michigan, it's not my place to judge a school that I don't really worry about. I care how this looks for Iowa.

If I didnt have a valid drivers license, my parents would have taken away my car. Makes me think he was driving someone else's car.

Why wasnt a BB student manager driving him? I have heard they cart players around all of the time anyhow.

My gosh this. This is a part of their job. First day a buddy of mine was a manager he had to get one if our guys out of jail. The way he played the rest of his career he could have stayed there. The player got in trouble, obviously.

This was not a good decision by Pemsl, but it is just a traffic violation that a lot of people with suspended licenses make because the alternative of walking/uber is not financially viable. If it had been another OWI, then I'd say that warrants a serious suspension. If they really "arrested" Pemsl for this instead of just giving him a traffic court appearance, then this seems overdone.

One of my roomies during undergrad had an OWI the week before classes started. My other roomies and I carted him around for 6 months, he road a bike some and then took the bus. Decisions have consequences.

Logic, I agree with JJ's response. To me, it isn't the violation. I had a malfunctioning light for years and couldn't fix it. I was a poor college kid so a new car wasn't an option and my current car had some janky wiring. I get this is an annoying violation but it's the fact that he didn't follow through with his consequence. No driving... he lost that right and he needs to make better decisions based on that.

Last edited:
Can you verify he had insurance even though he had no license?

I don't care about the light, but I don't care about people driving around with no insurance.

Pemsl would not have have insurance due to losing his license, however if it wasn't his car....I believe the car insurance follows who owns the car, not who drives the car.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Pemsl would not have have insurance due to losing his license, however if it wasn't his car....I believe the car insurance follows who owns the car, not who drives the car.

Normally you’d be correct. Insurance follows the car, not the driver (generically speaking, of course). However, in Cordell’s case with a recent OWI (less than 5 months ago), there isn’t an insurance company in America that would cover him without high risk SR22 coverage. SR22 is individual auto insurance, specific to a the person.

According to Iowa code, Pemsl would need SR22 for at least two years effective of his most recent revocation (his only).

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/iac/rule/01-02-2008.761.640.6.pdf

https://www.aamva.org/SR22-26/

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
An addendum to the story. Last night on the KCRG TV show "On Iowa", JBo's brother said that CP went out late that night to get something to eat at McDonalds, near his home. Not a wise choice, but at least he wasn't up to something nefarious.

SR22 insurance is applicable only after you regain your license and as mentioned above usually has to be carried for a period of two years,.. During the revocation period, when the driver is actually without a license, the insurance company will not accept responsibility for a moving violation accident caused by the non-licensed driver,.. Basically, if you get an OWI, lose your license, but maintain your insurance, you only have collision coverage for other licensed individuals that you might allow to drive your car...

Thats not the point here. Its the I don't care about the team or my team mates when they are operating on a razors edge as it is. Did you ever play on a team, that was trying to accomplish something? CP knows damn well that those guys are counting on him, and he knows his current situation, because of his previous poor decisions, and yet here we are. Tells me he doesn't care about his team mates or about their common goal. I can also tell you as an employer, I wouldn't hire someone who disregards the kind of situation he's in or his role for the greater good to his organization. Stupid decisions have consequences, and they can be long term....

I think the kid is just trying to live and get place to place. Ever struggle in life? Yes it is a poor decision. Did you read what I've posted because my only point was about the severity of this incident. On a scale of stupid decisions this isn't that bad. Now, you can group them together and say its a trend or maybe he is just a college kid trying to get through life until he can get things rolling in the right direction.

Reactions: 24 so far
And what I posted, which seemed to offend you, is that it wasn’t an OWI. But according to Iowa code, OWI and Driving while Revoked (for OWI) are both serious misdemeanors. They carry very similar weight. You’re making it out to be driving without a license, which would be “slightly above jay walking”. This is a little more serious, only because Pemsl’s past recent history. And no one here is trying to make Pemsl out to be a murderer, so just stop with that.

No it didnt offend me. I just think you are being a bit too serious about what really happened.

An addendum to the story. Last night on the KCRG TV show "On Iowa", JBo's brother said that CP went out late that night to get something to eat at McDonalds, near his home. Not a wise choice, but at least he wasn't up to something nefarious.

Never thought he was up to something nefarious. The list of poor choices, however, goes on and on.

Come on Cordell, Uber Eats is a thing

No it didnt offend me. I just think you are being a bit too serious about what really happened.

If by being too serious when all I said was that it’s a serious misdemeanor, the same as OWI, then I’m guilty.

I said you’re trying to downplay it when you compared it to jaywalking. Whether you want to believe it or not, it’s more serious than jaywalking if you go by grade of offense in the Iowa code. That is all.

I’ve met a lot of 22 year olds who have done way worse things than driving to Micky Ds at 1am on a revoked license. None of those guys were division one athletes though. I don’t think Pemsl is a bad guy at all. Maybe not the smartest, given his circumstances, but not a bad dude. From what I gather, he’s well liked amongst his teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLDHAWK
Thank you. We all cant all be angels when we are 22
You're missing my point or ignoring it I guess. Yes we've all been 22 and done stupid stuff. Even though the OWI he got this fall is more serious, I would at least give him that one as a youthful mistake, and one that has been costly for him no doubt. My issue with this weeks deal, is in my book this is NOT a youthful mistake. Its willful disregard. He knows full well that he doesn't have a legal right to drive, and yet he's been doing in anyway for several months, no doubt. Thats not a mistake, its a choice. Don't be surprised if a judge hits him hard for making the willful decision to ignore the court, and keep driving illegally.

I think the kid is just trying to live and get place to place. Ever struggle in life? Yes it is a poor decision. Did you read what I've posted because my only point was about the severity of this incident. On a scale of stupid decisions this isn't that bad. Now, you can group them together and say its a trend or maybe he is just a college kid trying to get through life until he can get things rolling in the right direction.
Very good. Maybe you should go to court with him, and use your logic to explain to the judge, how he willfully disregarded the court, and drove knowing that he does not have a valid license, on top of the OWI. Let me know how that works out. The first offense was a youthful mistake, and a bad one. This one is not a mistake, it was a choice he made, knowing what he was doing in advance of the act.

If he's gonna put himself in that spot, go somewhere else other than Mcdonalds for **** sakes

158f2f1584f435edc1ba1304cc4378d7.jpg

You would think so, but I knew this drunk that was barred from driving and he had car insurance in his own name.

Not in today's world,... cops don't have the leeway to make decisions like that anymore without risking their job..
LMAO, cops let people go all the time.

I know people in the same spot as pemsl and they were allowed to DRIVE away with a ticket. No license, no insurance and the cops let them drive off. Even WINDSOR HEIGHTS did that. If you have lived in the dsm area you know about whpd :)

Reactions: KirbyKhokbern
iahawks10 is really taking a hard line on this one... why? This seems personal. Did you recently get a ticket from one of the cameras on I-380?...

The only way I can feel better about my speeding ticket is if Pemsl loses his scholarship. Anything short of that means the world is unjust!

Reactions: JLDHAWK
iahawks10 is really taking a hard line on this one... why? This seems personal. Did you recently get a ticket from one of the cameras on I-380?...

The only way I can feel better about my speeding ticket is if Pemsl loses his scholarship. Anything short of that means the world is unjust!

Nothing like doubling down on your stupidity.

A “hard line” on this one? Please elaborate on how I’m taking a hard line on this. What have I posted for you to come to that? Saying he shouldn’t have just been given a ride home and comparing that to Michigan behavior? Yeah, there’s a two page thread from earlier this week of us Iowa fans making fun of Simpson and Michigan for this sort of behavior. Excuse me for pointing out the irony here.

It’s not my job to judge or punish Pemsl. I have said nothing but good things about him, outside of making some poor decisions recently. Hard to argue with that. I trust in Fran and believe he will find a reasonable punishment. Whatever your stance is on Fran, he runs a pretty clean program, all around.

Last edited:
Is this a joke or was he really going there?

I would think the athletes would have access to better food at any time, but maybe not?

It was posted (maybe a diff thread) that JBos brother said that he was going to McDonald’s.

Police in Iowa City are in a race to get the quota Bonus year after year. It's a game and they have fun doing it. Bod knows all about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: redbirdhawk
Very good. Maybe you should go to court with him, and use your logic to explain to the judge, how he willfully disregarded the court, and drove knowing that he does not have a valid license, on top of the OWI. Let me know how that works out. The first offense was a youthful mistake, and a bad one. This one is not a mistake, it was a choice he made, knowing what he was doing in advance of the act.
tenor.gif

Reactions: kceasthawk
Nothing like doubling down on your stupidity.

A “hard line” on this one? Please elaborate on how I’m taking a hard line on this. What have I posted for you to come to that? Saying he shouldn’t have just been given a ride home and comparing that to Michigan behavior? Yeah, there’s a two page thread from earlier this week of us Iowa fans making fun of Simpson and Michigan for this sort of behavior. Excuse me for pointing out the irony here.

It’s not my job to judge or punish Pemsl. I have said nothing but good things about him, outside of making some poor decisions recently. Hard to argue with that. I trust in Fran and believe he will find a reasonable punishment. Whatever your stance is on Fran, he runs a pretty clean program, all around.

umadbro?.gif

you're treating this like he asked for help from Ukraine to get dirt on Joe Biden or something

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT