ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Keys to Victory

ADArmington

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2020
I just rewatched the IU-Penn State game (BTN Football in 60 is the best) as I haven’t seen much PSU football this year and was curious what the major challenges might be for the Hawks. A couple things jumped out to me:

1. Clifford’s ability to get outside the pocket. He did an excellent job vs. IU getting outside the pocket and extending plays, making several nice throws including their first TD. Maybe more importantly, he had several big runs that were designed pass plays after the defensive line didn’t hold him in the pocket.

IMO, if the Hawks keep Clifford in the pocket we likely win the game. This obviously assumes the Hawks stuff a below average run offense for PSU.

2. PSU 3-and-4-wide sets vs. Hawks’ CASH scheme. PSU ran a lot of 4 wide sets with WRs. opefully this will be a coming out party for Jestin Jacobs and Dane Belton. Interested to see these guys take on some shifty/speedy WRs.

3. Special Teams. PSU has a good punter in Stout who also kicks FGs for them, knocked in one from 50+ last week. Their kick return game is weak, but they have Dotson at PR who is more than capable of explosive plays. If the Hawks can win the special teams battle that would go a long way, as Penn State’s defense is very stout and the Hawks may need some short fields.

Interested in everyone’s thoughts on the keys to this game. Let’s hear ‘em.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News