ADVERTISEMENT

*****Penn St vs Iowa (W) Game Thread*****

Couldn’t you just as easily say if Gabby had 12-16 pts in Lincoln, like the last 3 games or Affolter had 18….wed have won?

I am confused by the love affair with McCabe. She can SHOOT!! I love her, but I can’t be the only one who thinks she bounces around like she is lost & not connected when she is out there.

She will knock down shots and she needs to play, but not “over” anyone…..

In the coaches generally know best chapter. We were always going to need Gabby, so LB didn’t take the boards advice and replace her. She slowly, ALL year kept getting 1st Affolter, Then Feurbach & then McCabe more minutes AND let Gabby work through her issues….and honestly who has had better games then all 4 of those girls the last 2 or 3…….🤷‍♂️

Then you toss in Martin & Stuelke…wow!!!
She does need a little more guidance in where she should position herself on the floor.

When she's allowed to float or create off the dribble, she does look like she's a little uncomfortable/doesn't necessarily have a plan. That's something they'll need to keep working with her on going forward, and into next year.

Right now, I could see her filling that role of spot up shooter to replace Gabbie next year, while Kylie fills the roll of distributor/Kate Martin type.

Syd is a McKenna Warnock copy and Hannah will be the feature player next year.

Then if we can just figure out point, or find another guard that can just handle the ball and distribute to help make up for the loss of passing/assists that Clark will be taking with her, and we really shouldn't drop off all that much next year.

She does need a little more guidance in where she should position herself on the floor.

When she's allowed to float or create off the dribble, she does look like she's a little uncomfortable/doesn't necessarily have a plan. That's something they'll need to keep working with her on going forward, and into next year.

Right now, I could see her filling that role of spot up shooter to replace Gabbie next year, while Kylie fills the roll of distributor/Kate Martin type.

Syd is a McKenna Warnock copy and Hannah will be the feature player next year.

Then if we can just figure out point, or find another guard that can just handle the ball and distribute to help make up for the loss of passing/assists that Clark will be taking with her, and we really shouldn't drop off all that much next year.

Great stuff and thank you for your insights on McCabe….Im A FAN, but she looks unsure out there.

Your Affolter, Warnock analogy is a good one. With that said, Affolter is a better athlete, more rugged and dare I say more talented.

I watched Affolter, Feurbach and Hanna closely and they have plus skills they haven’t been showing. Hanna can dribble and drive some and Affolters handles are way better than I guessed.

Hannah has major “bounce” and ability. She has not come close to tapping it.

Feurbach also had better handles than I suspected.

You can see why I’ve been saying all year this team is quicker, faster, deeper, more explosive and more talented than last year’s. I’m confident at this point.

Last edited:
I thought PSU would be more spirited tonight. Flat from the start.

Poor Penn State. Both Maryland and Michigan picked up crucial upsets to solidify their positions for the NCAAs. Penn State ran into a buzz saw. Not sure they'll get in.

I thought PSU would be more spirited tonight. Flat from the start.

I think we are in a good headspace right now and this team trusts each other…🤷‍♂️ we just have to play. Thats where we are.

We don’t have to feel threatened, and we are beatable, but we do know who we are. We are battle tested and we can play at a lot of speeds and we can be physical.

Good, bad or indifferent….there are at least 5 girls, maybe 6 who could & would & have, taken a late game big shot, besides CC.

They can make plays and she trusts them!

This is a good team, let’s enjoy the ride and hope for a long one 😊

Reactions: cyberhawk
I feel bad for the workers, who are just doing what they’ve been told. But the B1G needs to figure it out by tomorrow because for thousands of us who paid good money to see these games to miss most of the first quarter was unacceptable.
Hell no! We had all session reserved seats. Made us leave the arena after watching the MSU-Nebraska game, told us to came back at 5. Had to get in line with the GA patrons.
Missed 1st 4 minutes of the game.

Poor Penn State. Both Maryland and Michigan picked up crucial upsets to solidify their positions for the NCAAs. Penn State ran into a buzz saw. Not sure they'll get in.

Honestly, they were a tough team with some talent. I really thought they were really a solid top 20 type team @ the end of January. Then lost about 5, 6 games in a row and then recovered late.

But they are scrappy and we decimated them. Honestly, I went back to look at a quick stat recap, everyone of our girls who stepped on the court produced. PSU wasn’t a bad team, but we made them look that way in almost every capacity.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Every ticket should have had a section, row, and seat number. The arena seats 19,000 people and having most of the seats as general admission is absolutely ridiculous. The long lines today were proof of that. People started lining up eight and a half hours before tip off. Crazy.

The B1G is to blame but I am guessing that Target Center employees are getting cussed out.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Someone you take with you to a street fight.
giphy.gif

Reactions: millah_22
Couldn’t you just as easily say if Gabby had 12-16 pts in Lincoln, like the last 3 games or Affolter had 18….wed have won?

I am confused by the love affair with McCabe. She can SHOOT!! I love her, but I can’t be the only one who thinks she bounces around like she is lost & not connected when she is out there.

She will knock down shots and she needs to play, but not “over” anyone…..

In the coaches generally know best chapter. We were always going to need Gabby, so LB didn’t take the boards advice and replace her. She slowly, ALL year kept getting 1st Affolter, Then Feurbach & then McCabe more minutes AND let Gabby work through her issues….and honestly who has had better games then all 4 of those girls the last 2 or 3…….🤷‍♂️

Then you toss in Martin & Stuelke…wow!!!
Play a player that can score.

Every ticket should have had a section, row, and seat number. The arena seats 19,000 people and having most of the seats as general admission is absolutely ridiculous. The long lines today were proof of that. People started lining up eight and a half hours before tip off. Crazy.

The B1G is to blame but I am guessing that Target Center employees are getting cussed out.
Nobody was cussing anyone out that I saw. The Iowa fans were extremely patient in line. The person next to me for 2.5 hours said she was there Thursday with GA seats then was told to move two different times because where she was sitting was now reserved seating. She said the Target Center employees told her this isn’t how they usually do things but this is what the Big Ten told them they wanted.

So, long story short this is a Big Ten problem that they need to fix moving forward. Having thousands of ticket buyers intentionally not attend a session so that they can get in line for a game several hours later is not a good look. Having thousands more attend the early session but then leave after the first game to get in line is also a bad look. They could have done it right and had a full-ish arena for much of yesterday but instead got what they deserved. Heck they could have made a lot more money by charging tiered pricing for reserved seating locations while avoiding these issues at the same time.

Nobody was cussing anyone out that I saw. The Iowa fans were extremely patient in line. The person next to me for 2.5 hours said she was there Thursday with GA seats then was told to move two different times because where she was sitting was now reserved seating. She said the Target Center employees told her this isn’t how they usually do things but this is what the Big Ten told them they wanted.

So, long story short this is a Big Ten problem that they need to fix moving forward. Having thousands of ticket buyers intentionally not attend a session so that they can get in line for a game several hours later is not a good look. Having thousands more attend the early session but then leave after the first game to get in line is also a bad look. They could have done it right and had a full-ish arena for much of yesterday but instead got what they deserved. Heck they could have made a lot more money by charging tiered pricing for reserved seating locations while avoiding these issues at the same time.
This.

My final thought on this game before moving on to Michigan, beating Krieger is very satisfying. There is a red assed Kim Mulkey quality to her that makes seeing her lose feel good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT