ADVERTISEMENT

People are quitting if not allowed to work from home

• Thread starter anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
  • Start date
I have had to go into my building every day. I have not worked one day from home. I had an employee that has been working from home ask if she can get reimbursed for the electricity increase because her computer is on way more than usual.

• Wow
Reactions: ThisHawks4u
Sounds reasonable,.. I wonder what they'll do when the choice become go back to the office or starve..
It’s going to be really interesting to see what companies do coming out of all this. There are, of course, positions that need to be in-person/on-site: many service jobs, construction, equipment operators, laboratories, most types of medicine, etc. There are also companies that function on tight collaboration that’s best done in person.

Some jobs won’t change. In other cases, though, you have back office functions for companies that are geographically dispersed where a good chunk of the day is spent on calls and doing solo work. A lot of that can be done remotely and, if done well, could benefit everyone by allowing it to be remote - companies can save money on office space and employees can have more work/life balance.

On the whole, the idea that employees can’t be trusted to do work unless directly seen by the watchful eyes of a micro-manager has been blown to bits. Many different types of companies saw productivity increases during the full remote phases of COVID.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what companies do coming out of all this. There are, of course, positions that need to be in-person/on-site: many service jobs, construction, equipment operators, laboratories, most types of medicine, etc. There are also companies that function on tight collaboration that’s best done in person.

Some jobs won’t change. In other cases, though, you have back office functions for companies that are geographically dispersed where a good chunk of the day is spent on calls and doing solo work. A lot of that can be done remotely and, if done well, could benefit everyone by allowing it to be remote - companies can save money on office space and employees can have more work/life balance.

On the whole, the idea that employees can’t be trusted to do work unless directly seen by the watchful eyes of a micro-manager has been blown to bits. Many different types of companies saw productivity increases during the full remote phases of COVID.

Yup, it 'll be interesting. I have an old coworker who moved on to a company in the area a couple years back, they requested everyone back in the office months ago and are now rethinking that. They've already lost their top developers and business analysts to another company out of state that offered full time remote and more $. That's kind how our new hires are occurring. Technology is always changing and can now recruit people outside of the area already knowledgeable in it vs having to spend $ to train someone from scratch.

If you're a crappy employee that wastes time, it doesn't matter if home or in the office. Can waste just as much time in the office 'looking busy' when you aren't doing jack just as you can at home.

Now if rural areas/states would do a full-court press in trying to get high speed internet widely available out in the sticks, they just might be able to save themselves from further rural decline. I'm quite positive there's a fair amount of people who live near cities rather than out in the country or small towns by necessity, not desire.

Of course, their politicians will be too stupid to actually do this.

Now if rural areas/states would do a full-court press in trying to get high speed internet widely available out in the sticks, they just might be able to save themselves from further rural decline. I'm quite positive there's a fair amount of people who live near cities rather than out in the country or small towns by necessity, not desire.

Actually the politicians have been addressing this for quite some time. Look into some if the rural broadband initiatives pushed by the USDA and your rural cooperatives.

Reactions: mstp1992

That would be too much like a handout. This is why our infrastructure sucks.

Actually the politicians have been addressing this for quite some time. Look into some if the rural broadband initiatives pushed by the USDA and your rural cooperatives.
They have been saying they have but in reality the money goes very quickly to large market players with very little responsibility to actually offer true “high speed”. We need a national standard of what that means, a certain percentage have 50/100 MBps at least.
Cooperatives are doing increasingly good work in this area though, much like electrification to rural communities in the 30’s and 40’s

Starlink and other satellite internet projects may be the answer and cheaper than infrastructure buildouts in the long run.

Reactions: General Tso
Think of the effect on rural areas with telecommuting and the middle and upper class people, and incomes, moving into rural areas. It will also put pressure on raising wages nationwide as locality adjustments go away. If I'm doing the same work from Sioux Falls as somebody on my team in Boston I won't accept less pay just because another team member chooses to live in a high cost area.

Got the email Tuesday that we start to go back July 12th in stages and be fully back by the end of July...WFH or hybrid is not an option to "preserve the culture" of the company...total BS...

• Sad
Reactions: mattymoknows
Got the email Tuesday that we start to go back July 12th in stages and be fully back by the end of July...WFH or hybrid is not an option to "preserve the culture" of the company...total BS...
I’ll be curious how much of their staff and organizational knowledge they’re able to preserve. People have more options today than they did pre-COVID. If I was in a business that could support remote work, I’d very much enjoy poaching talent from other businesses that refuse to evolve.

I’ll be curious how much of their staff and organizational knowledge they’re able to preserve. People have more options today than they did pre-COVID. If I was in a business that could support remote work, I’d very much enjoy poaching talent from other businesses that refuse to evolve.

Gonna be interesting over the next couple of months...to not even have hybrid as an option just floors me...especially for my department- we aren't customer facing- they answer phone calls/emails all day and look things up on the Internet...AND HALF MY TEAM WILL BE IN AN OFFICE IN ANOTHER STATE...

No reason my team couldn't be remote like we've proven we could be the past year+...it would also open up my labor pool nationwide instead of limiting it to whoever is willing to drive/bus into a not so great neighborhood in the city..

I've been WFH for about 18 years and love it and never plan to go back. I love the freedom to fart, burp, pick my nose, and just plain not shower for weeks. Even if they forced me I would imagine they're send me home quickly. I'm what some of you will be in 18 years. It's good to be the king.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5
I log in around 7am and log out around 6 or 7pm when dinner is ready 5 days a week, plus Saturday or Sunday as needed...

But I get paid for 40 hours a week regardless...

You didn’t answer the question. Actual work, not time “logged in”.

I have a question for those of you working from home. Is your employer somehow tracking your working hours or are you on the honor system. I have a sister-in-law (no pics) who works for the government from home. It seems she’s always doing something during working hours not related to work. Please be honest unless your boss is watching.

Working hours are not tracked but productivity metrics are. The higher you are on the totem pole, the more productive you’ve been since the transition to wfh. The lower you are on the totem pole, the more unproductive you’ve been in comparison to being in the office. Everybody is not more productive, despite what they will tell you.

I was told last week that I’d be expected to be in the office 2 days a week starting 7/1 and I told them to not worry about getting my office set back up (I guess they loaded a bunch of crap in it last March) because I’ll take another job that’s 100% remote before 7/1. Retention is going to be a major problem in some industries where the baby boomer generation refuses to adjust to the new normal

And that response tells us what we need to know. No one is truly working every second they are logged in. It is simply not reality.
I only know of one person that’s WFH and I’m pretty certain she’s not working 40 hours. She gets defensive if you ask her if she’s off work when you see her at a time she would normally be working. Ironically she works for the federal government.

I only know of one person that’s WFH and I’m pretty certain she’s not working 40 hours. She gets defensive if you ask her if she’s off work when you see her at a time she would normally be working. Ironically she works for the federal government.

Heck, most people in an office aren’t working 40 hours/week.

It is fine, but don’t spit the BS, “”When I’m logged in, I’m working” line. He is posting on a message board during working hours. I don’t care what he does, but that disproves his spin.

Those working from home are you Over or Under 40 hours a week actually working?

Over 40. My office is right off the family room and I wonder in all the time (night and day) and do work. But I actually love what I do so it's easy for me wonder in.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
And that response tells us what we need to know. No one is truly working every second they are logged in. It is simply not reality.
Agreed but depends on what line of work one is in. I'm logged in 40 hours a week but no, not working all 40 hours nor are we expected to be. 6 hrs a day is productivity goal used at my employer. You're going to have meetings, waiting to hear from others to troubleshoot an issue, waiting for code to compile, queries to run, someone to approve code etc. All that stuff isn't considered being 'productive' but is part of the workday

There are people in the office that don't work. What about people who take smoking breaks every hour. Some people take a 2 hour lunch, some spend time in the bathroom, and some just spend all day talking. People who don't want to work will find a way to not work, no matter if they're in an office or at home.

I always find it funny when people get mad about others possibly not working 40 hours. If you're worried so much about others, I guarantee you're not doing your own job.

There are people in the office that don't work. What about people who take smoking breaks every hour. Some people take a 2 hour lunch, some spend time in the bathroom, and some just spend all day talking. People who don't want to work will find a way to not work, no matter if they're in an office or at home.

I always find it funny when people get mad about others possibly not working 40 hours. If you're worried so much about others, I guarantee you're not doing your own job.
If they’re in an office at least they’re not out getting their nails manicured or running errands to beat the rush hour.

Of course there are people in the office who don’t work 40. I’m not mad, rather I’m simply commenting about the chest thumping people do about the amount of time they work. This isn’t about me worrying, it is about calling out BS. It is an uniquely American mindset where we are so busy telling each other how busy we are.

I handle my job responsibilities just fine. Don’t you go worrying about me.

Of course there are people in the office who don’t work 40. I’m not mad, rather I’m simply commenting about the chest thumping people do about the amount of time they work. This isn’t about me worrying, it is about calling out BS. It is an uniquely American mindset where we are so busy telling each other how busy we are.

I handle my job responsibilities just fine. Don’t you go worrying about me.

Let me guess, your CEO is a 65+ white guy?

Heck, most people in an office aren’t working 40 hours/week.

It is fine, but don’t spit the BS, “”When I’m logged in, I’m working” line. He is posting on a message board during working hours. I don’t care what he does, but that disproves his spin.
Sorry you cant walk and chew gum at the same time...

I could care less if you work 5 hours a week or 50 hours a week. My only concern are you getting your projects done? Are you hitting or exceeding your goals? If you're getting the job done I don't care how much or little you work.

We have to get away from the punching time clock/making widgets mentality. This isn't a production line economy anymore.

I could care less if you work 5 hours a week or 50 hours a week. My only concern are you getting your projects done? Are you hitting or exceeding your goals? If you're getting the job done I don't care how much or little you work.

We have to get away from the punching time clock/making widgets mentality. This isn't a production line economy anymore.

REPEAL THE FLSA!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT