ADVERTISEMENT

Petras on the 2023 roster

jaysea21

HR All-State
Jan 11, 2002
I thought it was a matter of it being the 2022 roster still on hawkeyesports.com but it says 2023-2024 football roster. It also has incoming transfers listed on that roster. I keep hearing if Labas will be a quality back up. I still think if Petras is in play, Ferentzes will find a way to say he will give us the best chance or he knows our system better than the new comers or Labas. As a coach, why wasnt there a sit down and just say "Spencer, we are moving on, thank you for what you have done for the program, but we are moving forward."

Reactions: maquoketahawkeye
Probably a formality. Tudor role while wearing the #7 jersey. Plus his options to play outside of Iowa are quite slim. Stick around and be the next Ferentz OC.

Probably a formality. Tudor role while wearing the #7 jersey. Plus his options to play outside of Iowa are quite slim. Stick around and be the next Ferentz OC.
I figured as much, but dang...seems like its just asking for controversy. But all of this off season besides the newcomers has been laughable. Listen to footballscoop's podcast from yesterday (3/21). Iowa football is quite laughable to the national audience currently.

SpiritedArtisticAmphibian-size_restricted.gif

Don't render judgment until you see the latest Tony Racioppi guru clips. Spencer has progressed nicely, can make all the throws, grades out at the top of the scale,, and he can toss a football 70 yards while kneeling on a pile of banana peels.

Don't render judgment until you see the latest Tony Racioppi guru clips. Spencer has progressed nicely, can make all the throws, grades out at the top of the scale,, and he can toss a football 70 yards while kneeling on a pile of banana peels.
Next OC?

I thought it was a matter of it being the 2022 roster still on hawkeyesports.com but it says 2023-2024 football roster. It also has incoming transfers listed on that roster. I keep hearing if Labas will be a quality back up. I still think if Petras is in play, Ferentzes will find a way to say he will give us the best chance or he knows our system better than the new comers or Labas. As a coach, why wasnt there a sit down and just say "Spencer, we are moving on, thank you for what you have done for the program, but we are moving forward."
WHAT/ Well the final insult I guess...why doesn't Ferentz just adopt him, then he could stick around and teach all future qbs how to suck...This guy never had any business being on any football team beyond high school...if he takes even 1 snap consider it Ferentzs final slap in the face of the fans....LOSE HIM

I read he is a "player-coach". Spencer was quoted as saying he has played his last football game at Iowa. He still has eligibility so he's a dire emergency player.

The coaches always talked about his understanding of the game. Repeating what I said last night, it will be quite an irony if Spencer is one of those guys that knew what to do and couldn't but he can teach it to others with more talent and composure.

Had the SWARM been in place earlier, he likely wouldn't have been our QB last year considering the staff attempted to recruit several transfer QBs.
But many folks on the board here complain bitterly about the coaches not recruiting transfer QBs last year ... you're saying that those complaints are potentially without merit?

That's what I heard too. I have no worries about having Petras be our QB in '23 ... it ain't gonna happen.
I’d like to believe that but I don’t trust anything Ferentz does anymore. Petras should have been benched a couple of years ago yet he kept playing. Plus we all know Brian should be out of here but yet hes still coaching the offense.

Reactions: blhawk and DewHawk
Much ado over nothing. It would take an appearance of the AIQBHG for Petras to take a snap at anytime next season. Just chill folks. He will be a positive influence in the locker room, but nothing more.

Reactions: ichawk24
I don't understand the hate and fear about this young man. He seems like an outstanding kid that will do well in this world. He's not going to play, so why would anyone not want him around?

He's got a ton of experience - yeah, he didn't perform well but he certainly didn't have much help out there. I think he likely has a good understanding of what he was "supposed to do" but couldn't convert it on the playing field.

I think it's a plus to have him around.

He seems like he is a great teammate. It would be good to have him around one more year. Obviously, he would be accepting of a backup role if around.
Exactly. Everything that has been discussed about Petras over the years on this site, I have never heard anybody say that he was a bad kid or that his heart wasn't in the right place. He just wasn't good enough but that is not because he didn't give his best effort.

Maybe he loves being at Iowa, loves being around his teammates, and loves being a Hawkeye. If anything, this goes to his high character and just how selfless of a guy he is. I hope he has wonderful season contributing to the team as player-coach/backup. I don't doubt this is his first step towards a long coaching career.

Cade goes down game 1, rest of the year is the Spenaissance 2.0
i agree coz if cade caputs then bf will immediately quit and the only guy who can hit the ground running in middle of season as oc will be spencer petras. youngest oc in cfb, what a rush it will be.

Reactions: millah_22
If McNamara gets hurt,my fear is KF trots Petras out there. UGH. Spencer shouldn't even be on scholly anymore. Just take your ball and leave.

What happened to KF's "always open QB competition" to determine the starter? Seems he did this until Cade transferred, was part of that transfer language "I will come, but only if you guarantee me the starting position"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT