ADVERTISEMENT

Petras.

Or Peyton Mansell. Spring ball will tell a lot. Maybe decided during summer?

Yeah it's a weird feeling for us. It seems like most other schools start a new QB every year, but Iowa usually has their 2-3 year starters. I fully expect Petras to start, but who knows? I've read that Mansell is great too, but then there's also Hogan coming in (not that Kirk would ever start a true freshman). It'll be exciting for sure.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
So its set in stone after Kids day? Seems like a healthy competition in progress. These men came here to play.

You acknowledged only part of my statement. Listen to Brian Ferentz.

He's had a few press conferences where he's bragged about Petras' development. He said after Nebraska that he would have been very comfortable playing Petras if Stanley was hurt.

It's also telling when Petras beats out the more veteran Mansell for the backup spot.

BF has compared Petras to Stanley and if you recall, Stanley went without a redshirt because the staff were so impressed.

Petras has essentially been annointed by this staff.

What about the kid from CO- Padilla?

I'm sure he'll have something to say about it. He sort of gets lost in the shuffle during this discussion, but I'm sure he didn't come here with the intention of sitting the bench the entire time. Hawkeye fans were pretty excited to get him during the recruiting process, especially after he turned down Georgia's 11th hour push for him (just like DH).

I'm just hoping that there is a strong, fair competition among these men looking to lead what could be a very good team next year, with the best set of offensive skill players a new Iowa QB has ever had to work with.

Petras put up big numbers in high school, breaking records held by Jared Goff. From an article last year:

Petras knows about football culture. His high school, Marin Catholic, churns out double-digit season win totals as well as Division I quarterbacks. Four of the five varsity quarterbacks under head coach Mazi Moayed have gone on to play at Power 5 conferences, including California's Jared Goff, who is currently third this season in the NFL in passing yards. The others are Petras, Morgan Mahalak (Oregon before transferring to Towson), and Chris Tewhill (Oregon).

"There is a strong tradition there, mainly because of my head coach," Petras said. "He is outstanding at what he does, demands a lot out of his program, and it shows. We have had a lot of success there and I was blessed to be able to go there and play for him."

In two seasons with Petras as starting quarterback, Marin Catholic won 23 of 27 games. While Goff was the No. 1 selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, he sits below Petras in the high school record book. Petras holds Marin records with 502 passing yards in a game, 4,157 passing yards in a season, five touchdown passes in a game, and 50 touchdown passes in a season.

You acknowledged only part of my statement. Listen to Brian Ferentz.

He's had a few press conferences where he's bragged about Petras' development. He said after Nebraska that he would have been very comfortable playing Petras if Stanley was hurt.

It's also telling when Petras beats out the more veteran Mansell for the backup spot.

BF has compared Petras to Stanley and if you recall, Stanley went without a redshirt because the staff were so impressed.

Petras has essentially been annointed by this staff.
I doubt many coaches would say "i don't trust the backups, they're kinda iffy".
That said, seems like he could be a good one. Time will tell!

He hasn't won the job yet, I am guessing he might have a slight edge right now but the comp will be decided in the Spring likely unless there isn't huge separation then it could move into early Fall camp.

Reactions: O-townHawkstar
He hasn't won the job yet, I am guessing he might have a slight edge right now but the comp will be decided in the Spring likely unless there isn't huge separation then it could move into early Fall camp.

according to today’s article in The Athletic Petras....”clearly won the backup job”.
We shall see ....all our QBs are very good and all bring needed talents to our roster. Time will tell. Go Hawks!

according to today’s article in The Athletic Petras....”clearly won the backup job”.
We shall see ....all our QBs are very good and all bring needed talents to our roster. Time will tell. Go Hawks!

Yeah they decided to go with him this year as the backup but I don't remember a time when there is a QB job open that it isn't a competition. They won't just hand it to him and say it's his. But I think this is a very talented QB room. The two youngest were offered by Georgia, Padilla and Hogan.

I doubt many coaches would say "i don't trust the backups, they're kinda iffy".
That said, seems like he could be a good one. Time will tell!

The point is BF has made numerous comments about how well Petras has developed over two years and comparing him to Stanley. I don't recall the same for Mansell or Padilla.

The point is BF has made numerous comments about how well Petras has developed over two years and comparing him to Stanley. I don't recall the same for Mansell or Padilla.

Well at the beginning of the season I believe both KF and BF said they would be comfortable with either backup playing. And O'Keefe said Padilla picked up the offense faster than any Freshman QB he has had.

Well at the beginning of the season I believe both KF and BF said they would be comfortable with either backup playing. And O'Keefe said Padilla picked up the offense faster than any Freshman QB he has had.

Kirk is not known for picking a younger player over a more veteran one out of camp.

Goodson and LaPorta had to wait their turns.

The fact Petras beat out a more seasoned vet is telling that the camp battle wasn't as even as suggested. Kirk typically defers to the vets like he did starting Schulte over Nixon and Hesse over AJ.

Reactions: mariner67
I fully expect Petras to be the starter, and I think either Mansell or Padilla could each be a very good option if Petras were not at Iowa.

Petras appears to be the least mobile, but has the best arm and best understanding of the offense. Seems like he fits the same mold as Stanley. Time will tell about his consistency. Stanley, at times, looked like an all american but struggled with consistency. I think Petras has a bit of an advantage by being on campus for 2 years before starting, and while in high school he passed the ball all over the field (he averaged ~47 pass attempts per game his senior year compared to Stanley's ~15 per game).

With all the receivers, running backs, and an emerging Sam Laporta at TE returning next year, whoever the starting QB is will have a lot of weapons to work with.

Kirk is not known for picking a younger player over a more veteran one out of camp.

The fact Petras beat out a more seasoned vet is telling that the camp battle wasn't as even as suggested. Kirk typically defers to the vets like he did starting Schulte over Nixon and Hesse over AJ.
While that's Kirk's pattern, Stanley was the #2 guy as a true freshman, beating out the previous year's #2, Wiegers, who was in his third season.

Reactions: CarterHall
My guess is Petras starting and Padilla as the backup with Mansell transferring and Hogan Redshirting.

This seems most likely, with maybe even Hogan pushing for backup throughout fall camp/season. Sucks when guys transfer out, but at the QB position, I get it.

Gives a guy like a Mansell a few years in a new, fresh spot. Speaks to the talent in the QB room too.

That’s not true.

I fully expect Petras to be the starter, and I think either Mansell or Padilla could each be a very good option if Petras were not at Iowa.

Petras appears to be the least mobile, but has the best arm and best understanding of the offense. Seems like he fits the same mold as Stanley. Time will tell about his consistency. Stanley, at times, looked like an all american but struggled with consistency. I think Petras has a bit of an advantage by being on campus for 2 years before starting, and while in high school he passed the ball all over the field (he averaged ~47 pass attempts per game his senior year compared to Stanley's ~15 per game).

With all the receivers, running backs, and an emerging Sam Laporta at TE returning next year, whoever the starting QB is will have a lot of weapons to work with.

"The ball makes a distinctive whoosh sound coming out of Petras’ hand few quarterbacks can replicate."

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spo...hool-coach-john-elway/eCAZfLBGAzKy1ngEnkt0CP/

"The ball makes a distinctive whoosh sound coming out of Petras’ hand few quarterbacks can replicate."

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spo...hool-coach-john-elway/eCAZfLBGAzKy1ngEnkt0CP/
Such articles generate expectations that frequently go into the stratosphere and subsequent disappointment even if the player produces at a high level. If Petras in his year one turns out as good as Stanley was as a senior, that would actually be a good thing but widespread reading of that article might get Petras categorized as a bust. :)

Reactions: kceasthawk
Such articles generate expectations that frequently go into the stratosphere and subsequent disappointment even if the player produces at a high level. If Petras in his year one turns out as good as Stanley was as a senior, that would actually be a good thing but widespread reading of that article might get Petras categorized as a bust. :)
That coach is 39 and 4 overall and coached Jared Goff. Maybe he knows something? Where the comparison to Elway comes in IDK? Maybe he just sees it, like how some people see Stanley has somewhat comparables to Rothlesburger? It is hard to not get excited about Petras after reading that glowing review, and obviously, Petras is going to know about this kind of press, so he knows this is floating around out there. Buuuuuut yeah, pressure.

I will, however, be bursting with anticipation by the time next year comes around. It could be another very special year.

Last edited:
That coach is 39 and 4 overall and coached Jared Goff. Maybe he knows something? Where the comparison to Elway comes in IDK? Maybe he just sees it, like how some people see Stanley has somewhat comparables to Rothlesburger? It is hard to not get excited about Petras after reading that glowing review, and obviously, Petras is going to know about this kind of press, so he knows this is floating around out there. Buuuuuut yeah, pressure.

I will, however, be bursting with anticipation by the time next year comes around. It could be another very special year.

12 - 0.

But can he get 8 yards on a QB sneak?

Sounds like he has downfield accuracy and the confidence to make the throws. I liked this quote from him: “For me if a vertical is there you have to take it,” Petras told Land of 10 in December. “You don’t get a lot of opportunities to make a big play and when they come up it’s important to execute.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT