ADVERTISEMENT

PJ leverages UCLA

It’s bit more prestigious than TCM Bank Stadium or whatever it’s called...The Rose Bowl is The Rose Bowl. Name me 5 great football stadiums...I bet the Rose Bowl gets more mentions than where the Goooofs play.
I agree. I think other than Northwestern TCF is the smallest stadium in the Big 10

Hook, line, and sinker for PJ. He's never made the B1G championship and didn't even make a bowl game the legitimate way this year, they were able to get in on a technicality. Not really sure what Minnesota sees in him
Great news for the Hawks! He’s an average coach. I’m somewhat surprised he didn’t consider UCLA since he’s been complaining about Minnesota fans not supporting their NIL

PJ has obviously been paying attention to how other coaches play the game. Personally, I’d have let him go, if that’s what he told his AD (boss).
I think one of Bump’s biggest mistakes as AD was letting Hayden leverage a raise out of UIowa back in the mid-80’s when he said “USC wanted him” as their coach. It’s a calculated black-mail move. If I were the AD and my coach approached me like this, I’d have wished him “good luck” at his new position and referred to “my short list” that all ADs supposedly carry around on their person.
Hayden might have been successful in LA and who knows...maybe someone like Barry A or Bill Snyder would have stayed to coach football at UIowa?
In short...all coaches are expendable.
Iowa's offense was never the same after Snyder left for KSU. I wish Fry would have taken the job and Snyder took over at Iowa.

I think everything has changed in this NIL world and what was once thought to be a headliner job may not be anymore. UCLA has no money and sure there are a lot of talent out there, but all of that talent will be looking for a payday. IMO, the long-lasting B1G programs will be OSU, Mich, PSU, Oregon, then second tier of USC, Iowa, Wash, Wisky and there is everyone else. An opening in one of those tiers would be much more advantageous for Fleck to jump, although much like Campbell, they are not at the peak like they once looked to be.

Iowa's offense was never the same after Snyder left for KSU. I wish Fry would have taken the job and Snyder took over at Iowa.
IIRC, Hayden promoted from within. But Hayden called the plays, so it might have been difficult to hire an OC from the outside, and it might not have mattered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT