ADVERTISEMENT

Play/game/referee call that made you the most angry as Hawk Fan...

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
  • Entire Outback Bowl vs. Florida (still have never seen a player get a facemask call when HIS helmet was the one ripped off)
  • Michigan blackout game '05, various missed calls and a crucial phantom whistle wiped out an Iowa fumble recovery
  • Iowa WR reverse pass vs. TX in 2006 Alamo Bowl. We are the most cautious, traditional team ever on offense (at least then!) and all of a sudden we call THAT play in THAT situation, probably needing only 20 yards for a game winning FG? Wow, epic fail there. Okay, the motion penalty on Chandler took a TD off the board and it was marginal at best
What else ya got?

Eubanks “hold” against Northwestern in ‘09, and the non facemask call when Stanzi got hurt in the same game.

I was pretty pissed this year when I thought they weren’t going to call Jones getting tackled against ISU
Agree on both calls against Northwestern.
Also the hold that called back Daniels run against ND St.

I'll go with 2009 at Ohio State. KF chose to take a knee and play for OT. There is absolutely no defending it, and I'll be happy to knock any arguments over like the little dominoes they are...

This is the quintessential example of the KFz "playing-not-to-lose" mentality

I'll go with 2009 at Ohio State. KF chose to take a knee and play for OT. There is absolutely no defending it, and I'll be happy to knock any arguments over like the little dominoes they are...

This. The logic playing for overtime was ridiculous. Nobody wins at The Horseshoe, certainly nobody wins in overtime. You roll the dice and play for the win in that situation. This is the only real stain on the Ferentz legacy. Has they won that game, they likely would’ve beaten Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

All good posts here, but the ones that impact whether or not a team wins a championship are more impactful to me. Yes, Outback Bowl in 2005 was grievous, but in the end was just a not-meaningful bowl game.

Mine would be the Bobby Olive TD on the last play against Ohio State in 1990. Iowa ended up in the Rose Bowl, but that was a devastating loss. Iowa dominated OSU statistically, but managed to lose that game. That game also featured a TD at the end of the first half where a sure INT bounced off the shoulder pads of Merton Hanks and went to I believe Olive for a TD.

Iowa was 7-1 at the time, ranked 6th in the country. Would have likely put Iowa into the Top 5in the country. Also cost Iowa an undisputed title rather than sharing it with Michigan.

Wisconsin's fake punt a few years back. (2014, I believe). Everyone with a functioning brain knew they weren't going to punt given the score, time left, timeouts they had and field position. The situational awareness of that play was so bad that it was one of the most embarrassing plays I've ever witnessed. The entire north endzone was screaming that they were going to fake it. Hell, the punt even pointed to one of the upmen before the snap on who to block. And yet, the entire team just turn their backs to the punter and ran back to set up a return. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisconsin's fake punt a few years back. (2014, I believe). Everyone with a functioning brain knew they weren't going to punt given the score, time left, timeouts they had and field position. The situational awareness of that play was so bad that it was one of the most embarrassing plays I've ever witnessed. The entire north endzone was screaming that they were going to fake it. Hell, the punt even pointed to one of the upmen before the snap on who to block. And yet, the entire team just turn their backs to the punter and ran back to set up a return. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was focusing on bad calls, but as mentioned earlier, the Bobby Olive game haunts me forever. There have been about four times in my life where Iowa clearly looked better than OSU on the field. 1990 was one of them.

Akrum's TD waved off for high stepping. Akrum was always very humble (imo) and shows an ounce of emotion/excitement and the idiot official injects himself into the game.
That whole game was terribly officiated. N TX was a bunch of thugs, multiple late hits, chippiness and personal fouls. Referees fully inserted themselves into that game to make a point, I thought the whole crew thought they were Teddy Valentine. That call on Akrum was bush league, as was the call that year on the LSU punter who scored on a fake punt for TD.

Yikes, how could I forget about that, horrible, horrible...

2002 Iowa State. Hawks had it rolling in the 2nd qtr and the Clowns were on their heels. Coach runs out the first half - with plenty of time-timeouts left
and up 24-7.

I was pissed off and told everybody at our Hawkeye party that it would come back to haunt them......and it did :mad:

Reactions: Niko13
I have a different take than most. In no way have I ever seen a game where the officials lost a game for Iowa. The Hawks have always had other chances.

Sure there have been a few calls that didnt go Iowa's way, but people always seem to forget when Iowa gets a call.

• Entire Outback Bowl vs. Florida (still have never seen a player get a facemask call when HIS helmet was the one ripped off)
  • Michigan blackout game '05, various missed calls and a crucial phantom whistle wiped out an Iowa fumble recovery
  • Iowa WR reverse pass vs. TX in 2006 Alamo Bowl. We are the most cautious, traditional team ever on offense (at least then!) and all of a sudden we call THAT play in THAT situation, probably needing only 20 yards for a game winning FG? Wow, epic fail there. Okay, the motion penalty on Chandler took a TD off the board and it was marginal at best
What else ya got?

What else ya got?
Actually the call was that Chandler was an ineligible receiver because the wide receiver covered him but if you look at the replay Chandler is lined up 1 yd. behind the line of scrimmage, therefore a complete bogus call.

Actually the call was that Chandler was an ineligible receiver because the wide receiver covered him but if you look at the replay Chandler is lined up 1 yd. behind the line of scrimmage, therefore a complete bogus call.
Then Tate throws an interception. TD taken away. Just about a sure 3 to nothing.

Last edited:
I have a different take than most. In no way have I ever seen a game where the officials lost a game for Iowa. The Hawks have always had other chances.

Sure there have been a few calls that didnt go Iowa's way, but people always seem to forget when Iowa gets a call.

I would agree with this completely if it weren't for the '06 Outback Bowl. That was an entire game of ridiculous call after ridiculous call. It's really a testament to Iowa's team that they still had a chance to win that game by recovering an on-sides kick....which they did....but they didn't....

Weird this thread shows up now. For whatever reason, Ol' Doodle had a flashback just this morning to how unreasonably (in hindsight anyway) mad Doodle got when Matt Sherman threw the INT to Sam Sword at Michigan in 1997. We had the eventual national champs on the ropes and still had a chance to win until that boneheaded play.

The loss, which was sealed on that play, was also really the beginning of the end for JHF's Hall of Fame coaching career.

You are more than welcome to state your case. I doubt you will, but please, feel free...

We had a freshman QB making his first career start on the road and had already looked shaky as hell in the second half. He had thrown 2 picks prior to OT, had another that should have been picked that Moeaki turned into a circus catch and had a pick 6 negated by a neutral zone infraction by an OSU DL.

KF chose to lean on our defense and play for OT, after running a draw play on the 1st play of our last drive in regulation to see if he could get a decent gain out of it and then try and win.

I like our chances with our D in OT then asking a guy making his first career start in the Shoe to lead the team down against a defense that ended up 5th in the nation in scoring defense only, giving up less than 13 PPG.

We had a freshman QB making his first career start on the road and had already looked shaky as hell in the second half. He had thrown 2 picks prior to OT, had another that should have been picked that Moeaki turned into a circus catch and had a pick 6 negated by a neutral zone infraction by an OSU DL.

Same QB had to play for Iowa in OT. At least with 53 seconds left in the 4th quarter, Iowa could dictate the action and potentially have a game winning FG attempt. But regardless, you've got the same Iowa QB playing in OT with a lot more pressure on his shoulders.

There is absolutely no defending it.

Same QB had to play for Iowa in OT. At least with 53 seconds left in the 4th quarter, Iowa could dictate the action and potentially have a game winning FG attempt. But regardless, you've got the same Iowa QB playing in OT with a lot more pressure on his shoulders.

There is absolutely no defending it.

Yes, the same QB but he gets to start every OT period on the opponents 25 yard line with a 1st and 10.

JVB would have needed to move the ball approximately 40 yards in 50 seconds with only 1 timeout left in the bag to win on our last possession in regulation.

There is defending it. It didnt work out in the Shoe that day but to say there is no defending it is just hindsight being 20/20.

Reactions: JupiterHawk

KF chose to lean on our defense and play for OT, after running a draw play on the 1st play of our last drive in regulation to see if he could get a decent gain out of it and then try and win.

I like our chances with our D in OT then asking a guy making his first career start in the Shoe to lead the team down against a defense that ended up 5th in the nation in scoring defense only, giving up less than 13 PPG.

KF himself, in a rare moment of unguarded honesty, was quoted last year as saying if he had it to do over, he'd have gone for the win instead of playing for OT. He said that decision is one of his biggest coaching regrets. So there's that.

If that is the case, then wouldn't we have had too many men in the backfield?

Eubanks “hold” against Northwestern in ‘09, and the non facemask call when Stanzi got hurt in the same game.
At the time, I was pissed but those calls ended up mattering less since we decided to let the game in cbus slip away.

There have been bad calls that left you questioning the coach or refs, but If you're talking about the most frustrated then it's the entire Outback bowl game, because that entire game was nothing but frustration of terrible calls and quite honestly an obvious showing of the officials forcing the game to Florida.... That was the only game where you ever heard the announcers audibly frustrated with the refs, Speilman sounded like he was about to run out on the field and deck one of those refs.... seriously, go back and watch the youtube video and you'll wonder how much those refs got paid off

Greenway called offsides on the onside kick. I was about 22 rows up from the play. I’m not proud of this, but I lost my shit in the stands. I was about 25 years old at the time.

The @minnesota game where they played on the ice. It seemed like the only person who came to play was DJK. That game still makes me angry.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

You trust that QB to go 25 yards in OT for a TD but not 30 yards in regulation for the game winning FG? Btw, Kirk himself has said that call is one of two he really regrets.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I’m with ya Pepperman. I have never quite forgiven KF for that one

Reactions: Pepperman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT