ADVERTISEMENT

Police arrest suspect in case that led to fatal Amir Locke shooting

Apr 18, 2021
Buckhead GA
Minnesota police have arrested a 17-year-old suspect in a murder investigation which led to the fatal shooting of Amir Locke, the Saint Paul Police Department said Tuesday. The suspect, identified as Mekhi Camden Speed, is a cousin of Locke, according to charging documents obtained by CBS Minnesota.

Police arrested Speed on Monday afternoon. He was expected to be charged on Tuesday with two counts of second degree murder for allegedly shooting and killing 38-year-old Otis Elder last month, the police department said.

Authorities were carrying out three no-knock warrants at an apartment building in Minneapolis last week, looking for Speed, when they shot and killed Locke. Now, Tuesday's charging documents are shedding more light on the two shooting deaths.

On January 10, authorities responded to an address on Prior Avenue in St. Paul and found Elder on the ground near a 2001 Chevy Tahoe with gunshot wounds. Several witnesses told police that they had seen a male standing outside of the SUV allegedly shoot into the vehicle. One witness saw a silver Mercedes-Benz speed away.

Authorities reviewed surveillance video, and found a scene nearly identical to the one witnesses had described: a light Mercedes-Benz pulled up next to Elder's SUV. One male got into the passenger seat, another stood outside of the driver's side door. The male outside of the car, dressed in a dark jacket, light-colored hooded sweatshirt and white shoes, shot into it before the two males ran back to their Mercedes-Benz.

Police tracked the car's movements that night. It went to the Bolero Flats apartment building in Minneapolis, where it parked, left and then returned again. Video footage allegedly shows three males get out of the car, two of whom appeared to be from the murder scene.

Witnesses at the apartment complex were able to identify the male in the light-colored hooded sweatshirt as Speed. The building's staff told authorities that Speed had access to his brother's apartment, his mother's apartment and another person who he was with the night of the murder's apartment.

Nearly two weeks after the murder, police found the Mercedes-Benz on a parking ramp in Minneapolis. Surveillance video of the ramp showed the Mercedes-Benz driving onto the ramp four hours after Elder's murder. Four males got out of the car and took items from the trunk. One of them carried a large black duffle bag with a white logo. Authorities determined one of the males was Speed.

With this evidence, police were able to obtain search warrants for the three different Bolero Flats apartments Speed was associated with. The Saint Paul Police Department said Tuesday that the warrants related to the case will "likely be unsealed after charges have been filed."

Early Wednesday morning, a SWAT team executed one of the warrants. Video of the raid showed someone — later identified as Locke, a 22-year-old Black man — wrapped in a blanket on a couch in the apartment. Officers shouted at Locke to show his hands and to get on the ground. Locke, who was a legal gun owner, then sat up with a gun before he was shot.

During the raid, police obtained a jacket suspected to be Speed's, a bullet, Locke's gun and marijuana from the apartment.
That same morning, authorities conducted two separate warrants at apartments where Speed was suspected to be, but the teen was not present at either location. Officials seized a hat, duffle bag, tennis shoes, pants and another jacket suspected to be Speed's, as well as a "large amount of marijuana from the apartment," charging documents stated.

From you earlier in this thread: “Could have avoided the no knock warrants, and the police killing just as many people as were murdered by the suspect”
Thank you. A mistake. Allegedly murdered.

Damn. I didn't know Locke had a cousin that was a murder suspect. I guess that makes his killing okay.

Do we really want to expect police to not shoot people who have relatives that are criminals?

Alert... if any of you reading this have ever had a relative commit a violent crime... your days are numbered.

Check your will to make sure that you have the correct beneficiaries listed.

RIP in pieces.
I'm guessing the police couldn't give a shit if they were relatives. I'm guessing the pertinent fact is the gun being pulled. Just spitballing though.

You guys may be right. Maybe the cops stopped time in that 9 seconds and had a conversation with the guy pulling the gun on them to see who he is related to. Did anyone check if the cops had any temporal equipment with them?

Reactions: abby97 and SIXERS24
I'm guessing the police couldn't give a shit if they were relatives. I'm guessing the pertinent fact is the gun being pulled. Just spitballing though.

You guys may be right. Maybe the cops stopped time in that 9 seconds and had a conversation with the guy pulling the gun on them to see who he is related to. Did anyone check if the cops had any temporal equipment with them?

Take it up with the OP that bolded that detail in the article like it was an important fact.

Cops are counting on being exonerated by some conservative judge.

You know, shoot first/ask questions later.

You're in your house and someone comes busting through the door while you're sleeping without warning and it's your fault you grabbed a gun to protect yourself? In Florida, that's called the Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground.

Reactions: Finance85
A gun was exposed. Not pointed.

To me, there's a difference. But I'm not some gun loving, redneck conservative.
Neither am I but I don't expect a cop to have someone pull a gun on them in a situation like that and not do anything.
Again the argument here should be on the no knock warrant and the broad societal attitude that a gun should be on you at all times.
I look at a no knock warrant like carrying a gun in a bar or to a sporting event. Sometimes those situations lead to poor outcomes.
With that being said; I do think that a no knock warrant serves a purpose but it should always be a last resort in extreme cases.

You're in your house and someone comes busting through the door while you're sleeping without warning and it's your fault you grabbed a gun to protect yourself? In Florida, that's called the Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground.
Its just so astonishing to me that these 2nd amenedment wonks and the nra are not outraged by this

Seems like when they have 3 separate locations to search, because of uncertainty of where the suspect might be, that would automatically invalidate the use of no-knock warrants. Also, if the purpose of a no knock warrant is to preserve evidence, that really doesn't apply to a person. Suspects aren't going to flush themselves down the toilet.

I've read this multiple times, and I'm not sure what your point is, or why you think 2A supporters aren't outraged.

the biggest ammosexuals on this board are fine with a person being gunned down within 9 seconds of people entering a home just and woke up from a sleep and going for their gun just because the people entering were cops.

the nra sure hasnt spoken out about a person being gunned down with their firearm when he was woken up by rhose enterint the home

the biggest ammosexuals on this board are fine with a person being gunned down within 9 seconds of people entering a home just and woke up from a sleep and going for their gun just because the people entering were cops.

the nra sure hasnt spoken out about a person being gunned down with their firearm when he was woken up by rhose enterint the home
Do tell. I'm probably among the top 10 2A supporters here. I don't think it's fine.

I don't support the NRA, but I also don't expect them to speak out about every incident, especially one that isn't completely cut and dried, and on the surface appears lawful.

In this case, the shooting appears lawful. As Lucas said, that doesn't make it right though.

The problem isn't 2A, it's 4A.

Is it? It's not like it was a white dude pointing a gun at protesters on his lawn. This was a black guy. NRA don't care about them.
Are you aware that black women are the largest growing segment of new gun owners?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT