ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: How Much Control Does POTUS Have Over the Economy?

How Much Control Does POTUS Have Over the Economy?

• Almost total control. POTUS decisions result in a good or bad economy

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Substantial control - but other factors also have an impact that are not in his/her control

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Some control - but other factors have a bigger impact.

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Very little or no control - the economy goes where is goes pretty much on it's own.

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

Hawk_4shur

HB Legend
Jan 2, 2009
Presidents are usually measured by the Economy. In fact, it is pretty much the most important measuring stick in an election.

But, the US is part of a global economy that can, and usually does, have a big impact on the US. We have millions of businesses and 330 million people making financial decisions every day that have an impact on the economy. The Fed controls interest rates. Congress passes, or doesn't pass, legislation.

So, how much control do you think POTUS has over the economy?

Correct me of I'm wrong but doesn't he set gas and grocery prices. Pretty upset with how he decided to price Doritos if I'm being honest.
regardless of whether a potus actually has direct control or not of dorito prices, i expect the leader of a country to be able to direct/guide things in a salubrious direction. otherwise what's the point of having a leader.
kirk may or may not be accountable for every dropped pass but he sure as hell needs to direct the program to a favorable w-l record.
such are my simplistic expectations

Reactions: Moral
Presidents are usually measured by the Economy. In fact, it is pretty much the most important measuring stick in an election.

But, the US is part of a global economy that can, and usually does, have a big impact on the US. We have millions of businesses and 330 million people making financial decisions every day that have an impact on the economy. The Fed controls interest rates. Congress passes, or doesn't pass, legislation.

So, how much control do you think POTUS has over the economy?
I think the main “control” or “impact” the POTUS has on the economy largely relates to enhancing or harming consumer confidence. If people are confident in the president’s leadership skills and overall policies (such as tax and spending policies) then they will continue purchasing non-essentials, therefore increasing business incomes.

I’m going to say something unprecedented in the history of HORT:

I don’t know.

No idea what levers the President has or doesn’t have and what he or she can control or influence. I’m not an expert, and wouldn’t begin to know how to speculate on such matters. I eagerly await education by everyone here who has undoubtedly studied presidential economic powers as a side hobby in between managing outsized portfolios and banging outsized members of the opposite sex.

Carry on.

President's have the same influence on the economy as my preference for cocks in my butt, slim and none.
Miranda Cosgrove Meme GIF

I’ve always valued foreign policy over economy when choosing a leader of the country. The president has a direct impact and decision making capabilities in foreign policy, but the economy has many more layers to it. Just my opinion.

More now than ever, apparently.

There's the budget of course, which is passed by Congress, but can be vetoed.

There's a ton of discretionary funding bills where the executive has a lot of control in how the funds are eventually allocated, like energy grants for example.

Regulations are the biggest current power and have a massive effect on the economy.

Some control.

Presidents have no problem taking credit for the economy and conversely they get the blame.

It is what it is...

Reactions: joelbc1
If the economy was a journey, all of our modern presidents have chosen the same road but with different colored cars.

Very little, the biggest influence on the economy the president has is his appointments to the fed.

Spending money can add a little to the economy if it's done via debt. Taxing and then spending just moves money around in the economy.

Very little, the biggest influence on the economy the president has is his appointments to the fed.

Spending money can add a little to the economy if it's done via debt. Taxing and then spending just moves money around in the economy.
That's a factor, but regulatory costs are massive, and becoming worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/waynec...ers-pegs-cost-of-regulation-at-3079-trillion/

https://www.thune.senate.gov/public...-pay-the-price-for-biden-s-regulatory-rampage

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I don't like the use of the word "CONTROL" vs "INFLUENCE". I think that control is low to moderate, but there is a heavy ability to influence with policies and now executive orders. So it is somewhere between the 2 options.

And assists in spreading out wealth throughout the economic spectrum without serious disruption. However, taxes are an awful like mosquito bites…the more one scratches them (talks about them), the more they itch (irritate the speaker)….

Got data from an unbiased source? I mean the national association of manufacturers probably has a stake in getting rid of regulations and John Thune is a politician.

And honestly I think we need more regulation. We've seen how companies act when you stop regulating them. Look at Boeing. Went from a slogan of "Working together" to "Do more with less" and see how that turned out? Now we got people purposefully trying to get on planes that were not manufactured by Boeing.

GM overlooked a technical fault in their vehicles that they knew was killing people.

I have zero trust in companies to "regulate themselves". They would sooner let a million people die than see their stock price go down 2%.

I'd also ask OP, if the President signs vs vetos bills from Congress, do you consider that Congress vs the President's impact?
Also, for changes in policy by departments (think EPA regulations imposed or changes in the FDA policy) do you consider that an impact that rolls up to the President? Because if an appointee changes policy that impacts areas they regulate and that impacts the economy, who gets "credit" ?

I'd submit the President ultimately. Same discussion on the Feds activities, that can have a substantial impact to the economy when rates are changed.

Last edited:
Correct me of I'm wrong but doesn't he set gas and grocery prices. Pretty upset with how he decided to price Doritos if I'm being honest.
If the prices are good, it has nothing to do with the President.
If the prices are high, it is 100% the President's fault.

At least that's what I learned in school on the Internet.

The President definitely has the ability to affect the playing field that the economy operates on, but it's hardly "control",.. More like trying to steer an elephant with a feather...

The last president grew the national debt by $8 trillion, just months before leaving office. Giving away all that free covid money. This made the dollar a lot less valuable and had a major impact on inflation.

But that president had a way of f_cking up everything.

We sure spend a lot of time discussing the economy and economic policies during the presidential debates for them to have "little to no".

I assume this poll has to be in response to the thread are you better off now than you were 4 years ago where a large number of folks said the president doesn’t make a lot of those decisions.
It’s weird that those same people mentioned the economy is better under Biden yet they also mentioned he doesn’t control gas and grocery prices.
The better poll question might be what does the president do and list off some lame things that anyone could do.

Got data from an unbiased source? I mean the national association of manufacturers probably has a stake in getting rid of regulations and John Thune is a politician.

And honestly I think we need more regulation. We've seen how companies act when you stop regulating them. Look at Boeing. Went from a slogan of "Working together" to "Do more with less" and see how that turned out? Now we got people purposefully trying to get on planes that were not manufactured by Boeing.

GM overlooked a technical fault in their vehicles that they knew was killing people.

I have zero trust in companies to "regulate themselves". They would sooner let a million people die than see their stock price go down 2%.
Every agency is supposed to, by law, evaluate the cost of regulation. I'm not sure how to get the consolidated information, and Thune may indeed be biased, but it's undeniable the impact under Biden is higher. I say that because one of his initial EO's was for every executive agency, environmental regulation was made to be the primary goal. Look no further than the auto industry and appliance industry to start.

I assume this poll has to be in response to the thread are you better off now than you were 4 years ago where a large number of folks said the president doesn’t make a lot of those decisions.
It’s weird that those same people mentioned the economy is better under Biden yet they also mentioned he doesn’t control gas and grocery prices.
The better poll question might be what does the president do and list off some lame things that anyone could do.
Yes, the poll is in response to the "better off" poll.

We measure Presidents by what happens while they are in office, regardless of anything they did to cause it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT