ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Economy Added 303,000 Jobs in March

And yet so many people seem to think the economy is in the tank…I honestly don’t get it.
Because it's Biden's fault that companies haven't lowered prices to pre-Covid levels before the supply chain fell apart and inflation went through the roof. I'm sure they would all be thrilled if he stepped in and dictated what the price of goods should be.

They don't understand what corporate greed is.

And yet so many people seem to think the economy is in the tank…I honestly don’t get it.
If you completely ignore the fact that consumer debt is nearing all-time highs, the gap between median income and median house prices being all-time worst, and US personal savings rate now worse than it was pre-covid.... Ya - economy is real great.

If you completely ignore the fact that consumer debt is nearing all-time highs, the gap between median income and median house prices being all-time worst, and US personal savings rate now worse than it was pre-covid.... Ya - economy is real great.
And how does a president control these?

Reactions: Torg
Because it's Biden's fault that companies haven't lowered prices to pre-Covid levels before the supply chain fell apart and inflation went through the roof. I'm sure they would all be thrilled if he stepped in and dictated what the price of goods should be.

They don't understand what corporate greed is.

And you clearly don’t understand basic economics.

So we're giving Biden credit for the good parts of the current economy, but the bad parts he is not responsible for - is that right?
The bad parts are bad because they just never went back to where they were before Covid. Things like the prices of goods. Actual inflation is down, the problem has been solved, but the consequences of the event still exist. There is nothing Biden can do about that short of dictating the price of goods, but for some reason the fact that corporations haven't chosen to take less profits (at our expense) is his fault.

Was that my question?
The difference between people like you and me is that you deflect any blame from Biden but give him credit for any positive. Unemployment and inflation have been trending in the right direction which is great - but you can't ignore consumers are hanging by a thread in higher debt levels and depleted savings, both worse than they were pre-covid.

. There is nothing Biden can do about that short of dictating the price of goods, but for some reason the fact that corporations haven't chosen to take less profits (at our expense) is his fault.
What industries had increased profits for 2023? Curious what you're referring to so I can look at their filings.

There’s a wide gulf between believing the economy is awful and the economy is “real great.”

The ones you listed aren’t great, I won’t disagree there, but there are also quite a few indicators that the economy is doing at least decently and doesn’t appear headed for a cliff as was predicted multiple times the last few years.

What industries had increased profits for 2023? Curious what you're referring to so I can look at their filings.

The difference between people like you and me is that you deflect any blame from Biden but give him credit for any positive. Unemployment and inflation have been trending in the right direction which is great - but you can't ignore consumers are hanging by a thread in higher debt levels and depleted savings, both worse than they were pre-covid.
You still can't even answer the basic question. What can a president do about the things you stated in that post?

Regarding Bartiromo and her comment...she just repeated what the Mpls Fed Governor said on Thursday.

Goldman disagreed with his POV and said three cuts are still likely.

These labor numbers, tho likely a bit overestimated, are really phenomenal.

The wage growth wouldn't be as high if Republicans would address immigration.

And Goldman was projecting 5 cuts in just 3 months ago. Just like many other firms/talking heads, no one knows what's going to happen there (i.e. Bostic/Atlanta Fed only expects one this year).

The jobs numbers are great. I'm only commenting on the potential of future interest rate cuts. Inflation AND employment numbers are what the Fed uses to ultimately decided where they want interest, not just one or the other.

Inflation seems to be coming under control, but we need to see a significant rise in the unemployment numbers before adding any gasoline to the economy. I personally don't have an issue with where the rates are right now. Why would the Fed lower rates when the economy seems to be doing fairly decent? If you want the rates lowered, you should be hoping for bad economic data (I'm not).

There’s a wide gulf between believing the economy is awful and the economy is “real great.”

The ones you listed aren’t great, I won’t disagree there, but there are also quite a few indicators that the economy is doing at least decently and doesn’t appear headed for a cliff as was predicted multiple times the last few years.
I mean many on the Right have been predicting a Recession non-stop since 2021. Three years later and still no recession and there isn't one on the near horizon. GDP growth is over 3% and unemployment is low.

I mean many on the Right have been predicting a Recession non-stop since 2021. Three years later and still no recession and there isn't one on the near horizon. GDP growth is over 3% and unemployment is low.

To be fair, virtually every economist and so called expert have been calling for a recession.

The reason that people are down on the economy, is pretty obvious Grocery Store Prices are astronomical compared to a few years ago.

Gas is heading back $4 or $5 because of the middle east.

That's what people see most famlies go to the Grocery Store once or twice a week.
Let them try it without a job. I have and it sucks.

To be fair, virtually every economist and so called expert have been calling for a recession.
A couple years ago, yes. But in the last year I have actually seen many walk that back and say we are not on the verge of one. Rs took an economist forecast in 2021 and have run with it since then.

I'm not saying this economy is the 90s but damn I just laugh at people like my neighbor who says this is the worst economy he's ever seen. How quickly people forget what it was like from 2008 - 2010.

I already have about 146 times. I’m not wasting my time. Go read an economics book or just go look at a supply and demand graph and read up on the money supply and what I’d has done the last 4 years.
So you agree with what I was saying. Weird that you would say that lacks a basic understanding of economics then. Policies put in place to deal with Covid, delays in implementing any policies, combined with a supply chain collapse creating scarcity of goods, caused run away inflation. Prices went up and now they aren't going back down because that's not what businesses do as long as people still buy those goods.

And Goldman was projecting 5 cuts in just 3 months ago. Just like many other firms/talking heads, no one knows what's going to happen there (i.e. Bostic/Atlanta Fed only expects one this year).

The jobs numbers are great. I'm only commenting on the potential of future interest rate cuts. Inflation AND employment numbers are what the Fed uses to ultimately decided where they want interest, not just one or the other.

Inflation seems to be coming under control, but we need to see a significant rise in the unemployment numbers before adding any gasoline to the economy. I personally don't have an issue with where the rates are right now. Why would the Fed lower rates when the economy seems to be doing fairly decent? If you want the rates lowered, you should be hoping for bad economic data (I'm not).
I apologize if you took my post as a criticism of yours.

It wasn't intended that way.

Reactions: cfbfan23
So you agree with what I was saying. Weird that you would say that lacks a basic understanding of economics then. Policies put in place to deal with Covid, delays in implementing any policies, combined with a supply chain collapse creating scarcity of goods, caused run away inflation. Prices went up and now they aren't going back down because that's not what businesses do as long as people still buy those goods.

No. I didn’t agree with anything you said. You blamed it all on corporate greed and you are wrong. Period.

Are grocery store prices REALLY astronomical? They are higher in many areas. My entire life prices have consistently gone up while packaging size has shrunk. Not to mention, half of the rising costs are corporations raising prices under the guise of inflation. I wish more people would understand that fact.
People are lazy and stupid, let's keep that in mind. Most have reference points of gas and McDonalds, that's about it. Most also don't buy different items from different stores. Wifey (no pic) and I buy a lot of meat, veggies and fruit from Aldi where it is easily 30% cheaper. Bulk items come from Sam's Club. We only buy from Hy-Vee or the other big grocery stores if they're having crazy sales or we are in a pinch. I can cook a great meal for my family of four for under $10.

Go into a McDonalds and see the clientele watching Fox Network and you can see where some voters get their "news".

Reactions: Tom Paris
No. I didn’t agree with anything you said. You blamed it all on corporate greed and you are wrong. Period.
Then you don't understand what I'm saying and you are building assumptions by adding things I did not say. Not surprising. I provided multiple sources showing that corporate greed was a major contributor, if not the greatest contributor to increased prices right now. Just because you don't like that because it can't be blamed on Biden doesn't make it not true. No where did I say it was the only reason, in fact, I provided several other reasons. Something else you seem to not be reading.

Then you don't understand what I'm saying and you are building assumptions by adding things I did not say. Not surprising. I provided multiple sources showing that corporate greed was a major contributor, if not the greatest contributor to increased prices right now. Just because you don't like that because it can't be blamed on Biden doesn't make it not true. No where did I say it was the only reason, in fact, I provided several other reasons. Something else you seem to not be reading.

If you think I am blaming Biden you are a bigger Moran than I gave you credit for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT