ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: What is your favorite 1960s sitcom?

What is your favorite 1960s sitcom?

• Green Acres

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • The Addams Family

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The Beverly Hillbillies

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • The Andy Griffith Show

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Mister Ed

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • The Dick Van Dyke Show

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Bewitched

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My Favorite Martian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gilligan’s Island

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
bewitched-tv.jpg

gilligan-s-island.jpg

1182874481_1.jpg

For me, no show has ever been funnier than the Beverly Hillbillies.

‘Who’s saying it’s not gonna rain today?’

‘Chief Meteorologist’ says miss Jane

‘Well them Indians are real good at reading weather signs but I’ll stick with Granny’s prediction.’

• Haha
Reactions: Thunderlips71
The best is undoubtedly the Dick Van Dyke Show. My favorite has always been Gilligan's Island. Three words why...Mary Ann

• Love
Reactions: h-hawk
Last edited:
I don't think it is any coincidence that MTM starred in two of the best shows ever. When producer Danny Thomas remembered her name as a suggestion to Carl Riener for Laura Petrie she was a little known actress whose biggest role was as receptionist where you only heard her voice and saw her legs. But it took Carl Reiner only a few lines of dialogue to know he had found the right person after having dozens of actresses audition.

And yes, I too adore her.

i

For sitcoms, the 60s was the best imo. No idea was too far out there to try. See my Mother the Car.

Andy Griffith wasn’t funny but Barney Fife was.

Phil Silvers was always hilarious, wish he’d done more.

You know my Dad would not allow that show on in his house. His first cousin was a POW in a German camp.
My grandpa was a POW in a German camp too and I know they starved him to near death but for whatever reason he liked the show and laughed along.

Reactions: goldmom
My grandpa was a POW in a German camp too and I know they starved him to near death but for whatever reason he liked the show and laughed along.
I met Dad’s cousin many years later in the 80’s. He had survived eating out of the garbage cans. Came home, GI Bill and found big time success on Wall Street.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
The actors that played the Germans - Klink, Schultz, Bulkharter - were all Jewish immigrants and deliberately played their characters as buffoons. Klink (Werner Klemperer) was a German refugee and Schultz (John Banner) and Gen. Bulkharter (Leon Askin) were both Austrian refugees who all came here fleeing Nazis and took their roles as a way to skewer and ridicule them.

I met Dad’s cousin many years later in the 80’s. He had survived eating out of the garbage cans. Came home, GI Bill and found big time success on Wall Street.
My gramps never gained any weight back and the only time he ever raised his voice at anyone was if they put food on their plate and didn’t eat it. He wasn’t a huge financial success but a very successful family man and small business owner.

The Germans hardly had any food so the prisoners had far less. He once saw a German shot for picking up a turnip that had fallen off a truck.

I think the only one that I've actually seen many episodes of is Gilligan's Island.

That said I've heard that the Dick Van Dyke Show was incredibly progressive towards racial equality in it's time so I'm not sure if you can beat that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT