ADVERTISEMENT

Preakness horse euthanized

That’s why I don’t run
*user is a horse*

Shark Tank Writing GIF

So, if betting on the ponies is outlawed, will people still ride them recreationally? If so, they'll continue to have injuries and deaths.

The REAL result of outlawing horse racing will mean fewer horses because you remove a major motivation to breed horses.

Do you think anyone is breeding greyhounds anymore?

Thoroughbred horse racing is a dying sport and quite frankly unnecessary and inhumane. I could not care less about there being fewer horses because the number I need personally is exactly zero.

As for greyhounds, there should be someone breeding them, my greyhound is the best dog I’ve ever had AINEC. Best family dog ever.

Thoroughbred horse racing is a dying sport and quite frankly unnecessary and inhumane. I could not care less about there being fewer horses because the number I need personally is exactly zero.

As for greyhounds, there should be someone breeding them, my greyhound is the best dog I’ve ever had AINEC. Best family dog ever.

Do you have a track in your backyard with a mechanical rabbit so your greyhound can stretch her legs?

Do you have a track in your backyard with a mechanical rabbit so your greyhound can stretch her legs?

No, that would be awesome though. I doubt our girl would show much interest unit though. Ours is 10 years old and was a champion racer in her day, then was bred several times and littered more champs.

Off leash at the dog park she does one quick burst then stands around wanting to leave. She likes to walk as long as the weather is good. Greyhounds are either upright or laying down, they don’t sit. Our girl is a couch potato, just lays around watching the world go by but she does love attention from other people and friendly dogs.

Is it horses or horse racing you are concerned about? (Repeat. You didn’t answer earlier.)

Why not both?

My concern is that things that have been a mainstay of Florida's unique culture for decades can be outlawed in the blink of an eye.

See: Greyhound racing.

Longwood High School's mascot is the Greyhounds because the campus was near the dog track that has now been torn down and turned into townhomes....

Why not both?

My concern is that things that have been a mainstay of Florida's unique culture for decades can be outlawed in the blink of an eye.

See: Greyhound racing.

Longwood High School's mascot is the Greyhounds because the campus was near the dog track that has now been torn down and turned into townhomes....
You mad?

Am I not understanding the article? This was an undercard race but also says the horse was scheduled to run in the Preakness

"It leaves just seven horses in the race, including another Baffert entry, National Treasure."
That’s wrong. The 1 horse fell in race 6. Took a bad step and flipped over. Broke leg beyond repair. Jockey Saenz was taken in an ambulance.

No, but I don’t eat horses. What does that have to do with it?
You asked “Would fewer horses break their legs and be euthanized in the absence of racing? Yes or no.?”

Well…Cows and chickens damned sure wouldn’t be killed if it weren’t for all you people liking the taste of them. The difference being… at least in racing they’re not being killed on purpose. It’s an accident every time. And up to that point they live way better lives than any cow or chicken being raised for the very specific purpose of being killed.

You asked “Would fewer horses break their legs and be euthanized in the absence of racing? Yes or no.?”

Well…Cows and chickens damned sure wouldn’t be killed if it weren’t for all you people liking the taste of them. The difference being… at least in racing they’re not being killed on purpose. It’s an accident every time. And up to that point they live way better lives than any cow or chicken being raised for the very specific purpose of being killed.
Lol, ok. That’s just dumb. We have to eat and cows and chickens aren’t raised for sport in addition to being a food source.

Also, you are aware of how many horses are bred and disposed of? It’s not just about those injured in the act of racing or training.

Lol, ok. That’s just dumb. We have to eat and cows and chickens aren’t raised for sport in addition to being a food source.

Also, you are aware of how many horses are bred and disposed of? It’s not just about those injured in the act of racing or training.

Disposed of?

Like, just killed because they aren't fast enough?

But that’s what we are talking about. Horses are going to die because they run or get old. The ones that race know they’re racing. They run hard without being whipped and know where the finish line is. A very large majority live incredibly well. And go on to live long heathy lives raised by people who love them. They’re not being raised to die. They’re being raised with purpose and everything is done to make sure they don’t die by 99% of the people involved with the sport.

It’s way worse to stack 50 chickens in a cage, pump them full of steroids, let them shit all over each other then chop their heads off. No matter how delicious that may be.

But that’s what we are talking about. Horses are going to die because they run or get old. The ones that race know they’re racing. They run hard without being whipped and know where the finish line is. A very large majority live incredibly well. And go on to live long heathy lives raised by people who love them. They’re not being raised to die. They’re being raised with purpose and everything is done to make sure they don’t die by 99% of the people involved with the sport.

It’s way worse to stack 50 chickens in a cage, pump them full of steroids, let them shit all over each other then chop their heads off. No matter how delicious that may be.

Well now hold on one goshdarn minute, here... "delicious" is an important part of the calculus.

But race horses break a lot more legs than non racers. They're bred for it.
It’s kind of a shock to see a thoroughbred horse up close because they’re built a little different than a quarter horse or a Clydesdale. Large torso and chest but skinny legs compared to other strains.

Why? The value of thoroughbreds would be destroyed.
No they wouldn’t. I bought a horse off the track and trained him in dressage. My great grandfather raised Tennessee walkers and Percherons.

You obviously don’t know horse people. Horses are like huge dogs. My dad taught me that. I’ve been riding since I was five years old.

Personally I love horses, but I’m not a huge fan of racing.

It's the drugs and the strain of the training regimens on the horses. I heard a story on NPR about this. US trainers still use way too many drugs and in doses that are too large compared to nations like England. Other countries do not have the number of horse deaths as we have in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT