ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction: Clark will be on Olympic team

I predict either someone will say they are injured or a player will say they’re stepping aside because they’ve been to the Olympics several times, to make room for Clark. It’s too big of a black eye, and I predict they will reverse themselves. Add to that Nike probably threatening to pull their support of the WNBA and you’ve got a problem.
Stepping aside to make room doesn't seem like something these women would do.

They are more likely to play, have high ratings bc the world is watching, and then use that to prove they are a big draw.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
If she does make the team, Caitlin would be the Christain Laettner of the women's dream team.

Nike and NBC will lobby for CC to be on the team, but I think she should stay home and get some much deserved rest.
She no more laettnery than taurasi, at this point in taurasi’s career. Caitlin can compete at PG.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Stepping aside to make room doesn't seem like something these women would do.

They are more likely to play, have high ratings bc the world is watching, and then use that to prove they are a big draw.
High ratings? The world hasn’t watched them win the last 7 Olympics, so why would Paris be any different?

I’m going to match their pettiness and will go out of my way to make sure I don’t watch a second of the women’s games. Just like I’ve done every other Olympic up to this point lol.

I'll say it again.....Never underestimate the jealousy and pettiness that women will display towards other women, even if it negatively affects their own self interests. It's a story as old as time.

None of the decision making has anything to do with deserving or not deserving. The Olympics long ago stopped being about "amateur competition" and is all about money and business, which is why putting CC on the team should have been a no-brainer.....except for the rule I mentioned above. Women will sabotage their own self interests over and over again if it means putting another woman in her place.

I predict either someone will say they are injured or a player will say they’re stepping aside because they’ve been to the Olympics several times, to make room for Clark. It’s too big of a black eye, and I predict they will reverse themselves. Add to that Nike probably threatening to pull their support of the WNBA and you’ve got a problem.
No. They're 99% black so I don't see them doing anything like that to appease a white girl and her fans.

High ratings? The world hasn’t watched them win the last 7 Olympics, so why would Paris be any different?

I’m going to match their pettiness and will go out of my way to make sure I don’t watch a second of the women’s games. Just like I’ve done every other Olympic up to this point lol.
The rest of the world would watch to see what it is that has Americans so gung-ho about women's basketball. It's making international news that she is not on the team.

What really is frustrating about that "old, veteran, know-it-all USA Basketball selection committee", is the lame ass spin for their reasons to not include her. Just say what you're really thinking, you don't need to concern themselves with fan's reactions; you're insulting our intelligence, something that comes across that the committee does not have.

Lastly, promotion is what it's all about; how often have we heard "follow the $$$$$".
Read reporter Christine Brennan's article for the USA Today paper..... especially USA Basketball' mission statement to "promote women's basketball at at levels".

Look at the selection committee (Staley) and the players. If they were paid according to viewership numbers they would welcome Clark. But they're not so they'll be racist and petty and protect their own.

Can you imagine how much more hate Clark will get if they end up putting her on the roster?

The lesbian king kongs will really be going after her.
I really feel that the next month is going to be "Caitlin sticking it to the USA Olympic Basketball committee". I always thought that once she got through the initial gauntlet of games every other day against the best teams in the league we would see a Clark that is much closer to the Clark we saw at Iowa, but now with this additional motivation? Watch out. She has the Jordan killer instinct and she's definitely taking this personally, even if she doesn't say that publicly.

Do people really think she's the greatest women's basketball player in the world right now??? There have been games where she wasn't the top 3 players on the floor this year. She could push for being Top 10 in the league still this year, but she's not there right now.

She was for sure the best COLLEGE SCORER of all time, statistically speaking. Best player, maybe.

I love CC, but there are many facets of the game where she is behind multiple players in the W, including ball handling against pressure defense, taking care of the ball, on-ball defense, team defense positioning, blocking out.

I do think it sucks that Taurasin made it at age 42, especially after 5 other trips. But Ogunbawale should be next in.

Reactions: littlez and amahawk
Do people really think she's the greatest women's basketball player in the world right now??? There have been games where she wasn't the top 3 players on the floor this year. She could push for being Top 10 in the league still this year, but she's not there right now.

She was for sure the best COLLEGE SCORER of all time, statistically speaking. Best player, maybe.

I love CC, but there are many facets of the game where she is behind multiple players in the W, including ball handling against pressure defense, taking care of the ball, on-ball defense, team defense positioning, blocking out.

I do think it sucks that Taurasin made it at age 42, especially after 5 other trips. But Ogunbawale should be next in.
can’t really say it better than Stephen and shannon

I really feel that the next month is going to be "Caitlin sticking it to the USA Olympic Basketball committee". I always thought that once she got through the initial gauntlet of games every other day against the best teams in the league we would see a Clark that is much closer to the Clark we saw at Iowa, but now with this additional motivation? Watch out. She has the Jordan killer instinct and she's definitely taking this personally, even if she doesn't say that publicly.
I agree.

I thought the same thing once she got through these tough games.

Honestly, 3-9 isn’t that bad of a start to the season considering her coach, teammates, schedule, & frequency of games.

I’m shocked at how she’s dominating the league already.

I didn’t see it coming this early in her career.

I look for her #’s to keep going up in this next month.

Especially when she gets to play against the shitty teams & shitty players like Reese more often.

start at 5:30
From a marketing perspective, she should've been on. That is a no brainer. Eye balls, excitement, etc. For sure she should be on. Obviously, that's not the main concern for those who put together the team. They are also thinking about: how she'll gel with vets, how loud the noise/distraction will be when she isn't playing as much as others like, how to best defend great players, etc.

I just don't think her play IN THE WNBA has earned it yet.

Reactions: littlez

Well, she hasn't proven it yet, but she certainly has the potential. No one argues whether or not the US will still be heavily favored to win whether she is on or off the team. The results will be the same. But they shouldn't be pissing away an opportunity like this but it is exactly what they are doing.

From a marketing perspective, she should've been on. That is a no brainer. Eye balls, excitement, etc. For sure she should be on. Obviously, that's not the main concern for those who put together the team. They are also thinking about: how she'll gel with vets, how loud the noise/distraction will be when she isn't playing as much as others like, how to best defend great players, etc.

Then the W can just be quiet about pay and eyeballs. They can’t have it both ways. That is what they’ve been trying to do, and a redwood tree just crushed the camel’s back. In any event, how terrible would it have been to add a 13th player?

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Crazy to think that Clark's effect on the women's game, has aroused the curiousity of many, all around the world, and a new appreciation for women's basketball. Are the "Powers That Be" gambling, and hoping that the ratings may not be as high without her, but higher than they would be ordinarily, because of her impact? Nah.

Fastest ever to 200 points. I’d say a good start. Now one can say it’s her first year and let’s see how it goes. But let’s not be naive.
Strike 1: She is straight
Strike 2: She is Christian
Strike 3: She is wildly popular and already a millionaire.
Does not help that she is white either.

I agree, but what's wild is that there are dozens of posts calling them Uncle Tom's for having this take 😂

So apparently a black person can't have a positive take on Caitlin Clark or think she should be on the Olympic team without playing the game that "yt folks" want. It's textbook racism and these people have no shame in posting it for all to see lol.

Screenshot-2024-06-10-at-5-42-53-PM.png

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
While I agree she shouldn't be on the roster, I wonder how much the players had a voice. I'm reminded that MJ didn't want Isaiah Thomas on the Dream Team. Basically said I'll play if he's not on it. Aaaaand.... Thomas didn't make the team.

Did any vets (Taurasi?) express strong sentiments that they personally didn't want her on the team with them?

Appreciate the other opinions shared! One thing is for sure: CC is appreciated, which she has absolutely earned.

While I agree she shouldn't be on the roster, I wonder how much the players had a voice. I'm reminded that MJ didn't want Isaiah Thomas on the Dream Team. Basically said I'll play if he's not on it. Aaaaand.... Thomas didn't make the team.

Did any vets (Taurasi?) express strong sentiments that they personally didn't want her on the team with them?

Appreciate the other opinions shared! One thing is for sure: CC is appreciated, which she has absolutely earned.
I doubt DT said she wouldn't be on the team but she has a lot of allies in the organization. I'm not opposed to not inviting a player due to team chemistry reasons but there is a difference between what Jordan did and what would have taken place here. Thomas spent years being an asshole and building up animosity with other players in the league. Walking out before the final game when the Bulls finally beat them is just icing on the cake. The hatred towards him was earned. DT just decided she didn't like Clark because Clark is making a crapton more money than she had her entire career before she ever set foot on a professional floor. You can attribute it to other reasons, but the thing is she just decided she wasn't going to like this girl. Maybe she felt her Queen Bee status was threatened or something. Clark did nothing to earn any of this animosity. In that case, a well run organization runs those people out but obviously that didn't happen here.

Reactions: spiderland

Very American of you.

Reactions: littlez
The stupidity of whoever is in charge of the WNBA is beyond comprehension. First, that stupid schedule. Second, not demanding better from the refs in their league. And third, not making sure Katlyn was on the Olympic team.
Myself, I'm glad she's not on the Olympic team. She doesn't need them, but they sure could use her. Not because of her basketball play, but for their own image.

Very American of you.
Lol I'm sure you've watched the same number of USA women's basketball games that I have.

My main focus for Paris is Spencer Lee, but I'll watch my usual favorites: wrestling, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, volleyball, etc.

I think this has the potential to be pretty sweet:

She no more laettnery than taurasi, at this point in taurasi’s career. Caitlin can compete at PG.
So you are saying Taurasi is the token living legend on the team? Kind of like Sue Bird on the last US Olympic team? I'm ok with that. Few have done more for the women's game.

Clark's time will come IF she continues to develop her game, adds muscle/toughness, controls her on-court whining and stays healthy the next 4 years.

Given the current criteria for making the Olympic team, being a living legend or a proven star/all-star in the WNBA, we can see why she was left off the team. The old guard does not want to share the stage with the shiny new toy.

CC is turning the ball over at a near historic clip.

I can totally see not bringing her because of the distraction her limited minutes would be. Her time will come and I expect she gets a chance in 4 years.
She is turning the ball over yes, how many arm bars, grabs, big bumps, and physical reach ins has she endured without fouls being called. I bet that physical shitty defensive style gets fouls called in the Olympics.

I havent even watched many Fever minutes but she gets hammered alot. I also think CC has not got used to the overall much better player speed in the wnba vs college

Reactions: Tenacious E
The fever and cc did themselves no favors tonite
I just looked at last nights +/- for the fever in the box score and all 5 starters were big time negatives.

But the Conn Sun is one of the better wnba teams and the Fever being poor are going to have trouble against those teams.

CC only took 8 shots in 22 minutes BUT much better with only 3 turnovers

Fastest ever to 200 points. I’d say a good start. Now one can say it’s her first year and let’s see how it goes. But let’s not be naive.
This right here.

Never heard her mention thanks to god or thanks to Jesus but maybe she has…most of the football players who do it go out of their way to do it on camera…

I don’t think CC can win no matter what happens.

If she were to say **** it and join Ice Cube, then she’s a quitter. Couldn’t handle a real league. Money chaser

If she sticks around, gets better, stronger, it’ll be due to the league catering to her. Not any actual growth on her part. Or maybe the Fever get some better players, so she can’t do it on her own!!

I have never seen so much hate towards a player. I definitely blame media / social media. The latter especially. It’s similar to Taylor Swift….literally no one on the world hated her until she showed up to a football game haha. Then the media blows up a small % of loud voices and we all believe there’s some controversy

Soccer has messiah’s all the time and they go out of their way to get these players out there. Let them perform and show their stuff. They take their lumps but it’s not like what we’re seeing in the WNBA. Imagine Messi getting tackled by 8 guys every where he goes and no calls….of course no one could ever catch him when he was on the dribble haha….but pro sports give their stars (and others) the opportunity to shine. The W is garbage

Caitlin would do better in the men’s league.

Then the W can just be quiet about pay and eyeballs. They can’t have it both ways. That is what they’ve been trying to do, and a redwood tree just crushed the camel’s back. In any event, how terrible would it have been to add a 13th player?
If she’s never going to play why would you add her? I get it, we all love CC as the hometown hero but why add her to sit on the bench? They don’t need her right now. You can argue about marketing, etc, but people watch the Olympics because it’s for our country and it’s every 4 years. And right now she’s not a top 10-13 player in the league. The Olympics doesn’t need marketing. And CC will be fine. She has plenty of room to keep growing her game as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT