Votes: 25 11.7%

Votes: 41 19.2%

Votes: 81 37.9%

Votes: 54 25.2%

• Total voters

LaxHawk174

HB All-American
Jan 15, 2014
Just for fun, out of the big fish we had in this past weekend how many do you think will end up committed to Iowa?
Marcus Blaze (#2 FLO / #3 Matscouts) - Cadet World Champ. I would say 133/141, exactly what we need. Hoping we have enough allure to pull him from his brother @ Purdue and other suitors.
LaDarian Lockett (#3 FLO / #2 Matscouts) - Cadet World Champ. Looks like a 165, I would imagine 74kg is his future weight, unless he starts to get bigger. Would be a major coup to steal from OkSt.
Will Henckel (#7 FLO / #5 Matscouts) - Blair Kid projects 165/174 could see him getting bigger but he looks like he could have a Shane Griffith type build. WNO participant, win over Sealey at U20 trials or open.
Leo DeLuca (#6 FLO / #6 Matscouts) - Blair Kid looks like a 125 all the way. Maybe career 125? WNO participant, dominated Fargo.
CJ Torres (#24 FLO / #12 Matscouts) - Izzy Style Kid who wrestles for LHP in Florida. Personally haven't watched much of him yet, but he looks like a 165-184 type build.

Important to note that Blaze and Lockett have olympic redshirts already secured for maximum future lineup flexibility. Kennedy and Caliendo will be in their final years of eligibility when Lockett/Henckel/Torres would be true freshman. For lightweights In 2025-2026 Ayala will also be on his final year with Kennedy and Caliendo, Schriever would have one final year I think because of Covid if he wanted it. Then Petersen and Cruz are the other options currently.

I saw Will Henckel's Mom made a really nice Instagram post about the whole families visit to Iowa.

Maybe there are potentially other top 25 guys in play, but I'm not sure who. Maybe the Gilroy boys will visit on their own?

I really want to get DeLuca and Blaze for the lightweights. Lockett is amazing and I think would be anybodys first choice for the middle uppers. IDK how likely it would be that we get both Lockett and Henckel. Maybe we can manage to pull it off, but if Lockett goes to OSU as many assume he will. I have a feeling Henckel would make Hawk fans very happy. Maybe I'll end up being able to say the same about Torres, I just haven't watched him enough to comment.

The dream scenario is all 4 of the top 10's who visited. More likely is 2, and would be absolutely thrilled with 3. I'm going with the optimistic 3. DeLuca/Blaze and one of Lockett/Henckel/Torres.

What say you?

all-of-them.gif

Other than Mark Perry and Mike Evans(off the top of my head) how much success has Iowa had recruiting Blair wrestlers?

We need 2 minimum, and I feel confident that will happen. 3 would be great. If we don’t get DeLuca and Blaze, we will likely be hunting the portal or starting a true freshman from the 2026 class at 125/133.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
Steve Mocco. Do Anthony and AJ Ferrari count? Lol. No time like the present to reverse the trend! Both Blair kids who visited seem like great kids.
Make no mistake, I am all for it. I just couldn’t remember anyone else off the top of my head and even both of those go back quite a ways. Mocco and Rico go back so far these recruits weren’t even born yet, lol…

Haven't followed Torres very closely. Will definitely be watching him at S32s. He's seeded 3rd at 150. Potential semis matchup with Hawkeye recruit Miguel Estrada.

Any updates on Knox? It seems as though that train has been a bit derailed but admittedly I wasn’t sure we were high on his list to begin with.

We are in need of some lightweight mojo. Have we lost our traction with Young Guns?
Just curious

Reactions: dhm47
I love all of you that said all 5, good for you and your positivity. Sadly, I am a miserable, realistic f*ck……
Look we had better get a fire cooking and now! F*** st has upped the ante again and IOWA has got to make a statement. Need a BIG class to go with the nice men we have to get back in the title race.

Setting the bar at 3 and taking the over!!!

Penn st has everything they need for awhile which puts Iowa in a good spot. NIL $ won't be an issue for Iowa and they gotta nail that class. I expect a good group from this class
True about Penn state, but they never cease to amaze me how they keep stock piling top talent. Duke just committed and I believe his weight will land where they already have a log jam of talent.

True about Penn state, but they never cease to amaze me how they keep stock piling top talent. Duke just committed and I believe his weight will land where they already have a log jam of talent.
I think the new NIL and transfer rules are making it easier for them to stockpile. They are top dog by a wide margin and there is less risk for the athlete knowing they can go somewhere else if they don’t rise to the top. I don’t think other schools can take advantage as much so F** State can benefit even more.

I think the new NIL and transfer rules are making it easier for them to stockpile. They are top dog by a wide margin and there is less risk for the athlete knowing they can go somewhere else if they don’t rise to the top. I don’t think other schools can take advantage as much so F** State can benefit even more.
For sure they're. The issue is they won't spend $ they don't have to spend. They can definitely pay less currently because they're winning. Every kid who's 16-18 when they put on wrestling shoes at 5 -7 years old Penn st was winning and they still are it's all the kids know. So that's where all the studs want to go no different then the Gable era

Penn st has everything they need for awhile which puts Iowa in a good spot. NIL $ won't be an issue for Iowa and they gotta nail that class. I expect a good group from this class
It's a huge, program-defining opportunity. Without PSU in the mix for many of these guys, they can't afford not to pull in a huge haul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT