ADVERTISEMENT

Prior to Iowa beating Michigan in 1981, Iowa Had Not Beat Michigan Since 1962

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
The old story is Iowa gave Oklahoma with Billy Sims (who was a stud), a good game in Norman but lost in Hayden's early years and Hayden said if I see a smile on the bus I will crack your lip or something like that.

Nobody told the Iowa team in 1981 that they couldn't beat Michigan in the Big House.

Believe me, nobody bitched about the lack of offense that year.

From 1968 - 1980 only Michigan and Ohio State had won B1G Football.

Nobody thought, fricking Iowa would be the team to break the string of Mich and OSU dominating the B1G.

Iowa won that day 9-7.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
There were several years in there where Iowa and Michigan did not play each other. However mediocre Michigan football was then (before Bo) Iowa was worse...after Bo arrived...Iowa could not compete with them until after Hayden got there. I’m thinking that Kirk has had as much success vs. Michigan as any Iowa FB coach. Evy had very good teams but had a devil of a time beating some pretty average Michigan teams..I think he beat them once and tied them once...and lost to them 4-5 times. I remember one year Iowa fans felt Evy “played Michigan for a tie” and they really turned on him. Evy was a Michigan grad, to fuel that fire.

The old story is Iowa gave Oklahoma with Billy Sims (who was a stud), a good game in Norman but lost in Hayden's early years and Hayden said if I see a smile on the bus I will crack your lip or something like that.

Nobody told the Iowa team in 1981 that they couldn't beat Michigan in the Big House.

Nobody thought, fricking Iowa would be the team to break the string of Mich and OSU dominating the B1G.

Iowa won that day 9-7.

Go Hawks!
That game was a good one. It wasn’t nationally televised but they had it on the big screen via closed-circuit TV at the Five Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids so my old man took me to watch. I was only ten at the time and the two main things I remember is they were selling beer so the crowd was pretty raucous, and there was a single Michigan fan in attendance who sat in the front row of the first balcony. He was wearing a Michigan scarf and a maize and blue stocking cap with one of those fuzzy balls on the top. I wasn’t sitting very close to him but I think he was running his mouth the entire game, so when the game ended an Iowa fan sitting next to him plucked the hat off his head and tossed it down to the floor level where a bunch of happy drunks proceeded to stomp on it.

Iowa won that day 9-7.

Go Hawks!
Iowa lost to about everyone between 1961 and 1980, not just Michigan

That game was a good one. It wasn’t nationally televised but they had it on the big screen via closed-circuit TV at the Five Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids so my old man took me to watch. I was only ten at the time and the two main things I remember is they were selling beer so the crowd was pretty raucous, and there was a single Michigan fan in attendance who sat in the front row of the first balcony. He was wearing a Michigan scarf and a maize and blue stocking cap with one of those fuzzy balls on the top. I wasn’t sitting very close to him but I think he was running his mouth the entire game, so when the game ended an Iowa fan sitting next to him plucked the hat off his head and tossed it down to the floor level where a bunch of happy drunks proceeded to stomp on it.
Wait, what? I was living in CR at the time and had my head glued to a cheap AM radio! I had absolutely no idea they did that. 1981 was such a GREAT year after a couple of decades of suffering with zero expectations.

Was it expensive? Was there a big crowd?

Dam! Something else I missed in my youth!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT